Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 244 ]  [ Total: 247 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rest of your life begins with but one step - congrats to you!

Elliott

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl, with all the detail in the roof rafters maybe just a small area of finished roofing with two roofers working and you get the best of both worlds details both inside and out. Tom

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I'd say you've got purlins to do for the next step...

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  11:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally have purchased and received all of the required materials to build my Mill Engine & Boiler House kit. As previously posted, this is my first SierraWest craftman kit. I would like to post my progress but being new to this site, is it appropriate to post here or should I start a new topic ? I don't plan on a lot of posts, just updates from time to time. Thanks, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  11:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
By all means post it here Joe, it would be great to have two builds going together. And most appropriate.

Also it makes it easier for others when searching for builds of the kit.

Hopefully your build will also motivate me to get mine finished now that I've decided how to proceed.

I'll look forward to seeing as many pics of your build as you can post.

So come on in....... and wecome to the thread !

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/30/2010 11:22:46 AM

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  12:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Karl, you and I are at the exact same point on this kit, I am just putting up the rafters. For some reason though I built exactly per the instructions my beams over the boiler are not a perfect fit so some mods are in order, now I find out the stack is missing in my kit so hopefully Brett will send me a new one I emailed him but have not heard back so may end up at the hardware and try to find something. I was also missing one elbow so I had to fudge on the bend into the cylinder exhaust and just use a bend, but all in all the thing is coming pretty good. I have been tinkering with this kit now for over a year off and on. I used a bent piece of wire for the boiler door handle did you do the same? Anyway hope to finish this in the next month or so and finally get to building the mill complex for my layout.......Jerry

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  12:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Look forward to seeing some pictures Jerry. The stack is a six inch long, 1/2" diameter brass tube.

Honestly I cant remember what I did for the handle and its tucked away in the other room so I cant easily check.

Post some pics!

Karl.A

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  4:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl, I appreciate the opportunity to post on this site. I have been following your build and am in awe at your modeling skills. I already have learned several techniques from your build and plan to follow Brett's instructions very closely.

First question (of many to follow)- how do you post photos? Any photo size constraints? Thanks, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  4:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

First question (of many to follow)- how do you post photos? Any photo size constraints? Thanks, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

Hi Joe,
Here is where information about posting pictures can be found along with a couple of directions.

There are generally 3 reasons why photos/graphics won't upload for posting. The most common is that the (photo's) file name contains apostrophes, quotation marks, or other punctuation/symbols. Make sure that your graphic's file name contains only alphanumeric characters. It's also best to use no spaces in the file name.

The second most common is that the file size is too large and "violates" the built-in file size restrictions for uploading.

Finally, if you're using Firefox, Netscape, or another Mozilla- based browser, that could also be the cause.

Please click on the following links and read the tutorials:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15110
(For general instructions on posting photos/drawings/graphics)

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5383
(For instructions on resizing photo files)

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18629
(For instructions on how to post photos/graphics when using a Mozilla-based browser.)

If you have problems just ask as we will be glad to assist you.

Good Luck.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links John; they were very informative. I'll give it a go but not the complicated version yet.

3 of the 5 photos show the beginning steps of staining the wood and prepping the castings. The other two show 3 of my On30 modules hooked together.I am a member of the California Central Coast Modular ON30 group (CCCModOn30) located in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. We get together about 6-8 times a year at trains shows, hooking our modules together forming large On30 layouts of varying designs and complexity.

My intention with this build is to start the buildings which will become a SierraWest sawmill complex. I will build a module to hold the various buildings. Any comments along the way will be greatly appreciated as I've only been doing this for 5 years-much to learn.

Joe in Morgan Hill, CA CCCModOn30

Download Attachment: 001.JPG
24.74 KB

Download Attachment: 002.JPG
37.87 KB

Download Attachment: 003.JPG
41.95 KB

Download Attachment: 006.JPG
39.56 KB

Download Attachment: 008.JPG
91.73 KB

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  08:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe looking forward to your progress.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  09:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have only been in the hobby for 5 years, than you have already mastered and completed more than most of us from the look of your dioramas! Very nice, and I look forward to another fantastic build of this kit! I for sure will be watching and taking notes.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  10:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words. I'm fortunate that I'm retired and have more or less unlimited time to work on my modules. As I learn new processes, I go back and rebuild/update each module(s). I'm very excited about building this kit and learning how to clutter up the scenes.

I'm working on the mill engine and hope to post some photos later this week. Regards, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to your progress Joe.
Thats a very nice set of modules. The garage however is way to clean/tidy/organised for me to feel comfortable..... great setup!!,, I'll assume its also heated and cooled by looking at it... sigh..

Karl.A

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  6:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Making some progress on the mill engine. I really liked the green paint that Karl used so I found some and attempted to copy his technique. I'm also getting the parts prepped for the stationary boiler and should start painting/assembling them soon. I'm going to try to post pictures vesus links so if I blow up your computer.......Regards, Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000