Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  9:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will the resulting scenery depend on the masking tape's stickum for strength? I've noticed several kinds of masking tape drying out over a span of 10+ years.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  9:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking.....immense! Let's see some flat black paint on that baby!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  9:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Will the resulting scenery depend on the masking tape's stickum for strength? I've noticed several kinds of masking tape drying out over a span of 10+ years.

Hi James! No, it's sticky side down. Once I finish the third section, as Mr. Harsco is anxiously awaiting, I will paint the hill a flat black color. If I decide to continue with this method, I will apply textures using my usual technique; a heavy paint coat of a base color, in this case black, textures applied and fixed with dilute matte-medium.

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  9:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All right, Mark! Nice to see this part of your layout getting some attention. You've got a great start to it.

Chuck

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  9:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  10:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good so far Mark. I like the techniques you and Rick have used with the foam core for hillsides,

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/29/2016 :  11:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Chuck, I knew you would be excited!

Thanks Phil. Actually, the masking tape idea was Rick's idea. He read it in an article somewhere, so if it doesn't work, I'll blame him!

Mark

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
I think I'd be a bit concerned that the masking take adhesive would let go when adding scenery (water / alcohol misting, diluted glues, etc.), since masking tape isn't anything like water resistant. Have you thought about how you'll guard against that?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  12:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brunton

Mark,
I think I'd be a bit concerned that the masking take adhesive would let go when adding scenery (water / alcohol misting, diluted glues, etc.), since masking tape isn't anything like water resistant. Have you thought about how you'll guard against that?

No! This is really an experiment, but as I said above, apparently there was an article (which I can't find) about this method. Keep in mind that the masking tape, for the most part, is taped to itself, sticky side down. The next step will be to paint the shell with a good coat of black paint. I have done that in the past in smaller areas with no issues. So, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I'm not sure if anyone else has heard of or tried something like this but I'm open to ideas, concerns, suggestions, etc.

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  12:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Thanks guys! Chuck, I knew you would be excited!

Thanks Phil. Actually, the masking tape idea was Rick's idea. He read it in an article somewhere, so if it doesn't work, I'll blame him!

For the record folks, being uncertain of the long term effectiveness of masking tape adhesive, I applied a layer of plaster cloth OVER top of the masking tape, thus creating a supportive shell which was then painted and covered in ground materials.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  1:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a much better approach!!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  4:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was going to say most people do put plaster or something else over the tape. The only one I've seen not do that is the rolled paper and diluted glue method. The paper hardens with the glue and then you can paint/plant trees, etc.,

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  4:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, after speaking to Mr. Harsco this afternoon, and reading some comments, I don't think I'll risk it. As I mentioned earlier, the tape does provide a fairly strong base, but it's the long term effects I am concerned about. So I'm off to the local AC Moore to stock up on plaster cloth!

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  4:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark try putting a 2-3"strip of plaster cloth around the edges . Then after it sets a bit just cut cloth and place it dry over the tape. Then using a spray bottle and a brush wet the cloth and brush it out. I've found laying out the plaster gauze dry is much less messy and uses less water . The 2-3" strip will give the larger pieces something to grab on to. ---- Ken

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  5:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting uses of masking tape and meat trays. Masking tape has to be faster than using cardboard strips.

I wonder if a layer of paper or cloth soaked in diluted glue might add enough strength to the masking tape? I am modeling some desert hillsides, so I would add a layer of sand fixed in place like ballast. I am thinking the two layers would bond as one. Has anyone done that before?

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Edited by - rca2 on 08/30/2016 5:58:25 PM

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 2.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000