Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 156 ]  [ Total: 160 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  1:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Dallas is right I have pics from the Oregon Steam up at Brooks. The saw mill there had a Shay boiler outside. I think we all need to consider this, was the paint that was applied to whatever the same paint type and quality that we have today? I suspect not...

Les

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  1:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments Rick and Les, a more indepth reply later, for now though.....

As well as reworking the main boiler, on sound advce I have also reworked the 'junk' boiler for the yard. A less crusty rusty look and more of a surface rust effect, also more of the original paint showing through, hopefully sugesting it was 'put out to pasture' more recently.

Karl.A

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  1:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl - I have been lurking as you struggle with the pros and cons relative to this project but now feel compelled to offer this- I have always found that fingers have a way of massaging the kinks out of things - why not rub the beast around in your hands for a while - what doesn't rub off is fine. Just my way is all - and a dirty one at that! example of one I did - not your calaber but a sample none the less.

44.48 KB

Elliott

Edited by - ETinBH on 07/12/2010 1:44:04 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  1:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by visman48

Karl,
Dallas is right I have pics from the Oregon Steam up at Brooks. The saw mill there had a Shay boiler outside. I think we all need to consider this, was the paint that was applied to whatever the same paint type and quality that we have today? I suspect not...

Les

Les,
It depends on what you mean by "then". After about 1910 the paint was better than what we can get now. It faded less and stuck better. Before paint was premixed by suppliers the quality varied with the chemical knowledge of the painter.

Karl,
Looking at your two boilers. For a boiler that is just a few years old the horizontal/locomotive style boiler looks pretty good. Maybe add a little rust in the seams.
To me, the vertical/upright boiler looks older but uncared for. I like my stuff looking cared for too.

Bob

It's only make-believe

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  3:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Karl, I'm not sure why you wanted the boiler to have a metallic look.
Weren't all boilers painted black or silver or some other color?
If so, you wouldn't see the metal underneath..............

The reason I wanted the 'metal' colour underneath the weathering Rick is so that in some areas it would show through as illustrated in the pic below.

Now yes boilers were painted black etc, however with use and time paint comes off and I wanted a few areas where this was visible. With metal castings/parts this is easy enough to do by simply chipping or removing some of the paint, thus revealing the metal underneath, not so easy with a resin casting.

The top of the boiler rim and door at the front show this 'metal' coming through, also at the base of the stack around the joint there is a metal effect coming through the rust and the band above the joint also has a few areas where it shows.

This is very subtle and barely noticeable in person but for me atleast it replicates a metal part quite well, its not perfect but I'm happy with it for this situation.

Hope that explains it.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/12/2010 3:20:57 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  3:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,

This boiler has never been painted and has been outside and exposed to the elements about 4 months. It is the origination boiler of the recently restored Sierra #3.

These tanks are painted, sitting outside and exposed and look totally unloved.

Hope this helps.

bob Harris

It's only make-believe

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  3:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pictures Bob, any chance of posting some larger versions?

I just finished re-doing the main boiler, now I can get back to the engine itself as I have finally decided on how to do the steamlines, then I can hook them together in the structure glue them down and forget about them.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliment Eliot and the great sample picture. I read your technique in your tool shed build and am definately going to try it out during this project when I get to some other items further on.
Thanks again,

Karl.A

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  3:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Boiler look great.
I'm still trying to figure out posting pictures here.

apparently 500 pixels is the max picture size.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  4:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I understand your point about paint being worn away, but i would think that those areas would rust up pretty quickly.
I'm not sure though how paint would be worn at the area you point out.
I could see it happening around the edges of the doors and the handles and hinges.
Again, I've never worked with 1:1 boilers.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  4:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Karl,
You nailed it now...dead on.

Les

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  4:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl --

Your decision to re-do the previously "good" boiler is now approved ... the re-done boiler looks great!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  6:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've done it masterfully, Karl. And yes, it's even better than the first version.

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  6:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow...

brett

onl26
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  7:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl
Some fine "Artwork" there my friend!! The effects you achieved with the drybrushed steel looked really cool but as you decided it's just not what you would see in 1:1. The boiler as it is now is really some fine work as well as the more rusted yard relic. Also, I am really looking forward to trying my hand at your techniques with the engine. The exposed metal edges look perfect. I can't wait to see how the steam lines turn out.
Kevin

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.71 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000