Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  09:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Les: I did a test on 5 pieces of wire with very light washes. Polly Scale oily black and rust. Floquil weathered black, rust, and old silver.

The winner was Polly Scale oily black; left a nice dull finish with a hint of brown from the insulation(?) and wire showing through.

Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  10:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I turned the last page of the instruction manual and checked the last box. I guess that means I'm done with this build. However, if its like my On30 modules, they are never done. Always one more detail or tree or schrub to add or something to touch up or remodel.

Final photos are attached. Hope you enjoy.

This structure was part 1 of Brett's Deer Creek Backwoods Sawmill complex. The other part of 1 is 10 pieces of sawmill machinery which I will start to assemble. I believe it would be appropriate to start a new topic to cover this build and the sawmill structure itself which is due out later this year.

The entire sawmill complex will eventually end up on an On30 module (or two) and will play a major role on the Morgan Hill Mining and Lumber Railroad. I look forward to sharing the build with fellow modelers and hope that you stick with me. Your comments and suggestions played a major role in this build and my ability to get to the end.

Thanks again....Joe CCCModOn30

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  11:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic piece of work, Joe. Iím looking forward to watching you build the module.

George

Fly Army

rfmicro
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  11:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Always nice to see a delapodated, old building with a new roof.

V/R
Trent Mulkern
Mechanicsville, MD 20659

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  5:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

Nice real nice. I'll be waiting for the next start up. Great work.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  5:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice scene, Joe. The addition of the greenery has given a substantial plus to the scene. The detailing was really excellent, but these green areas seem to provide our eyes with places to wander between the more structured parts of the diorama.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  7:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well detailed and constructed - fine modeling to be sure

Elliott

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  9:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rfmicro

Joe,

Always nice to see a delapodated, old building with a new roof.

V/R
Trent Mulkern
Mechanicsville, MD 20659

The first thing to repair/replace/maintain in a structure should always be the roof.

There just isn't any point spending money on something under an old leaky roof, you might as well just throw those $$'s away.

Maintain the roof first and then anything else that gets around to being repaired underneath will be adequately protected........

Karl.A

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  9:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,
I am thoroughly impressed with your modeling.
It looks very nice from your photo's.
Does anyone know where an HO modeler can find Ho scale figures like the one's that you O scale modelers have in your builds? Or similar to what Brian Nolan had in Addison's? The guy by the tractor, scratching his head? Thanks
Rich

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  9:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Preiser are probably the finest detailed/sculpted HO figures that I know of.

One of their 'unpainted' assortments should yield something close to what you want.

As they(the figures) are made from soft plastic removing limbs and repositioning them into the position that you want is relatively simple. Even swapping limbs between figures.

At about $25 for a 120 count of unpainted figures set, a few trials and errors is relatively painless to the wallet.

Karl.A

rfmicro
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  06:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl A,

Admittedly that's a good story line and I must admit that I would have used it too. But it so stands out from the rest of the diorama, that it begs for an answer. You cannot place a 3 x 5 card explaining what has transpired, but you could place a small advertising sign at the front of the building saying something like "XYZ Roofing call 1-800-642-3450" or something more atuned to your neck of the woods. Something in scale and using three lines of text would be nice. That way the viewer has some relative relationship with the sign and the new roof without having to ask "why the new roof on such a delapodated building". The sign tells the story without your getting involved. And that is what dioramas are all about - telling a story.

V/R
Trent Mulkern
Mechanicsvile, MD 20659

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  07:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DO YOU THINK THEY HAD 800 NUMBERS BACK THEN

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  10:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your kind words and positive response for the build. It is surely appreciated.

Now for the roof.....I can understand the comments from Trent and Karl. We had briefly discussed this in the past and put some raw materials out back hoping to show that the roof was recently redone. I liked that idea.

If this is not enough(?), how about I take a strip of shingles off of the roof showing the underneath structure/tarpaper. I'm thinking like 1/2" from bottom to top. Then position the ladder with a repairman climbing up to finish the roof. Throw some new shingles/tarpaper scraps around the work surface and call it good. Comments welcomed....Joe CCCModOn30

edlek
Section Hand

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  2:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Karl. The concept of a old building with a new roof makes sense to me. Gable roofs are a lot easier and cheaper to fix then the equipment underneath.

A quick way to show that the roof was redone would be to pile up a bunch of old shingles next to the wood pile, ready to provide some additional fuel to the boiler.

Ed

PS Very Nice Scene

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  4:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

DO YOU THINK THEY HAD 800 NUMBERS BACK THEN

Jerry

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000