Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Ambitious Project ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  11:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lynn!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/20/2015 :  11:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Bill, you were right!

I took a break from installing switch machines in the staging yard this weekend to tackle another project I have been wanting to do for a while. With construction done, I decided it was finally time to install the skirting around the layout. What a difference this makes! Here are a couple of before and after pictures.

The first aisle before…

… and after.

And the back aisle before…

… and after.

Not only does it hide all the junk I store under the layout, but it also makes the layout ‘pop’ out at you! This is the result I was aiming for from day one and I finally got there.

Mark

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  09:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks really good Mark. What kind of material did you use for it?

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  09:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil. I couldn't tell you what it is. I had some from my old layout, and the bought some that was extra from another layout.

Mark

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  10:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Mark... you've worked hard on the overall presentation of the layout... the skirting certainly works well together with the valence and ceiling that you previously had spent some real time on... you're open for the MER in October, right?

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  10:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never mind... I just read the previous page carefully... see you next month.

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2015 :  10:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Jim! I look forward to meeting you. I will be at a few of the layouts for both open houses and helping with the op sessions and hope to meet up with a lot of forum members. In fact, when the time draws near, I hope we get a thread going and set up our annual 'crew lounge at the convention bar'! Hopefully you will join us.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  01:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice Mark. See what a big difference it makes. And I wouldn't worry about using the same material. I didn't and no one has noticed. When I bought mine they ran out of the same material so I bought one that was close in color not texture. My guys don't even notice the difference. Yours shouldn't either. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  06:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Skirting looks good, Mark. When will you be adding the upper deck skirting?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  08:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, the Skirting makes a huge difference.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2015 :  09:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for checking in everyone.

Bill, you are right! It is two different materials, one being lighter than the other, but you really can't tell at all.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  10:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As many of you know by now, the NMRA MER National Convention is coming up next week and this year it is being held in our area. Needless to say, a lot of my effort on the railroad has shifted to completing projects I wanted to have done by that time. One of those projects was to install the skirting around the layout, which I finished and showed in my previous post. The other big project was finishing the backdrops.

There are two areas on the layout that still needed backdrops installed; the two levels that come through the steps and around the landing in the stairway, and the area around Glen Burn Colliery.

This time around, I decided to use a method that Harsco (Rick) used on his layout, .060” styrene. We have a plastics distributor’s warehouse in our area and among other things, they supply sheet styrene, so I purchased 2 4’x8’ sheets for $25 each. Not only is the price reasonable, but this is very easy to work with and flexes very easily, which is what I was really looking for.

Here is a before picture of the area on the stairway landing coming into the basement. This is where the two levels come through the steps from the staging yard and make their appearance onto the railroad.

And after the installation of the styrene material. This was ridiculously easy to install and almost holds itself in place all by itself, but I did glue and tack it into place. All that is needed now is to spackle the edge to the right so that it better blends into the wall board and then paint it sky blue.

The other area that was waiting for a backdrop was the opening left from the helix installation behind what is now Glen Burn. I had previously put a foam insulation board in this spot temporarily until I decided what I was going to do here, but I have now removed that prior to installing the styrene sheet.

This is another view of the same area and shows the two tracks coming off of the helix and headed into their respective areas. The track to the left is the Shamokin track which runs in front of Glen Burn and on to Mt. Carmel to the left. The track to the right is the Wilke-Barre branch headed into South Danville and then onto Wilkes-Barre to the right. These two areas are theoretically 100 miles apart from each other, so the other challenge was to create a backdrop to separate the two tracks and have them appear in their respective areas.

The first step was to install the styrene sheet behind Glen Burn. I have already applied spackle to the left side to blend it into the wall board. To the right I have cut in access holes where the tracks pass through the backdrop. Note the larger hole which will be hidden, but allows me to stick my arm into this area to clean track, retrieve derailed cars, etc.

I have now installed two more pieces of styrene, both of which start at the front of the layout and then curve back towards to walls. The one to the left defines Glen Burn and also hides with Wilkes-Barre branch from view.

All that is left to do now is paint the backdrops the sky color. Once I scenic this area, I will create a ‘tunnel of trees’ the trains will pass through to access these openings which in turn will hide these openings from the viewer.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  11:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job with that styrene sheeting, Mark.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark! Can't wait to see it in person during the convention,

Phil

tloc
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  1:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice use of the styrene Mark. Did you have to add any additional support, like 16 or 24 inches apart?

Enjoy the day
TomO
RailPro users Group: https://rpug.pdc.ca

Page: of 97 Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.76 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000