Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 187 ]  [ Total: 190 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  9:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: Didn't get a tremendous amount done last week. I host RR Fun Runs at my shop and last Saturday 11 eager guys showed up to talk trains and have lunch. They are members of our On30 modular group.

I did get to work on the roof rafters. It was a little intimidating at first but after a few it proceeded pretty well.

The next step is to do the actual roofing which should be a blast. Two totally different techniques and materials.

I also purchased two different colors of grout and am doing a little experimenting with techniques. I want to feel somewhat confident before I start the exterior work. Nothing like screwing up the final step??? Take care and hope to have finihed roofs to show you soon.

Joe CCCModOn30

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  07:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

Real nice job. Looks really good.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  08:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's looking really nice, Joe.

Chuck

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  09:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe
This continues to be a very fine build!!
Kevin

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  09:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice!!!!!!!!!!

Brett

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  10:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joe,
Your project is super, I like the colors and the characters too. A bit clean for my taste..the floor that is..but I like the overall look and feel.

Les

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  10:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Really looking great Joe. Very nice colours on the timbers.
Your very precice assembly enhances the construction even more. It's a real shame to cover that fine work all up!!!

Karl.A

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  1:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I like the way this build is looking.
Les mentioned the amount of dirt on the floor.
I'll agree with that on the wood floor.
The concrete slab looks fine to me as does everything else.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  2:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, this is really well done. Nice color on the wood, nice fit. I agree with Les, though, about the floor being a little bit too clean in such a work environment, there should probably be oil stains near the steam engine.
And I also agree with Karl, it's really a pity to hide such a fine work under a roof, but how could the lack of a roof be justified?

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  6:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone for your continued support, direction, and comments on areas that need enhancement. I appreciate it very much.

Les- I couldn't agree more with your comments(and others) on the floor. I knew it was to clean but I'm not sure how to proceed. I did put some oil/water stains under the engine cylinders up front. When putting the ground base down I was going to throw some dirt on the floor. I'm way open for suggestions and if anyone has some photos of what it should look like that would be fantastic.

Take care and thanks again for your comments....Joe in Morgan HIll, CA CCCModOn30

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  7:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe
I'll suggest using chalks again as they are easier to control. Start with lighter shades of Umbers and greys and work in some darker colors as you go. Use a very soft 1/4 to 1/2 inch brush and dip it into the powdered chalk and work that into the floor. Use a very light touch and build up the "dirt" in layers. Rembrandt Gold Ochre #231.3 is a great light brownish color that I use all the time for your basic dirty/dusty look. If your groundcover dirt is very fine and a light brown color, lightly dusting it into the floor and blowing off the excess is also a good way to go. Oil stains and spills done with wet applications can be tough to do if you haven't done them before and practicing these effects on scrap is always the best idea.
Your framing work is very well done and the colors look very natural.
Kevin

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  10:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kevin, I'll give it a go. Your prior tip on using Gold Ochre #231.3 has become my #1 favorite method and I use it on just about everything to blend and tone down scenes....Joe

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  10:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Joe,
The concrete looks fine, the wood floors would get the oil splatterings from the any machine or work areas. More around the machines than others. I would use chalks and stains and certianly not paint, unless its very diluted. You are on the right track. I was in shops as a younster in the 50s that had wood and concrete floors, they were dirty, as much as employees swept and tried to clean them up, they were stained and marked up.

PS you might chat with Dallas on this..maybe the pencils would work better...

Les

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  09:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Les: I appreciate the comments. I have been working on the interior but way from being happy with the results. I did a search here (MC Craftsman Corner) and found a topic called Interior Decoration started by the Dutchman on 11/10/2004. (I don't know how to post a link). Very, very informative and some great photos of building interiors. Regards, Joe CCCModOn30

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  10:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe

Here you go this must be the one your talking about, yes??

Interior Decoration
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7418

Getting back to yours great job.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000