Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 160 ]  [ Total: 161 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  01:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
After a fantastic week in general, I got home from work on Friday lunch time ready for the weekend and there it was, a parcel frome Brett. The icing on the cake.

I've read the manual but havent unpacked anything else yet as I have been finishing off a couple of other projects on the modeling bench, but now the desk is cleared and it's time to 'dig-in'.

If anyone else has this kit sitting on a shelf.... get it down and join in.

As always on my builds all comments are welcomed, , help, advice, constructive critisisms, opinions and discussion.

I'm looking forward to another great kit and another fun build, judging from the manual.

Karl.A

polarfred
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  07:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun Karl! ! !
Brett puts our absolutely superb kits - lots of work, but well worth the effort.
Fred

Narrowgauge Nut
New Hire

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  07:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a real nice kit. I placed an order for the O scale Tool Shed yesterday. It will be my first Sierra West kit. Have fun with your build Karl!

Steve T.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  08:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, just make sure you soak the stripwood for at least 3 or 4 years.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  09:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, Great to see that you are going to put your skills to this kit. This will be a wonderful thread to follow. I have the kit on order, with a self imposed delayed delivery date, as I currently have a couple of other builds which I need to finish up first. This kit will, however, be one of the first two kits I build for the club O scale module which I'm committed to do once I complete the HO module. That said, I will keep the manual handy to make notes and be reviewing your build carefully when I dig into my kit, so Iím looking forward to lots of pictures and tips in this thread.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  10:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fred,Steve, Rick and Kris,

Have fun with it Steve, its an awesome little kit, it was my first one too.

Maybe I had best start on the details first then Rick, I 'should' have them all finished by the time the stripwood is ready..

Always lots of pictures Kris, hopefully I'll have a tip or two along the way aswell.

The box is stuffed full and as Brett states on the SWSM site it is actually three kits in one box, The mill engine, vertical boiler and the structure with all the details.

Here's a look at 'some' of the contents....

Today I need to place an order with Caboose for some supplies and I think I'll finally get one of those Chopper things to see what all the fuss is about.

Karl.A

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  10:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, I am really looking forward to following along with this one. Looks like a really intersting kit. Can't wait to see how you detail and weather the boiler.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do it to it Karl!

smells like vegabond?

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This will be a great build. Lots of doodads to paint.

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  12:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,
I'll be following your build closely as I've thought of ordering one of these kits from Brett, that and I always learn a lot from your construction threads

Michael

Narrowgauge Nut
New Hire

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  1:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl, I'm quite sure that the tool shed will be a fun and rewarding journey. Might learn some new techniques in the process too.

Wow, those are the nicest resin castings I've ever seen. Sweet!

Steve T.

Edited by - Narrowgauge Nut on 02/22/2010 1:49:24 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  3:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite exciting new project, Karl. I'm looking forward to watch and read more about your building of the boiler house.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  4:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhhhhhhh, the sweet smell of resin... And you'll like the Chopper, which I find hard to live without one.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

belg
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  5:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Karl, can we take it from all the "O" scale work you have been doing lately that the dark side is calling?;-)LOL I haven't seen a picture of that garage layout in quite a while. Look forward to seeing your twist on this kit. Pat

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  5:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you gents for the support and enthusiasm.

Steve T... they are indeed very 'nice' .... Here are the castings for you that were in the main box above.
I will open the other packets of castings and show them when I get to those points in the construction as I dont want to get them mixed up.

Indeed an exciting project my friend, (although not the one I had alluded to previously). I look forward to your (and everyone elses) input throughout.

Michael, send the cheque and join me, you wont be disapointed, Rick's stripwood will also be ready by the middle of next week according to my calculations

Karl.A

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  6:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl
Looks like a wonderful thread and build is coming our way. Looking forward to another fantastic build.
Peter

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 21.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000