Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 155 ]  [ Total: 157 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  9:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Larry its great to have time back at the bench again and start catching up on several projects.

Karl.A

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  9:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itís interesting seeing your castings come to life.

George

Fly Army

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  9:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're blowing me away Karl! You have to tell us about the effects on the truck.
Kevin

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  9:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much George and Kevin, good to have you watching.

Kevin I'm just starting a similar piece with the same effect, I'll try to remember and take some 'in-progress' pictures for you to see.

Karl.A

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  9:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, I am approaching my quota of atta-boys for the day, but that rusting hood is a delight to behold. Very realistic indeed.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon, I'm really quite pleased with how it turned out.

Karl.A

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl, your detail painting and close-ups always inspire me. Tomorrow I'll work on more of the details for the shed. Keep up the excellent work.

Mark

W,L,&E

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  10:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Unfortunately I'm not always happy with my results..... This ones heading off to be stripped and redone tomorrow, thats all for tonight.

Thanks for all the posts.

Karl.A

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  01:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im just going to echo what has already been said Karl. Just amazing work.

Did you follow Bretts instructions for any of the castings?

Edited by - wesleybeks on 07/16/2010 01:21:50 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  09:33:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl I also echo all comments, outstanding casting work on your part. Now if I could get some of my logging truck frames to look that good. Or, any old piece of metal for that matter.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2010 :  10:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So, Kevin, here are the basics, although I did spend more time and a few extra steps on the truck which I can explain after work tonight, also bear in mind the wheelbarrow is not yet finished, this is just a quick outline.

Sprayed the entire casting flat black.
Dry.
Painted a rust colour over the metal areas.
Dry.
Sprayed with dulcoat.
Sprinkled coase sand onto the wet dulcoat.
Dry.

Sprayed top coat colour.
Dry.

Picked off sand with toothpick.

Dusted with brown/orange chalk.

As I said I took a few more steps with the truck hood, also, red really isnt a good colour for this.

I'll explain the differences later if you would like to know.

Time for work, more later.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/16/2010 10:31:23 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  09:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  09:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I thought your "Rust Spots and Paint Chips" tutorial, months back, was an outstanding piece of work for that crane project. But, your detailing comes out looking like separate items in that tub. Maybe putting out a book on detailing items would be one of your forte's.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  11:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot Louis, a large part of the 'individual componants' look is Bretts incredible castings, sharp definition between the items, deep undercuts and hollow areas, realistic positioning, just add to this some careful painting and blending/weathering.

The lettering is much more subdued in person, the camera just enhances the white too much. With that said it still may be removed, I'll decide when it's in position on the dio.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/17/2010 11:27:24 AM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  11:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

The lettering is much more subdued in person, the camera just enhances the white too much. With that said it still may be removed, I'll decide when it's in position on the dio.

Karl.A

Karl,
I like the sign on the tank for nothing says backwoods more than a hand written sign.

Since the tank holds water maybe you can use this thread which explains how Mike C modeled hard water deposits (lime and scale) on water tanks.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4369

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000