Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  10:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Following a flat black base coat on the main boiler I have now drybrushed the entire thing with testors 'steel' in an attempt to make it appear more 'metalic'. Most of this will be hidden/covered up by the following steps of weathering and detailing but hopefully it will give the resin piece the appearance of bare metal 'peeking out' through the weathering in some areas.

Karl.A

PaulS
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  10:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice Karl!!

And I certainly think you've achieved your objective of making the boiler look more metalic. Looking forward to seeing the next weathering steps.

Well done as always,

belg
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, has the boiler been buffed as well as dry brushed? Pat

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  12:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Paul, here's the next steps.

Pat, there was no buffing involved just simply a dry brushing.

Thanks for looking.

Karl.A

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  1:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl, wow what a fantastic job on that boiler! You could never tell that was a resin casting.This technique of drybrushing really works well.

Greg Shinnie

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  2:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Karl, keep us posted on your progress.

Mark

W,L,&E

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed! Very nice work there ... black and silver work sooo very well together ... continuing to and gather 's.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for the kind and positive comments gents, much apreciated. I should say however that since posting the previous picture I have stripped it back down to basically the flat black finish to start over, albeit with all of the tiny details now attached.

I'm currently sarching for 'inservice' pictures for inspiration and guidance as there was too much uneducated guess work coming into play on the previous attempt and my knowledge is certainly not great (non-existant) on this subject.

So, I'm looking for a boiler that hasnt been sitting in a field for forty years and covered in rust but more one that is several years old, has been mainly undercover, 'adequately' maintained and still operational. I am thinking there would be moderat rust around the base of the smoke stack as this would be prone to moisture from the hole in the roof where the stack exits, however I'm thinking more along the lines of subtle surface rust along joints and seams for the rest of the boiler and predominently in good shape.

Karl.A

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  5:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm ... okay ... there's a place in Pennsylvania where folks gather to operate steam tractors and so forth. I think Les has posted pix from one of those events in some thread or another ... but not sure where ... so check in with Les in the On30 lounge and see if he can remember and/or point you to those. Cuz ... I think that'll give you color pix of in-service boilers for reference.

As a back-up, an image search for "steam tractors" will bring up lots of color images ... and again, a good way to find similar boilers "in-service" and in color.

I thought it looked fine ... but (a) what do I know and (b) I've been prone to doing that sort of re-visit myself. Look forward to seeing the new version ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  6:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I liked the first version but understand your concern (even if you might finally make a paint and weathering job not so different from your initial one).
You may find interesting to browse this Flickr album :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/folkbird/sets/72157601925829959/
about the Roots of Motive Power organization, as well as the photo gallery of their site :
http://www.rootsofmotivepower.com/html/Gallery/Gallery.html
where you'll find a lot of working steam engines and boilers.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, a while back I posted a thread about a sawmill and in that video they showed a boiler just like the one you are working on. I'll try to find and post it here for your use.

Mark

W,L,&E

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  08:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl

I agree with you 100%. The boiler should have some signs of rust but not overdone. I mean after all this boiler is under roof.

I'm having the same thoughts doing mine and that is to make it look used but not falling apart either.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  10:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, here is the video I was telling you about
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2900/2907.html

Enjoy

Mark

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 07/12/2010 10:47:11 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to you all for your inputs, comments and very helpful links. Most informative and useful. Progress can now recommence.

Karl.A

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, I'm not sure why you wanted the boiler to have a metallic look.
Weren't all boilers painted black or silver or some other color?
If so, you wouldn't see the metal underneath.
I'm not the expert in these things, just going by what I remember seeing in pictures and in person.

The look you achieved does look metallic, so kudos for that.
I'm watching to see what you come up with since I'll be building this some day.

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000