Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 94

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  11:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Looks like a great operating session Mark!! Your railroad sure has come a long ways and is looking like it is running like it is supposed to. The operators are having fun.

Rick needs more than double black. Get that man a Dewers!.

I'm more of a Jamison's guy, Bill...but surprisingly, my first time on the dispatcher's chair went fairly well (ie: no HO scale people were injured or killed). Being a training officer and teacher by trade, I'm not a big fan of the "throw them in the deep end" style of instruction, which tends to have predictably negative results. Having helped with some of the planning and construction of the Northern Division, I was at least familiar with the critical stuff that a dispatcher needs to know such as directions, town locations, sequences, train classifications, passing sidings, and yard arrangements to be able to make some reasonable decisions before the cornfield meets started stacking up. Mark also lingered in the area a lot, answering questions and clarifying things, which was very helpful...overall, the experience wasn't half bad...LOL.

Edited by - Harsco on 01/19/2016 11:32:21 AM

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, It sure helps to "know" the railroad for sure. That really makes Dispatching a lot less stressful. Knowing where the passing sidings and train length capacity helps Dispatchers too. I have a list of siding locations and capacities on the board for Dispatchers to reference. Even guys that know the railroad this list helps out. When I do my final track schematic I will include capacities on the board.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  10:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More coal, Sounds like live load time!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  11:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Rick, It sure helps to "know" the railroad for sure. That really makes Dispatching a lot less stressful. Knowing where the passing sidings and train length capacity helps Dispatchers too. I have a list of siding locations and capacities on the board for Dispatchers to reference. Even guys that know the railroad this list helps out. When I do my final track schematic I will include capacities on the board.

Good advice Bill! While I've only had a few sessions so far, I'm trying to get everyone rotated through various positions on the layout. I do this for several reasons, but mainly because everyone offers different insight as to what they liked, what worked well, and also they offer suggestions of what might work better. This includes the dispatcher's position. I've already changed the 'model board' as a result of some suggestions, and will continue to makes changes and add to the documentation as time goes on. I like your idea of listing sidings and siding capacities, which can be very helpful.

The other thing I need to do is do a better job of naming 'landmarks' around the layout and ensure these areas are well labeled. For example, I have a siding called 'Creek Siding' on the layout and it's labeled on the model board, but it isn't labeled on the layout so crews don't know where 'Creek Siding' is.

Every session yields more and more great ideas and I'm learning as I go!

Mark

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  4:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark. It was fun reading your account of your latest session. Looks like it was busy, challenging, yet engaging for the operators. Man, things have developed recently! Nice to see the scenery taking shape as well! It's so much fun sharing the hobby with others and I know your friends truly appreciate the invite to operate. I appreciate the extra time you've taken to document the session and snap photos!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2016 :  4:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and thanks for stopping by! Yes, slowly but surely, I am transitioning to the scenery stage of the railroad, although there are those maintenance projects that pop up that impede progress on the scenery. I'm looking forward to finishing the hardshell in the Wilkes-Barre area and then installing some retaining walls and some of that green stuff.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2016 :  6:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, I'm getting caught up on your progress since last time I looked in late Fall '15. I really like the way the lead in to Wilkes-Barre is developing and also enjoyed your updates on the ops sessions.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vagel! I've been distracted recently with a home bathroom project so no real progress to report as of yet, but I'll be getting back to it in the next few days.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  2:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yup! Honey do's come first.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  9:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Bill, there's no 'honey' in my house, but my kids, who stay with me when they come to visit, suggested that the bathroom looks, how shall I say this... 'well used'! So it's a relatively quick project that I hope to have completed in the next few days. Then its back to the railroad.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  12:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scenery work continues in the Wilkes-Barre area of the railroad. This area is probably the most complex area on the railroad to be scenicked as it involves one of the few elevation changes where the Wilkes-Barre connecting track that heads downgrade and into staging from Buttonwood yard. There are three bridges that cross this track; two track bridges and a road bridge that will disguise the wall opening into staging.

I built the first two track bridge and associated bridge abutments in an earlier post back in April, 2015. That bridge is a two track plate girder bridge that carries the Wilkes-Barre Industrial track into Wilkes-Barre. The next bridge, which I have now just started, carries the Vulcon Iron industrial track into the Vulcon Iron complex. This particular bridge was a little more difficult as the tracks cross each other at a strange angle.

For the bridge itself, I decided to keep it simple as this is only an industrial lead track. I wanted a smaller through truss bridge to contrast with the plate girder bridge I used for the branch line tracks. I cobbled together a skewed through truss bridge from some old Atlas bridge parts and some Central Valley bridge tie strips that I had.

Once the bridge was finished, I then had to scratch build the bridge abutments. To do this, I started with foamcore to build the substructure that would provide support for the bridge. Since this is an older area, I knew that the abutments should be stone, but at the time I wasnít sure what I would use for the stone texture itself.

I began by building the abutment structure itself with the foamcoare. While this doesnít pretty, it provided the base I needed to support the bridge and eventually laminate a finished stone texture. Here is one of the two abutments that I built. In this pic, I am test fitting the left abutment to the existing benchwork.

This picture gives a better view of the overall area, showing the Wilkes-Barre Connecting RR track that runs underneath the bridge. In this picture, I have finished both abutment substructures and am test fitting them to the area.

With the substructures completed, the next task was to find an appropriate texture to laminate. I had originally planned to cast stone walls in hydrocal and apply them to the abutments, but Rick B. suggested I try the Chooch Enterprises wall sections. These are made of a foam material and cast in sheets. They are flexible and come with an adhesive backing. Admittedly, when I first saw them, I wasnít too impressed. In their raw form, they donít look very impressive, but I was curious so I gave them a try and here you can see the results. I was sold! They are easy to cut and work with.

Both abutments are now finished and I am now getting ready to add the capping and paint.

I plan to color the stones a dark brown/blackish color, similar to the cut stone walls typically found in the northeast. Then, final installation.

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  1:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wasn't too impressed when I saw the Chooch materials in the store either, Mark. But, they look great for your abutments. I'll have to give them a second look.

Chuck

shark_jj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  2:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too like the abutments. Once they are weathered up, they should fit in very nicely. I am going to have to see if they are available in N Scale.

John Johnston
Grand Trunk Southern

shark_jj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  2:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too like the abutments. Once they are weathered up, they should fit in very nicely. I am going to have to see if they are available in N Scale.

John Johnston
Grand Trunk Southern

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  2:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good. I bought some Chooch sheet stone when it first came out, but have never used it because it would need complete re-coloring to replicate the blackened granite/white mortar RR stonework found in my area. I looked closely at their cobblestones at the Big E this year, though. When I need more cobblestone, they'll definitely be in the running.

Page: of 94 Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000