Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 220 ]  [ Total: 222 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  10:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi karl A.

Nice job on the machinery. Weathering is just right.

Karl S.
Lansdale, pa.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  10:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!!!!!!!!! Karl,

I would say that you have nailed the look of a steam engine and boiler.

I have to stop read these O scale builds since I am impressed with the accuracy and detail you can achieve in O scale.

However, I will keep reading and admiring your work.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  3:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top notch work Karl

This is turning out to be an awesome build to follow. Keep those terrific pics coming.

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  4:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl
Thanks, but theres no way to outshine this level of work. A few questions. Do the steam lines fit into the elbows and tees or are they just glued on to the ends? Would it be easier to blacken or paint the brass before assembly? Lastly could the structure be built over or after the engine and boiler are in place?
Kevin

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  5:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been lurking but watching very, very carefully. I will be trying to translate some of your ideas to some of Brett's other castings which are in the O scale Tool Shed. Please, keep the details on how your obtaining the great weathering effects a-coming.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  02:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, great work overall, and amazing finishes on the boilers and the engine. Most impressive!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  08:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all of you for the very kind words and continued posts. It is great to have so many following along with the build and posting comments. Also great to read that some of the info is useful to others.

Kevin in several of the previous pictures of the boilers the elboes for the steam lines can be seen scattered around. Here is a close up for you. The brass tube slides over the protrusions on the elboes and other pipe connectors. The mill engine and boiler also have similar protrusions for accurate fitment.

The componants and structures need to be in place so that clearances through the doorway can be acurately measured, also so that pipe length between the machines can be accurately cut.
As Chuck realised, tweasering them in and out several times each time the next conecting piece was attached, then marked, cut, testfitted and then adjusted took a little time to do but care and patience paid off IMO.

Karl.A

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  09:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, this was an over looked by me, but fantastic thread with lots of great information to follow. I'll have to start at page one and go through. I noticed your last work here on the mill engine and boiler. I just picked up recently, a Keystone Horizontal Boiler kit for my sawmill project. Now I can see how it is used, and should be hooked up by your workings.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  09:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bloody marvelous IMO!!!

Nice to see an Englishman performing at the top of his game, unlike the millionaires running around a field in South Africa last month!!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  4:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great comments Louis and Simon.

Finally just about ready for painting, it probably took me longer to "drill & pick" these than it would for me to paint and weather 'all' the castings that come in 'some' kits.
So much so that there are another 30 or so metal castings still in the box that can wait until later, I got bored of drilling, so, time to get out the paints and see what happens.

This will also give me a short break from the actual structure before I tear off and rebuild the boilerhouse walls.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  5:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An exciting part ahead of you, Karl (maybe not so much "ahead" as I am typing this in fact, considering how fast you work). If you do on these the same outstanding work as on the boiler (I say "if" but I'm sure you'll do it), we might again have a lot of beauties to watch soon.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 07/15/2010 5:18:58 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your confidence and encouragement Frederic, let us hope you are right...

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  5:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start. Is it Coca-Cola?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  7:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I wouldnt drink it Frederic, but then I wouldnt drink a coke either, unless it was in some bacardi

Time for a break from the bench and a cold one, or three.

More later.

Karl.A

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  8:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Karl! Great to see you busy again the details all look fantastic.

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000