Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  7:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of using Woodland Scenics cinders, myself. Cinders seem to be the closest to the culm piles that are still around Wilkes-Barre....a dark gray and small stone. Wayne Sittner really modeled anthracite scenes the best, but his scenery material was the real thing collected from the sites of old mines. My culm bank will have to be extremely narrow, so I was thinking of using blue insulation board.

Chuck

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  7:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, have you thought about broken ceiling tiles? Some of them have a somewhat 'stratified' texture that might work well as a basis for culm piles.

dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  8:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WS 'Cinders' are too uniform a black for me to use as cinders - I mix in some gray and some brown and live with it, but if I could still get the first limestone 'cinder' ballast I used, I would. WS cinders might work for waste coal, but there's no shine. I've never looked at culm close up; if it has any of the shine you see on larger lumps of coal, particularly anthracite, there's a kind of sandblasting media that's black & shiny (someone gave me a tub of it, so I can't give a name).

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  10:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Culm is waste material, so it is actually a variety of textures. Mostly dark (like coal/cinders), but there was rock and other minerals mixed in. Add to that, in my situation, I'm going to have to try to create the illusion of 'distance and height' as my culm pile is very steep if you look at it straight on. That's why I am thinking something fine, like sand, near the top and increase the size towards to the bottom, going to cinders and then even larger. Culm was not only a variety of colors, but sizes as well.

It will be an interesting experiment, but I'm open to any and all suggestions, so keep the ideas coming.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  06:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dense materials like real rock, beach sand etc. do not mix well with the walnut-shell based WS materials.

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  12:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark. Looking great! This sounds like a perfect time for a road trip to collect some of the real stuff. Steam can build a combination pulverizing / sifting machine to refine the material. Problem solved.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  1:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Dense materials like real rock, beach sand etc. do not mix well with the walnut-shell based WS materials.

Yes, your right, and don't ask me how I know!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  1:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BN_Fan

Hey Mark. Looking great! This sounds like a perfect time for a road trip to collect some of the real stuff. Steam can build a combination pulverizing / sifting machine to refine the material. Problem solved.

I'm always up for a road trip, but John R. has buckets of it in his basement! But we still need the pulverizing / sifting machine to refine the material. Sounds like a job for Super SteamNut!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  1:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The culm banks I remember seeing in Wilkes-Barre appeared to be predominately uniform in color. I don't want to mix in other colors, unless it is close in color to the main color. It will be a backdrop element for me, and I really don't want to draw too much attention to it. If anything, I will vary the stone sizes, like Mark. You do see some variation in color from random stones in the photo below, but I think some of what you are seeing is a difference in stone sizes that catch more light.
http://www.debralynndadd.com/wp-content/uploads/coal-mine.jpg

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  3:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pic Chuck, and yup, that's what I'm going for. In my case, the larger chunks near the bottom and finer towards to the top in the hopes that will enhance the illusion of distance/height.

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  7:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice thing is Mark the way you designed the hill you can lay it on it's back and do the scenic work off the RR !! You also need to add the hoist house that still exists on the top !!--- Ken

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  12:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Nice thing is Mark the way you designed the hill you can lay it on it's back and do the scenic work off the RR !!

I have to give Harsco credit for that idea. That area is 30" deep, so reaching back there is difficult enough, let alone that it's on the second level. And yes, it will make adding the textures a lot easier!

quote:

You also need to add the hoist house that still exists on the top !!--- Ken

That's something I've been pondering! You can see the track and carts that carried the culm to the top of the hill, as well as the hoist house in some of the pictures. So now how do I model it and force the perspective the way I feel I need to? This will get interesting!

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  12:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark get some code 40 or 55 rail or even just some Evergreen styrene . You won't be able to tell if it's rail or not. Start at standard gauge at the bottom. Have it taper to a narrower gauge up top and make the hoist house N scale . Use a N scale size hoist cat at the top. Maybe even a Z scale hoist house and car would do. I'll have to find my pictures of Glen Burn back when it was still there but shut down. --- Ken

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  1:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Nice thing is Mark the way you designed the hill you can lay it on it's back and do the scenic work off the RR !!

I have to give Harsco credit for that idea. That area is 30" deep, so reaching back there is difficult enough, let alone that it's on the second level. And yes, it will make adding the textures a lot easier!

quote:

You also need to add the hoist house that still exists on the top !!--- Ken

That's something I've been pondering! You can see the track and carts that carried the culm to the top of the hill, as well as the hoist house in some of the pictures. So now how do I model it and force the perspective the way I feel I need to? This will get interesting!

Do it 'sideways', rather than 'front to back', if you can. It would be very difficult to get effective perspective effects front to back. But if you do it sideways, you can use N scale track and equipment.

dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  8:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, that's what I was thinking of doing. I have a couple of pics that show it, although not clearly. It looks like the track was mounted to concrete piers. It looks like it would be fairly easy to do. What it might look like when I'm done? Well, that's another story!

Dave, for Glen Burn, it went from the breaker to the top of the hill, directly behind the breaker, so I have to do it front to back.

Mark

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000