Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 140 ]  [ Total: 143 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2011 :  11:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

Nice job I like the added greenery & Trees.

I know you don't check but I sent you a PM. And once again I thank you great surprise in the mialbox Friday!!!!

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  1:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Like Jerry, the greenery looks great.
May be some dried leaves around the edges (not so neat & tidy).
I like to use used tea for this.
The color of your rust bothers me though, takes away from the overall look.
Just darken it, and add some variation, just too bright.
The boiler is a good reference.
-Marty

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  3:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe
You're doing a great job with this build and it's been a pleasure to watch it all come together. I do have to agree with Marty on the rust color. I know for sure this very orangy colored rust is definitely found in the real world but I just don't think it scales down as well as darker tones of rust. On some smaller objects perhaps but on large boilers and tanks it just blares out at you too much. It could be toned down just by dusting on some black or very dark umber chalk.
Kevin

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  8:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your encouraging words on the scenery progress. And a big thank you to Marty and Kevin for pointiong out the rust issue which I will attempt to correct. I'll try Kevin's idea first. Looking at the photos really points this out. Every step of the way tends to bring out different problem areas.

I like the idea of using tea for leaves Marty, I've never used it, but will shortly. I have the other two sides scenery done and have cut out the signs. What is that up ahead? Could it be the finish line.....Regards, Joe CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  12:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: Photos of the 3rd side and front that have been scenicked. I also took a shot of the little mini-scene that Kris recommended showing the left over material from the re-roofing job.

Working on the last details and searching for shiney things that need to be fixed. Keep the comments coming and have a great Easter weekend.

Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  12:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joe,
Thats really a nice piece of work, everytime I look at I see something different, and make a note to try that or use that with my efforts.

Les

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  1:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe,

Really a nice job on the build. Looking forward to the next venture.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  4:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done

Elliott

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  6:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done Joe. You could get down to the super nit-picks at this point, but why worry with such an outstanding build. I, for one, am also looking forward to seeing your next build.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  06:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had time to roll through this build......
very well done in all aspects....

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  06:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
karl...the master of detail finish....
amazing!

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  10:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for your comments and continued support. This is a terrific kit, a lot of fun to build, and it has been great working with everyone to get it to a higher level.

My son-in-law will be over Sunday with his super camera and talents in taking pictures. If the weather cooperates, we'll try to get some finals shots outside.

And Kris, please send me your super nit-picks. I also have a couple of things that I'm not sure about:(1) the ladder was made with left over 2 X 4's, I'm thinking I should have use dowels on the rungs and (2) I used wire fishing leaders on the guy wires instead of brass wire and I'm not happy with the teflon/plastic coating look. I tried to dull it down with Dullcoat but that didn't help.

Take care, have a great weekend....Joe

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2011 :  4:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It really looks great Joe, very nice work. I like the finished edge to the base also, a professional look to the scene.

Karl.A

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  09:40:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl.....Joe CCCModOn30

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2011 :  10:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joe and Karl,
I second that on the base finish...nothing bugs me more than to see a nice diorama with pink or blue foam showing and dribbles of paint and coming out the back or side.

I like the guy wire, it probably should have a dull gray look with specs of rust and soot.

Les

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000