Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Erie & Pittsburgh Line Construction (n scale) Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  9:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally, a coat of flat back paint covers the white of the plaster and ready’s the area for the eventual application of ground cover.

I have placed the new background building behind Vulcan Iron Works. Here you can see how the industrial winds its way between these two buildings and ‘behind’ the Vulcan Iron Works complex.

An overall view of the area with buildings put back in place.

Turning slightly to the right brings the Vulcan Iron Works complex into view. You can also see some new backdrops that I just printed out and temporarily hung into place. I have several backdrops for this area that I am working on and will move these around until I found the right combination.

This complex itself needs a lot of work. Among these buildings is the Walther’s Vulcon Iron Works building (in the center). The rest are a collection of other odd buildings from over the years. These will be kitbashed and repainted to create more of a ‘complex’ feeling.

Time to clean up for the next op session!

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  10:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Mark.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  10:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The area has that "busy industrial" look with lots of area in the foreground for detailing...keep going!

Edited by - Harsco on 01/17/2016 10:25:29 PM

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  12:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's going to be a good looking area Mark. Is the building to the left a couple of kitbashed Revel engine house kits? I have one I actually use as an engine house in my Middletown engine facility.

What is on sale at Buy 1 get 50% off?

Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  12:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

It's going to be a good looking area Mark. Is the building to the left a couple of kitbashed Revel engine house kits? I have one I actually use as an engine house in my Middletown engine facility.

What is on sale at Buy 1 get 50% off?

Bill

Yes Bill, I believe that is one of the kits made from those walls. That, along with the Superior Bakery kit. That particular building was an old kitbash from years gone by and will be re-kitbashed to become the assembly building for Vulcon Iron Works.

As for the 50% off ad, I finally found a good use for all of that junk mail I got!

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  09:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good,

Cant wait to see a Baldwin or maybe an Alco product rolling past..

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  8:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob! And with regard to the Baldwyn and Alco units, they go through there every day! In fact, there is an RS-11 assigned to the Wilkes-Barre local job.

Mark

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  9:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That should be an impressive complex when you get it done Mark.

Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  10:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. I hope so!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  10:58:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another op session on the Northern Division is now in the history books! I had a crew of 9, 1 short of the regular crew size, so things fell a little behind schedule, but all in all things ran fairly smoothly from my vantage point. We had two new crew members this time around; Phil D. and Ralph (LVRalph). After a short briefing and tour of the railroad property, they were off and running and seemed to have a great time.

So here is a summary of the events of the night.

Our yard master at Northumberland tonight was Bill H. This was his first attempt at this nerve wracking position and while things got off to what appeared to be a rough start, as the session progressed, Bill seemed to handle it all in stride. Here we see Ralph has just arrived with train CSB-7, a through freight that stops at Northumberland to set off a block and pick up a block for Pittsburgh. At the same time, Bill is directing PJ as he leaves with train S-78, a local that serves south Sunbury, out of the yard.

Meanwhile, we find Joe H. at the other end of the railroad with train RRS-53, a Reading train that has made its way south to service the Pennsylvania Power and Light plant at Shamokin Dam.

It looks like Joe has completed his work here and is now ready to head back north (to staging) and is getting clearance from the operator at Kase Tower.

Here is newcomer Phil D. on his train, S-352, a local out of Glen Burn that services local coal on the Shamokin Seondary. Phil is headed westbound, just entering the town of Shamokin, on his way back to Glen Burn with loaded coal inbound to the colliery for sorting and cleaning.

Things seem to be heating up at Northumberland! I think we caught Bill at a bad time as Bill looks a little frazzled in this picture. With schedules and waybills scattered about, multiple trains moving throughout the complex, Bill is wondering if he has bitten off more than he can chew!

Assuming the role of the operator at Kase Tower (our dispatcher) was Rick B. Rick has the schedule, tower operators log sheet and track diagram in front of him. He has 5 trains out on the railroad that he is trying to keep track of, along with all of the goodies and snacks within an arm’s reach!

This was the first time Rick ever tried his hand at dispatching and did a great job! He looks very calm and collected here.

Things are starting to heat up on the mainline! Here we find PJ who is shifting the businesses in Sunbury with train S-72. These locals out on the main line create a headache for the operator at Kase Tower.

And here is John R. with train S-97, the local out of Buttonwood Yard that services the business along the Wilkes-Barre branch. John is currently shifting businesses in Nanticoke and will make his way along the line clogging up the works until he gets to South Danville where he will turn and return to Buttonwood. By the looks of the size of this train, John has a lot of work ahead of him tonight.

Over on the Shamokin Secondary we find Ralph D. with train S-272 in front of Glen Burn Colliery. From the looks of the train, it appears Ralph has made up the PP&L block and is getting ready to head west down the branch to Sunbury. He will then make his way to the PP&L plant in Shamokin Dam where he will drop off these loads and pick up empties and return to Glen Burn. Ralph seems very focused!

It looks like things have settled down at Northumberland for the time being as Bill and George, who was the operator at Northumberland this evening, enjoy their coffee and exchange in some conversation.

All of this activity on the main line could only mean one thing…chaos for our dispatcher! Sure enough, Rick has hit the bottle and is smoking multiple electronic cigarettes! “Mark, what am I supposed to do with all of these trains?”

Later on, it looks like things have picked up at Buttonwood Yard as Chris C. has an inbound train sitting on the branch and is getting ready to handle the work ahead of him.

It was another great session. I really enjoyed this session as there didn’t seem to be as many issues this time around as has been in the past, so I had plenty of time to enjoy seeing things run and see the railroad come to life. The guys all seemed to have a good time.

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  11:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark !! Not sure if you have the LV interchange at Mt Carmel but if you do the LV would bring a cut of 20-30 cars 2-3 times per week from the Lion's Fines plant in Hazelton to the PRR for the Shamokin Dam PPL plant. This was in the early sixties before the LV abandoned their interchange at Mt Carmel. It was anthracite fines so the loads would be a very fine coal. I'm looking for LV hoppers now to add it to my Mt Carmel traffic. --- Ken

Edited by - keystonefarm on 01/18/2016 11:46:04 PM

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  01:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great operating session Mark!! Your railroad sure has come a long ways and is looking like it is running like it is supposed to. The operators are having fun.

Rick needs more than double black. Get that man a Dewers!.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  09:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does look like fun, and nice to see faces familiar from the Mt. Laurel convention.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  11:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Looking good Mark !! Not sure if you have the LV interchange at Mt Carmel but if you do the LV would bring a cut of 20-30 cars 2-3 times per week from the Lion's Fines plant in Hazelton to the PRR for the Shamokin Dam PPL plant. This was in the early sixties before the LV abandoned their interchange at Mt Carmel. It was anthracite fines so the loads would be a very fine coal. I'm looking for LV hoppers now to add it to my Mt Carmel traffic. --- Ken

I do model the LV interchange in Mt. Carmel Ken, but did not know about that. I knew the Reading brought coal into PP&L, and of course the PRR brought it in from Glen Burn, but the LV also supplied coal? Interesting!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  11:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill and James!

Bill, I could only supply Rick with what I had on hand, and I happen to be a JW man! And that Double Black is the best!

James, yes, its the usual cast of characters down here! A good group of guys!

Mark

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Erie & Pittsburgh Line Construction (n scale) Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000