Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 44 ]  [ Total: 51 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  09:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those backdrops look terrific, Mark!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  10:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Those backdrops look terrific, Mark!

Yes, indeed they do! Nice job, Mark, and very inspirational!

Al Carter

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  12:24:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ralph, Bruce and Al!

quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

You are going to have to give me a tutorial on the backdrops after tax season. They look good.

Trust me, it's easy! I still have to figure out how I will be gluing them up once I finalize the location for each one. That may prove to be the most difficult part!

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2017 :  7:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your town is shaping up nicely Mark. The backdrops really sets it off!

Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2017 :  01:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike! I can't wait to shape the hills and apply some plaster cloth to further define it.

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  3:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one has been too quiet too !!! Am I the only one doing anything ? ------- Ken

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  10:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Ken, I've been busy! I just haven't been good about updating the thread. But since you asked, here's a peek at what I've been up to.

I finally collected enough parts to start the Northumberland round house project a few weeks ago. I am basing my round house on the Heljan kit, which happened to be a PRR prototype. While not the round house at Northumberland, it's close enough!

The difficult part of this project is that due to the depth of the area, about half of the round house has to transition into a flat against the backdrop. In order to do this, the round house had to be placed closer to the turn table than the kit called for. This of course changes everything! I had to figure the new width of the rear walls of the round house and then kitbash them. Of course, this changes the roof sections as well, so this has turned out to be a challenging project!

I made pilasters from scrap walls and used these to bridge the rear walls together and in turn, widen the rear walls. Here's a picture of the first wall.

Once I had figured that part out, assembly went rather quickly. Here is a shot of the completed round house.

And another shot of the completed building showing it separated into the three sections.

The tricky part will be blending the flat portion of the building into the backdrop. I plan on using photo's of completed roof sections that will hopefully create the illusion of the roof on the backdrop. At least, that's the plan!

Next came painting. I finished off the brick sections with acrylic paints, starting off with a tan color for the mortar, and a red/soft black mixture for the brick color, which I sponged on with make-up sponges.

So that's where I am at this point. I've started the roof sections, which I am building so that they can be removed for easy access to the interior. It's coming together nicely, and now the push is on for me to get the building planted and round house tracks re-laid in time for the next op session.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  11:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Challenging, yes, but the results look good so far. Do your road and yard engineers move power to and from the house, or do you have a hostler position?

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  01:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Mark, good to see some progress. Neat to see another Northumberland roundhouse using the same kits that I used many years ago !! This week I will store some steamers in a few of the stalls. I have run out of room in Buffalo as it's full. --- Ken

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  01:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Mark, good to see some progress. Neat to see another Northumberland roundhouse using the same kits that I used many years ago !! This week I will store some steamers in a few of the stalls. I have run out of room in Buffalo as it's full. --- Ken

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  08:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Great coloring on the brick.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  08:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking roundhouse, Mark! How did you like using the makeup sponges for the brickwork? The results look great.

Chuck

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  10:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makeup sponges work well if you have deep/sharp incised mortar lines. If the lines are shallow and rounded, it's a lot harder to keep the paint out of the mortar.

As a general rule, for stonework, I prime with the mortar color and then use sponges to paint the stones. For bricks, I prime with the brick color, use the sponges to color individual bricks/groups of bricks and add texture. Then I take artist gouache (opaque watercolors - a good thing to spend a Michaels' 40% off coupon on a set of this stuff), thinned to the consistency of milk, run that into the mortar lines, and if necessary use the sponge to rub off any of that wash that stays on the bricks.

dave

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  11:14:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking roundhouse, Mark!

Al Carter

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  12:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great feed back guys!

Yes Ken, I was eyeing up your round house last time I was up there to get some ideas! My round house will have steamers in storage, but they will be behind the closed doors so unfortunately you won't be able to see them!

Chuck, I really enjoyed using the sponges. I must give credit to Harsco, who suggested the technique. As Dave suggested, I primed the walls with the mortar color first, then sponged on the brick color. I tested it first on a scrap piece and then forged ahead. What I learned is that while it's easy to do, it does take some practice as you want to only apply a minimal amount of pressure on the sponge to avoid the brick color from getting into the mortar lines. I also made sure I was very random, just dabbing the sponge all over the place until I got good coverage. The end result gave me the varying brick colors.

I took pictures of the process which I can post later on when I get home.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 03/21/2017 5:42:02 PM

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000