Railroad Line Forums - Just realized, its a palindrome date today
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Just realized, its a palindrome date today
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tuesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Monday morning lounge
Page: of 5

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  3:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Next they'll have us driving on the wrong side of the road !

They have already scheduled that. On april 1st, the trucks will start to use the wrong side. If it is a success, on may 1st, cars will use it too.

Edited by - Frederic Testard on 01/03/2010 3:56:37 PM

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  4:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

quote:
Next they'll have us driving on the wrong side of the road !

They have already scheduled that. On april 1st, the trucks will start to use the wrong side. If it is a success, on may 1st, cars will use it too.

Your government at work!! Change you can believe in!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Edited by - hunter48820 on 01/03/2010 4:28:53 PM

scott
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  5:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like major traffic accidents starting May 1. New Governmental regulations like this makes one wonder if there are any requirements for these positions or just handed out to the most stupid.

Scott, from the wilds of Carroll County, Ohio

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  7:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Everytime I go over to the UK I do not have any problem with most things other than.

Going the wrong way on round-a-bouts.

Lumber sizes coming in MM when I only know 2x4, 2x6 etc.

And of course some of the accents....whew!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  03:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I must grant that English people feel as embarrassed with my accent than I do with theirs...

As for the wrong side, I drove in England a few years ago (with a French car, at least the steering wheel was on the right side, the left one... ). I was very impressed before I started but finally I found it was not so difficult, even at roundabouts. What impressed me more was the heavy traffic on many roads and motorways.
And yes, the last day of our vacation, we left a place in the night and there was nobody on the road, and I went on the wrong side... I suppose I wouldn't have made the mistake had there been someone else's car.

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  05:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Everytime I go over to the UK I do not have any problem with most things other than.

Going the wrong way on round-a-bouts.

Lumber sizes coming in MM when I only know 2x4, 2x6 etc.

Tim ,

At least you know they should be called roundabouts and not the funny word you have for them .

I also have problems converting mm to inches . And I'm a builder so use them all the time !

That's a bit rich a Yank complaining about funny accents !

Frederic,

I do not 'ave any problem wit ze French accente !

NickO

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  09:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny how this thread went from the date, to my neighbor, to driving on the wrong side of the road, converting mm to inches and finally on accents.

"At least you know they should be called roundabouts and not the funny word you have for them ." We call them a "circle" here. Seems appropriate enough.

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  12:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Funny how this thread went from the date, to my neighbor, to driving on the wrong side of the road, converting mm to inches and finally on accents.

"At least you know they should be called roundabouts and not the funny word you have for them ." We call them a "circle" here. Seems appropriate enough.

Rick ,

The term "rotary" for roundabouts springs to mind , is that correct ?

If we keep this thread going long enough the 1st of February will soon be around and we can talk about proper palindromes then !

NickO

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  7:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nick,

Rotary is for snow plows, and nose hair clippers.

I guess we could talk about "I am going to buy a rubber", or possibly "what it means to put in the boot."

I love how the Brits use the wrong words to describe things. I wonder what those terms mean in France...hmmm

Now when it comes to accents you are correct, but you see I am from Indiana where we speak with little to no accent (the heart of the midwest). Unlike those easterners, southerners, and New Yorkers.

I see no reason not to continue this thread to get all this worked out.

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 01/05/2010 7:57:55 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  7:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick, I've seen "rotary" used in the New England states. I figure since they were the first settlers they brought it with them from merry olde England.

And as Tim already said, "I love how the Brits use the wrong words to describe things."

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  8:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess we could talk about "I am going to buy a rubber", or possibly "what it means to put in the boot."

I love how the Brits use the wrong words to describe things. I wonder what those terms mean in France...hmmm

Tim, don't forget the ever popular, "I'm going out to smoke a fag".

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  04:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Whereas over your side of the Pond you would prefer to "go and smoke out a fag " and then blast him with your six shooter !

NickO

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  10:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NickO

quote:

quote:

Whereas over your side of the Pond you would prefer to "go and smoke out a fag " and then blast him with your six shooter !

NickO

Uh-Oh, hit a nerve have we.

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  11:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand that the bureaucrats are indeed planning to switch you Brits to the correct side of the road. They are going to phase it in gradually - for the first year they'll have all the cars change over, then, in the next year, they'll change over the trucks.(that's "Lorries" in UKspeak)

Lance

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

DaVinci1953
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  11:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit DaVinci1953's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops...someone beat me with old joke.

Lance Russwurm
http//www.lancerusswurm.com

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Tuesday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Monday morning lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000