Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 212 ]  [ Total: 212 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  10:23:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words and input Kevin and I'm glad your kit is on order, you will really enjoy it. However, you're like me, you've got enough going on to get finished up right now..... looking forward to getting together at the show(s) REAL soon.

Karl.A

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  11:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big beam or little beam... this is really sweet!!

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  08:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, you have got things looking great, it will be neat to see how this is going to work with Brett's tie and shingle mill.

Mark

W,L,&E

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  11:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement Kris and Mark, much appreciated.

quote:
Originally posted by BBLmber

..... it will be neat to see how this is going to work with Brett's tie and shingle mill.

Mark

I think there are quite a few people looking forward to seeing that, maybe even Brett...

Time for work, hopefully more later.

Karl.A

MikeM
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  12:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious how you applied the belt in order to keep it tight; I didn't see any obvious sign of a splice in the photos.

Great work!!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  10:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Mike.

I applied some CA to one end of the belt and glued it under the left side of the engine wheel.
Once dry I pulled the belt tight and applied a small drop of CA on the top of the driven wheel and wrapped the belt over the top.
Once this was dry I cut the belt just long enough to wrap under the engine wheel on the right, added some CA to the belt end pulled it tight and glued it under the engine wheel.

This is as per the instructions (except for the glue on the driven wheel, that just made it easier for me personally)

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  7:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress again, Karl, and thanks for the detailed pictures of the rafters since I wondered what prototypical practice was for the fitting of these to the top of the wall.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  7:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl, every time I look at your beautiful work, I think why do I model in HO. These O scale models can attain such realism that you can never seem to reach in HO.
Keep up your great work it's a pleasure to watch!

Greg Shinnie

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  9:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mant thanks for the kind words and replies Frederic and Greg. No progress over the weekend unfortunately, infact I just popped home for a snack, read the forum, then its back to work. Hopefully something tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  10:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it may not look like much progress, but, for me, it is right now.
As I have been struggling to get any real modeling done most of the year I decided to take a page out of Elliots book and just concentrate on doing just one thing per day, everyday. Hopefully this will get me 'back in the flow'.

So, I removed the rafters from the ridge beam, (which was going to be removeable). Then made a new beam and have now glued the rafters to the beam and the walls.

Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, but there'll be some progress, somewhere, on something....

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  03:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rafters look good, Karl. What's supposed to be above them?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  07:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic,
Brett provides shingles for the roof, but I havent 100% decided yet.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  09:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No longitudinal planks between the rafters and shingles?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  09:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The kit includes a card? subroof, but, if I go with shingles then yes I will add purlins for the shingles to be attached to.
Also I will probably do individual shingles and not use the laser cut ones in the kit.

Karl.

Edited by - UKGuy on 11/19/2010 09:27:22 AM

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2010 :  10:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Karl, the card is nice but individual boards is better.

Mark

W,L,&E

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000