Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 134 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  4:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe this is your boiler...

So remember this technique and you have a great model for the woods...

Les

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  6:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another boiler - but under cover.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  12:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi: Wow, what great looking photos of the real boiler. I've saved them for future reference. My boiler looks pretty good so I'm going to charge ahead and finish it off. I've also included photos of the first finished wall. I'm happy with the results but more than open for comments and hints. Joe CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  4:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello: I finished the boiler and the front wall. The texture on the boiler looks a lot better in person than the photo. Not being a talented photographer, I have no clue why. I'm working on the remaining walls which continue to be fun. Hope you like them. Always looking for comments to improve. Thanks, Joe CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  4:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great work on the valves and piping Joe. The walls also look terrific, I'm guessing the true colour is close to the one lying on the template?? Nail holes, knots and distressing all looks very nice indeed.
Only suggestion would be to darken the bottom of the walls a little, but you probably have this in mind already and just didnt get there yet.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  5:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress on the boiler and walls, Joe. I had the same feeling as Karl about the walls being still a little too clean, but am sure like him that you're aware of this.
The new boiler texture is much better considering it is a working one, not a derelict.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  5:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe - got that boiler nailed and the walls are looking great - you also have to super helpers with good advice looking on so I will continue to enjoy through lurking.

Elliott

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,Frederic and Elliot: Thanks so much for your kind words and helpful comments. The colors of the walls are more on the brown side than gray; I'd prefer a litle more grayish tint. Great point on the bottom needing to be darker. The A&I wash called out in the instructions is very mild- 20 drops of ink to 1 pint of alcohol. Should I mix a darker batch or are there other techniques that I might use (chaulks/ Floquil washes?).

Again, I really appreciated you taking the time to help out. Joe CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  12:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Joe, I have a strong and a medium mix of A&I on my bench, so yes, having two (or three) batches handy is useful. Try a few applications of your mix first though and take it slow, allow to dry inbetween.
Dip a brush into the A&I and then touch the brush to just the bottom of the boards, allow te A&I to wick up natually.
Dark chalk can also be used , but, use a light touch as it can be unfogiving.
A combination of the two... place some chalk on the bottom edge of the board dry and then touch with some A&I, A&I will dissolve some of the chalk and draw it up the board as it wicks up.
Grey felt pen can also be used for a subtle effect, touch/hold the pen on the bottom edge of the board and allow the ink to wick up.

Dependant on your confidence I would start with the light A&I in several applications building up the colour, when you start to think it needs maybe just one more , stop! and leave it for a while, then come back and review. It is alot easier to add one more application later if it really needs it than it is to remove one if you do too many.

Practice all of these on scrap/spare boards until you are confident with how they will look, give them plenty of time to dry as they do change over a few hours.

These are just some suggestions and you should do what you feel most comfortable with.

Practice on scrap and take it slow.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/20/2011 12:18:49 PM

nss9400
Section Hand

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  10:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Send nss9400 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice weathering job on the the boiler.

Nader

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  06:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That boiler look really good Joe.

Did you use Bretts techniques in the manual?

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  10:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi: Thanks Karl for the advise and guidance. I will do just that and definately run some test pieces. I like the way the walls look and don't want to screw them up with incorrect weathering.

Wes- yes, I followed Brett's instructions to the letter as I'm trying to do with all phases of the kit. I think I got a little heavy handed with the rust technique as pointed out previously.

Thanks everyone for your comments and following along with the build. Joe CCCModOn30

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  10:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe - you are doing a fantastic job - keep it up! Karl has some great advice...

Brett

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  10:19:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brett- I appreciate the encouragement. Your kit is fantastic and the instructions are excellent. And having modelers like Karl, Frederic and all the others looking over my shoulder isn't hurting the the process either. They will make sure I get it right and learn a lot in the process.

Take care, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  4:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello from sunny California- don't mean to rub it in but the weather has been terrific the last few days- 65-70*F in the middle of winter. Very unusual.

I've charged on and put the walls together. Settled on a A&I technique and its looks good to me. Hope you like the look; probably not done but good enough for now.

Regards, Joe CCCModOn30

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000