Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 200 ]  [ Total: 201 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  12:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, it looks like a good start, can't hardly wait to see where you go with the changes.

Mark

W,L,&E

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  1:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's as good a place to restart as any to me. Looks good, and I see what you are saying about the boilerhouse section. That would be a detail to be able to see better.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  4:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really good... even that 1:1 hammer. I do hope the hammer is only a 'reference'.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  6:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, Karl. I'm not sure having the boiler a bit obscure is so bad. It helps the eyes of the viewer to focus on the right places.

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  7:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl
Looking fantastic!! It's funny how the structure looks so small with just the machinery there and no other detailing done.
Kevin

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  7:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the responses and interest in the build, great to read. After refreshing myself with the manual (again) I realised that I will need to detail the interior, adjust the boiler roof and attach the steam lines (which I cant find right now!) before doing the drive wheel that I had planned to do first.

The reason for raising the roof is a personal niggle I had. There is a steam pressure gauge atop the boiler (1) , this is obscured by the cross member and it bothered me, how could my LP monitor the pressure if they couldnt see the gauge ???? I only raised the roof by a scale 9" so it doesnt really change the look of the structure too much.

The second reason I wanted to rebuild the structure is that the support leg (2) is supposed to run up the corner of the main structure, as you can see mine did not..... so....

I carefully disassembled everything with some acetone on a detail brush to soften the glue and then the hammer.... ( noooo, just kidding about the hammer)

Then rebuilt it with 3/16" longer legs thus making the gauge visible (3)

Probably something few people would have noticed if I hadnt said something, but it was bothering me.

So, now tonight I plan to detail the interior, add the steamlines (when I find them) and hopefully get the drive wheel installed.....

Oh and the roof itself will be removeable, though not the rafter, so, visibility of the interior was not really a concern, just that darn gauge... .

Karl.A

(Yes Brett I know, .... it went missing during construction, I'll hopefully 'fabricate' a new one before anybody else notices..... )

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/03/2010 7:32:21 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  9:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl. When I get there I'll remember to fix it.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  09:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
isn't the gauge facing the wrong direction?

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  10:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Karl

What details do you have planned for the interior?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lab-dad

isn't the gauge facing the wrong direction?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  1:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks Marty.

Generally the ones shown on Bretts site Wesley, with some minor deviations and additions probably.

Karl.A

lab-dad
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  3:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit lab-dad's Homepage  Send lab-dad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Where's the needle? :D

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  3:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lab-dad

Where's the needle? :D

Nowhere near the danger/red zone yet Marty, so, no need to worry, the LP are keeping her running just right.

And if your next question is about numbers on the dial...... dont!

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  5:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What? No numbers?
Then why did you bother modelling in N scale if you don't add so evident details in O scale?

Frederic, the awful devil...

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  5:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not gonna bite Frederic, I'm resisting..... although I probably have a dial decal somewhere or could easily make one, but, I'm not gonna bite......

The all important 'broom shot' ......worn, angled and bent bristles, for all you broomaphiles out there, or maybe it's just me...

Karl.A

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000