Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 95

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  11:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

I think I suffer from modeler's ADD! I keep bouncing around to different areas.

Hah! Me, too. With a large layout, though (and mine is nowhere near as big as your's), I'm coming to believe it's worthwhile to at least "rough in" the whole thing as soon as possible, especially since you're hosting op sessions.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 01/02/2017 11:33:16 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  10:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

I think I suffer from modeler's ADD! I keep bouncing around to different areas.

Hah! Me, too. With a large layout, though (and mine is nowhere near as big as your's), I'm coming to believe it's worthwhile to at least "rough in" the whole thing as soon as possible, especially since you're hosting op sessions.

That's exactly my thought as well and is my approach right now. I've started working in several areas now, but find myself 'drifting' as the ideas flow. So instead of fighting it, I'm running with it! I'm focusing on the hardshell right now, which will also help to define some of the scenes.

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  9:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha - I'll give you a new project. The BN's round house area is now defined. Time to cut down the original building and send the spare parts east to the PRR.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  6:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BN_Fan

Ha - I'll give you a new project. The BN's round house area is now defined. Time to cut down the original building and send the spare parts east to the PRR.

From what I've seen, your making HUGE progress on the BN! And I'll welcome those needed parts, although that will probably end up side tracking me into yet another project!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  10:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rumor has it there's been considerable hard shell progress on the Northern Division lately.....how about an update?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  10:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, ok! I guess its time for an update! Well, as usual, I tend to slow down as the fall season hits and the holidays approach. But once the holidays are over I get this burst of modeling mojo and this year is no exception! No lawn to cut, no leaves to rake, no gifts to buy, and business is slower this time of year, which leaves a lot of time to work on the railroad. I was supposed to have an op session at the beginning of December, but ended up having to cancel it due to low turnout. My next session is scheduled in early February and I want to have some visual progress to show by then. So hereís an update of what Iíve done since my last post in September.

I left off last time explaining that I was working on the concrete retaining walls in Glen Burn, which are now finished and painted. I am now arranging some mockups of some of the buildings that will make up the complex. I intend to kitbash the buildings for the colliery itself down the road, but for now I have just placed what I have to get a feel for the area.

While working on this, my attention shifted towards working on the transition between Glen Burn and the neighboring town of Shamokin. This picture is taken from in front of Shamokin, looking down towards Glen Burn. The foam core box is a mockup of the road bridge that crosses the railroad. There will be a roadway that goes downhill into Shamokin along the backdrop, from right to left in the picture.

Turning to the left, this is an over view of the town Shamokin. Iíve started to layout the town, which will be modeled on a hillside that goes up towards the backdrop. The road I mentioned will enter the town along the backdrop to the right of the picture.

This is the other end of Shamokin looking back towards Glen Burn. Iím trying to get some ideas of how to lay out the streets and businesses to create the look I want. I hope to incorporate a lot of detailed scenes, especially along the tracks where the backs of the buildings are against the tracks. An alley with dumpsters, a basketball hoop, etc. I am still futzing with building placement in this area, working on an arrangement that I find pleasing and accomplishes what I am trying to do.

Because I seem to suffer from modelerís ADD, Iíve now shifted my attention back to working in Selinsgrove Junction, the first area I started hardshell back in July, 2015. Here is how it has looked for the past year and a half. This area will simply be a large wooded hillside. In this picture, the mainline headed railroad westbound from Enola goes from the right of the picture against the wall to the left. The Selinsgrove track comes off and swings around and over the bridge on the right.

I used foam core to define the overall shape of the hillside, then strips of masking tape across the profile boards to create a basic shape.

I then applied the plaster cloth using a new technique that I learned that I really like. I cut the pieces of plaster cloth, laid them on the area and then sprayed it with water. Much easier and less messy! Thanks Ken!

And after a coat of black paint, here it is. Next I will go back and paint the track so the area is ready for textures. When finished (someday), this will be a large wooded area with the trains snaking through the trees.

Slowly but surely, various areas of the layout are starting to take shape. I plan to continue moving around the layout, roughing in various areas. Itís hard to stay focused when there is so much to do!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 01/07/2017 10:20:53 PM

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking Great Mark. They way you are approaching the scenery in SJ is very interesting. I may have to put in an order with Diamond Bill for some foam core.

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  11:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great, Mark!

One question - why do you paint the plaster black rather than an earth tone?

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  1:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Even roughing in the scenery is adding to the look. Things are looking great and you know you've got to get everything ready by the operation session or you'll feel the wrath of the South Jersey guys.

Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

quote:
Originally posted by Brunton

Looks great, Mark!

One question - why do you paint the plaster black rather than an earth tone?

Mark, that is a trick someone taught me a long time ago. It's an old theater approach. By painting the 'base' black, and following with lighter colors, it gives the final area 'depth'. And it works! When I first tried it on my old layout, comparing just plain earth tone to black was a noticeable difference.

The black is simply a base coat. When I go back to add textures, I will apply a light coat of a dark earth tone which acts as an adhesive. In other areas, such as this hillside, I won't be adding dirt near the top as that will be covered with 'tree balls'.

And Dave, your right. You can see on here how they get on my case if I don't report any progress.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  9:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me...

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  10:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"And Dave, your right. You can see on here how they get on my case if I don't report any progress."

Hmmmmm...I wonder where we got that from? Could it be.........

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  10:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of tree balls.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  06:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks good.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  08:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Even roughed-in and painted black the scenery makes the whole area look better. It brings the track and trains down to scale (whatever that means). Distances seem greater.

Mike

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000