Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 201 ]  [ Total: 205 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

Wolfgang
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  1:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great use of the tooth picks.
I use them for glueing.

Wolfgang

come to us
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  1:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The paint work is very nice, Joe.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work. I love that rickety work bench. It kinda looks like mine.

It's only make-believe

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: Thanks everyone for your comments.

Karl- I also like the water tank and once in place I want to add more details like a ladder, tools, rags, etc.

Bob- sorry(?) about your workbench; I promise to handle mine carefully!

I'm out of town for 5 days, so not much progress will be made. Take care and thanks again for watching the build. Joe CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  5:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi: As anticipated, not much progress this week. I did get another batch of castings painted but that's about it. Out of town next week so nothing will get done. Posted a photo, look pretty good but comments are always welcome. Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  7:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Everything is looking terrific Joe, there's a bunch of great castings in this kit and they will all come into play to make an awesome scene when you start pulling it all together.
As a side note... (although your pics already look great!)... A white card instead of the blue/grey as a background would be better, the camera is over accentuating and compensating for the blue and throwing your true colours off. With that said however those castings sure do look nice! Nice detail painting on picking out all the individual items.....

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/18/2011 7:37:27 PM

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  11:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Karl. I appreciate the tip on the white background, I'll give that a try. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use to paint the broom in the kit; both the straw part and the handle? I've tried it before, but they never look quite right! Take care, Joe CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  11:09:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Brooms rarely look good.... (unless your name is O'Neill).... my handle was 'Nutmeg brown' craft paint and the bristles were just a yellowy tan, bristles were scribed with a new exacto first for better definition and then light A&I at the end in the grooves. I generally remove the brooms after the photo is taken.... or 'hide' them somewhere else on the dio.

Karl.A

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  11:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good Karl. I like the tip on scribing the bristles and A&I, never done that before. Now I'm off to paint a broom !! Thanks again, Joe

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  1:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: Back home and back at it. Finished the last of the castings with the exception of the gas pump and truck hood. I'm happy to have that project behind me. I also received the valve I needed to finish the mill engine. It looks great in its new home; hope you like it.

Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  4:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe
I'm just getting a look at this and really like your casting work and the engine looks great. One thing I like to do on castings especially ones like the shelf on the bottom left in the picture is to go over them with a very very light dusting of chalk. My go to color for this is Rembrandt Gold Ochre 231.3. I dust it on with a very soft brush and blow it off. It's great for toning down bright colors just a bit. If you don't have any chalk plain old finely sifted dirt (dry) will do. I hope you don't mind the advice.
Kevin

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  8:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The details and the engine look great Joe, some nice work.
As Kevin says a light dusting with chalk will tone those bright colours down and blend everything together perfectly.

The concrete foundation came out great with some natural tonal changes and a very nice texture. I also noticed the perfecly sized nailheads in the floorboards, fantastic!

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 03/01/2011 8:21:49 PM

nss9400
Section Hand

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  12:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Send nss9400 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very Nice work Joe!

Nader

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  03:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe --

The finish on that mill engine is really impressive! It REALLY looks the part.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  07:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Joe.

The mill engine looks great

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000