Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 94

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree the the rest, Mark. Just having the scenery base in place with a coat of paint makes a big visual difference.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh it definitely does! I should have mentioned that in November during the November open houses, SteamNut and I visited a large home layout. Among the many impressive features, I noticed that the owner had finished all of his hardshell and painted it all with a base color. There wasn't a stitch of finished scenery to speak of, but the layout still had a nice 'finished' look to it and you, the viewer, had a good sense of what things would look like when it is completed. So this is what I am planning to do; finish all of the hardshell before I get bogged down and focused in one area.

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  8:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mark ! Vern and Louie will appreciate the more firm footage . Much easier to move around !! --- Ken

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  10:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee thanks Ken! If I find one of those little critters lurking around the area, I'll be sure to name him after you!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  10:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking really good, Mark. I'm going to be doing the same thing as you, painting the base scenery black. Originally, I was painting it an earthy color, but I think the black will look better. Nice to see things moving along!

Chuck

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark!

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  10:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had an additional motivation for finishing basic landforms not long after the track: a friend didn't want to run his brass steam engine where it might have made a trip to the floor (I trusted my trackwork with my own brass, but he had a point).

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  2:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you should say that James! Long ago, during one of my first op sessions, a few cars found the floor in this very area I'm finishing. It was right after that incident that I at least put the foam core base in to prevent that from happening again.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  11:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ‘roughing in’ process continues! Since I ran out of plaster cloth working in the Selinsgrove Jct. area, I turned my attention back to working on backdrops, another essential part of defining the various areas around the railroad. I’ve been printing out various scenic backdrops from CD’s from Larc Products, and then trimming the sky off so they blend in better to my existing sky color.

In this first pic, you can see I’ve started the most recent backdrop which is nothing more than a line of homes and trees. Trimming around the trees to eliminate the printed sky color is, well, mind numbing at best! This particular backdrop is over 8’ long and will take a little while to completely cut out. When finished, it will be the backdrop for Sunbury and represent the residential area behind the passenger station.

So why trim off the sky color you might ask? This next picture better illustrates the trimmed backdrop. This backdrop of a river scene is temporarily taped up to my sky color. The printed sky portion of the backdrop scene has been trimmed off on the right hand side, where as the printed sky is still on the left hand side where I haven’t finished trimming the backdrop. You can see the difference in the sky color.

I hope to get the Sunbury backdrop finished and tacked into place so I can mock up some of the scenery in Sunbury in the next couple of days.

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  12:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to get Vern and Louie to do the backdrop trimming. Those little mouse teeth can do a nice job around all those tree branches. Looking good there Mark !!!--- Ken

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  08:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Nice effect. I suspect my wrist would be hurting after a couple of feet if cutting. Do you have to touch up the edges with a bit of color?

Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  09:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Ken, you may be onto something there! If I could only strap one of them down and feed the back drop through....

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Mark,

Nice effect. I suspect my wrist would be hurting after a couple of feet if cutting. Do you have to touch up the edges with a bit of color?

Mike

You do have to take a break now and then! As for touching up, no not really. But if you do touch it up, use chalks as a pen would 'bleed' into the paper and make things worse instead of better.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 01/13/2017 09:32:08 AM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  11:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point on using chalks vs. pens. I hadn't thought about that. They look great, Mark!

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  11:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have continued cutting out backdrops over the last week. While it is time consuming, it is rewarding! The first area that I worked on was the town of Sunbury. Here is a ‘before’ picture of the area.

The mainline is in the foreground. The Wilkes-Barre branch and the Shamokin Secondary have come off the main to the left of the picture. The Wilkes-Barre branch disappears through the wall through the hole to the left, and the track in the middle, known as the ‘horn track’, goes through the hole in the wall to the right. The town itself goes up a hill towards the backdrop. The idea here is to not only create that ‘residential’ look on a hillside, but also disguise the holes in the wall!

Here is an overall shot of the town roughed in. You can see the backdrop that I have temporarily positioned on the wall while I play around with the foam building up the terrain and positioning some of the structures. The structure in the foreground to the left is the start of the Sunbury Passenger station. To the right of it will be a street that comes down the hill and runs along the track, similar to what exists in Sunbury.

This is a close up picture looking up what will be the street. The house and trees you see at the top of the street is on the backdrop.

Here is another backdrop that I trimmed and have temporarily put into place. This one is behind the area of the PP&L plant in Shamokin Dam.

This is another view of the same backdrop at eye level.

The effect of these photo backdrops is stunning and well worth the effort. I have a lot more to cut out, but as I position them around the railroad, it really helps me to envision the area better.

I have also been working on finally adding passenger service to the operations schedule which will add some operational interest. The two trains that went through Sunbury in my era, train #570, the Buffalo Day Express, and train #571, the Baltimore Day Express, set out express cars in Sunbury that in turn were moved to Wilkes-Barre by a special move out of Buttonwood Yard. I intend to duplicate these moves on the railroad, adding three more trains to the schedule; two passenger runs and the extra that move the express cars between Sunbury and Wilkes-Barre. With another session coming up soon, that also means updating the schedules, writing the train cards, etc.

Mark

tloc
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, what a stunning difference. I like!

TomO

Page: of 94 Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000