Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 199 ]  [ Total: 203 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  10:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the continued interest guys, sorry there has been no progress as yet, hopefully over the weekend some 'stuff' will have arrived so I can start on the machinery, if not I'll probably go ahead on the structure itself as I now know how it will fit into my scene (thanks Brett).

Joe I'll look forward to you joining in with your build, or at least following along until you are ready to start.

More soon,
Karl.

Edited by - UKGuy on 03/04/2010 10:04:21 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

So have we gotten the parts yet? And if so why is there a delay?
I'm looking forward to the start of this!!

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

belg
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  7:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Hi Pat, sorry we 'cross-posted'...

the garage layout was just for Mums visit last year really and to make use of all the HO stuff I had taking up space rather than just let it sit in drawers. That thing hasnt been touched in almost a year, except when I open the truck door too wide and bump against it, or, I need somewhere to put down a tool, paintcan, junk, some 2x4's.

Darkside ??? I consider it from the opposite perspective in that "I have seen the light !!"

HO isnt abandoned completely though, and then there is always Nn3......

Thanks for the post I have missed your inputs.

Karl.

Karl, I'm glad to see your keeping all your eggs in one really big basket. So I have to say I don't remember reading if Mom was properly impressed with sonny boys' work? Pat

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  11:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quick update: I recently received part 1 of the SierraWest Sturgeon's Sawmill complex. It is the Mill Engine and Boiler House kit and the Sawmill Machinery series WP. The quality of the kit and castings is just fantastic. This is my first SierraWest kit so I will be paying close attention to this build. The instruction manuels look very detailed and well thought out. Regards, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2010 :  9:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Joe,

You'll get use to Brett's Kits in a hurry. Perfect castings and the instruction manuel is hard to beat.

I've been working on the boiler the last couple of weeks on and off but with the house we just bought progress is slow. Hope to have pictures soon.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  11:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome Jerry. My progress will also be slow as the weather in Northern California is finally starting to warm up. That means polish up the travel trailer and the classic car and enjoy some camping and local car shows. Hope you can post some photos of your progress also. Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  2:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good news Joe, I hope you decide to join along in the build.
Mom thought it was great thanks Pat.
I dont have the items yet Jerry but that really wasnt the delay, I think it was partly due to nerves. The main delaying point has been 'blacken-it' for the castings, however, I have decided to start construction on the structure itself while that situation is being resolved.

So here we go, finally .....

I grained all the stripwood for the framing and the siding and then gave it a preliminary colouring in strong a&i. I will further distress and colour the siding pieces as they are applied.

Karl.A

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  2:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl A.- Now that you have begun I know it will soon be finished. Looking forward to your build.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  2:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to be fun to watch and I'm sure I'll learn a lot. Look forward to both of your postings.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  7:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news, Karl is back on the boiler house!!!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  09:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

Good to see you back with the boiler house. I'll be following along. I to have not done much on mind just trying to finish up the 1:1 project our house we bought before settling back in to some modeling.

Jerry

Jerry

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  2:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the support and enthusiasm gents, please keep it coming.....

I got a second layer of colouring and detail onto some of the siding stripwood last night, once I get the rest finished up I'll post a pic.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  4:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now I just need to learn how to do knot holes (properly, to my liking) and I can then start on the distressing and then onto the assembly.
The colour will change slightly through the build but I'm pleased with the old grey look at this point and the variation.

Karl.A

Narrowgauge Nut
New Hire

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  10:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl, nice to see this moving forward. I am a bit reluctant to start the Tool Shed, as my confidence level is low. I have 4 kits in various stages of construction and feel I need to finish at least 2 of them before I start the Tool Shed build. I'll be following your build and learn some new things to boost my confidence.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just the four Steve????

I understand your reluctance and confidence level very well, a good place to start on the Tool Shed as a confidence booster is with the laser cut framing. This will give you a chance to try out Brett's colouring method and realise how easy it is. The framing will eventually be mostly hidden but the method is very forgiving and mostly reversable if you dont like your first try or two. Win/Win.

Karl.A

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000