Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 94

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2015 :  09:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, great info Ken! I didn't have room for Weigh Scales on the layout, but still all your information is relevant to my operating scheme. "German Coal". Who would have thought that! Didn't they also ship coal to Beth Steel in Buffalo from Glen Burn?

As for the quarry, that is totally new to me as I had no idea of the quarry. I don't model the Lewiston Branch itself as I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it was cut before my time period (1967). I just model that portion that goes up the western bank of the Susquehanna to Shamokin Dam. But I like the idea of blocks of cars coming off the branch to Norry.

Thanks for all the great information!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 04/18/2015 09:32:59 AM

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/19/2015 :  12:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark not sure about anthracite to Beth Steel in Buffalo. No good for met coal for coke production and by your time it's use for home heating was about done. It is used as a filter in water filtration plants and some could be shipped to Canada via CN.One thing to remember is anthracite is only in a very few areas of the US so if any is needed it only has a few sources.
The Black Mill just east of Sunbury was served by both the PRR and RDG. It shipped boxcars with large bags of crushed coal for filtration . In your era the H-30's would be perfect for that traffic. It is alos used as a water filter in fish tanks !!!
My Selinsgrove branch only goes as far west as Kreamer. At Kreamer I have a passing siding for a run around and what I do is have the empties going to Naginey left there by the S-72 local. Between session they get loaded so when the S-72 shows up again it has loads to take back to Norry. So you don't need to model all the branch to get some of the traffic.
Do you have a ct 1000 ? If not let me know. It is the bible of PRR customers. I've been collecting Buffalo line info for almost 30 years now and will be happy to share what I have learned. ---- Ken

Edited by - keystonefarm on 04/19/2015 12:47:53 AM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 04/19/2015 :  11:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, I was just checking back a few pages. The abutment came out beautifully and Rick's track weathering is bang on. The layout is taking off!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2015 :  6:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Mark not sure about anthracite to Beth Steel in Buffalo. No good for met coal for coke production and by your time it's use for home heating was about done. It is used as a filter in water filtration plants and some could be shipped to Canada via CN.One thing to remember is anthracite is only in a very few areas of the US so if any is needed it only has a few sources.
The Black Mill just east of Sunbury was served by both the PRR and RDG. It shipped boxcars with large bags of crushed coal for filtration . In your era the H-30's would be perfect for that traffic. It is alos used as a water filter in fish tanks !!!
My Selinsgrove branch only goes as far west as Kreamer. At Kreamer I have a passing siding for a run around and what I do is have the empties going to Naginey left there by the S-72 local. Between session they get loaded so when the S-72 shows up again it has loads to take back to Norry. So you don't need to model all the branch to get some of the traffic.
Do you have a ct 1000 ? If not let me know. It is the bible of PRR customers. I've been collecting Buffalo line info for almost 30 years now and will be happy to share what I have learned. ---- Ken

Thanks Ken! Your input is valuable as you are answering questions I haven't even thought to ask yet! I do know that by my time period, Glen Burns production was scaled way down. I probably generate more outbound traffic from Glen Burn on my layout than the prototype did at that time. I seem to recall reading somewhere that by the late 60's, Glen Burn was only shipping out 8-12 cars a day. I do have coal headed to the PP&L plant in Shamokin Dam and figure what else is left may ship else where.

I like the idea of the quarry. I may have to incorporate a similar operation on my layout.

And yes, I do have copies of pages of the CT-1000 which has been useful. Of course, in most cases, I only have the business name and no other information as to what that business was. I rely on 'modelers license' a lot!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2015 :  6:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

Hi Mark, I was just checking back a few pages. The abutment came out beautifully and Rick's track weathering is bang on. The layout is taking off!

Thanks Mike! Yes, I can finally start to think about scenery, which is something I really enjoy. It's coming along!

Mark

chrisbconaway
New Hire

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  2:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress! I look forward to seeing it in person next time.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  11:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris! Perhaps next month. And by then, I should have a lot more for you to see.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  2:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the past few weeks, I’ve actually managed to get a lot done, just nothing really worthy of posting here. Much of my time has been spent doing little things and getting ready for the next ‘trial ops session’ that I held last night. This time, I added three more crew members, giving me an operator at Northumberland, an operator at Buttonwood and a fifth road crew. I was the dispatcher on the fly, which admittedly was difficult as I was also running around, noting and in some cases, fixing problems that arose, answering questions, etc. Next time I plan to have the full crew, which will include a dispatcher and a second operator at Northumberland Yard.

Things got off to a rocky start as some problems surfaced that hadn’t before. For example, we had power problems in Northumberland Yard. After doing some trouble shooting, I finally found it; a loose wire nut connection under the railroad. As long as I’ve been playing in the yard, that has never surfaced before! That delayed things a little and backed the yard up until we got it fixed.

In addition, there were a few rail joiner connections that failed, causing dead sections of track. Again, something that never surfaced before. I fixed several things as they surfaced, so as the night moved on, things began to flow more smoothly and we managed to get through the whole schedule. I do have a long hit list of issues that need to be addressed, but I expected this and it is why I am doing these ‘trial sessions’. Many of these issues simply won’t surface until you really run the railroad with multiple operators.

It was fun to see the railroad come to life and see the various trains doing their work. For the most part, the schedule seems to work. We had a couple of passes on the mainline, but generally, everyone was spread out in the various areas throughout the night, so there weren’t many conflicts.

So here are some visuals from last nights session. Here we have Joe H. who just arrived at Northumberland Yard with BF-7. It looks like he is checking his train card to see what work he has to do at the Yard. Bruce is the operator at Northumberland tonight and is going about his job pulling the Buffalo block and putting it on Joe’s train.

Poor Joe started the night out as the Northumberland Yard operator but quickly realized he was in over his head so Bruce jumped in and took over the job. In fairness to Joe, he was there when we had the power issue in the yard, which resulted in the yard getting backed up. Needless to say, we gave Joe a hard time, but it really wasn’t his fault.

Staying away from the confusion, he we find John R. on the other side of the room in South Sunbury working train S-78. John just seemed to be enjoying himself while pulling the tank cars from the fuel distributorship in South Sunbury.

A short time later, we find Bob P. with train S-72, the local that switches Sunbury. This can be a tricky area to work as you have to stay clear of the main while trains go past you, but Bob seemed to handle it easily enough!

Rick pulled the long train of the night, S-272. This is the coal job that serves Glen Burn Colliery and also the Shamokin Dam power plant, which means you are all over the railroad over the course of your run. Here we find Rick working the Penna. Power and Light coal yard at Shamokin Dam, setting out loads and picking up empties. He will return to Glen Burn with the empties.

Later on, we find Joe H. back at Northumberland Yard. This time he is getting his motive power out of the roundhouse for his train, train S-390, the local that serves the Shamokin Branch to Mt. Carmel. Joe is using the temporary control panel that I built earlier in the day as I had just finished wiring up the roundhouse tracks yesterday! We wouldn’t see Joe again until over an hour and a half later, but he came back to the yard with a good size train of pickups and a big smile on his face, so it appears he enjoyed himself!

About the same time, we see Bruce setting out the cars for train S-390 on one of the departure tracks. At this point, Bruce has gotten the hang of the yard and looks a little too comfortable. In fact, by the end of the night, Bruce was heard saying that he likes the yard because you sit while you operate it!

A short while later, I realized that I had three trains working the Shamokin Branch at the same time! Some dispatcher I was! Rick was finishing his work at Glen Burn and PJ had been running the interchange train that runs to Mt. Carmel. But by the time I made my way over to Shamokin to work out what I thought would be a corn field meet, the guys had worked it all out and as can be seen here, Joe was going about his business in Shamokin.

Seeing that Joe was ok, I wandered over to Glen Burn to see how Rick was making out, still working train S-272. Here I find Rick in the process of sorting out all the empties and putting them in the coal yard at Glen Burn. Rick is comparing his instructions on the train card to the area map of Glen Burn and pointing out some inconsistencies in my instructions, a criticism I welcomed as I want to flush these out and make the instructions as clear as possible.

While watching Rick, I turned around to find John R. working train S-97, a local out of Buttonwood Yard in Wilkes-Barre that services the Wilkes-Barre branch. John just had a big smile on his face when he saw me and said ‘this is interesting’! As can be seen in the picture, John had more pick-ups than set outs on his way down the branch and is now faced with trying to reverse his train in South Danville, which is too long for the siding! But he pulled it off and made it back to Buttonwood 45 minutes later.

Later on, I did stop by at Buttonwood to see how things were going there. Chris C. stepped up to the plate and took on the Buttonwood Yard operator position for the night and seemed to handle it just fine. Here we find the yard is a little busy as John has just returned with S-98. On the other track, we see train NB-5, which was being held until S-78 returned to the yard and is now ready to pull out and make its way to Northumberland.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the railroad, PJ is found in Shamokin Dam working train S-70, the local out of Northumberland serving the Selinsgrove Secondary. He has made his way to the end of the branch and is switching out the fly ask covered hoppers at the Penna. Power and Light generating plant in Shamokin Dam.

Back at Northumberland, things are wrapping up for the night and Bruce suddenly finds himself dealing with about three trains at the same time! Bob P. has just arrived with train CSB-8 and waiting do his work Rick is in the back ground finishing up paperwork with Bruce from train NB-5 which just arrived, and RN-1 is scheduled to depart Northumberland in a few minutes for Renovo! Northumberland can get busy, which is why it will have two operators in future sessions.

All in all, I am really happy with how the session went. Needless to say, several issues surfaced that need attention, but that’s to be expected. It appears everyone had a good time, especially myself! We ran lots of trains, and after six years of construction, it was great to see the Northern Division is finally generating revenue!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 05/09/2015 6:22:17 PM

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  4:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for hosting an excellent operating session Mark. Things ran very well and the time you invested in planning trains out has paid off. I especially enjoyed the train that services A&P and Barrett. One of the amazing things is that I think I only saw John R. twice the whole session, the same with Joe H. On my last train of the night, I actually had a meet with John's train. It was one of those when did you get here moments.

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  4:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really cool stuff Mark.

Looks really good!

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  6:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BN_Fan

Thanks for hosting an excellent operating session Mark. Things ran very well and the time you invested in planning trains out has paid off. I especially enjoyed the train that services A&P and Barrett. One of the amazing things is that I think I only saw John R. twice the whole session, the same with Joe H. On my last train of the night, I actually had a meet with John's train. It was one of those when did you get here moments.

Thanks Bob! Glad you enjoyed yourself. Yes, in many respects, things went better than I expected. But on the other hand, I didn't know what to expect!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  6:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BessemerBob

Really cool stuff Mark.

Looks really good!

Thanks Bob!

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  9:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen, it's a rare layout which doesn't manifest a few glitches when guests are present. At TMRC, they joked about the 'psyton' particle which carried the sinister force. It was emitted by observers' eyes, so the more observers, the more trouble.

I'm glad your RR gave satisfaction.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  10:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having gone through the process several years ago, I learned how persnickety a layout can be when first brought to life; last night's session had its share of expected boondoggles, but nothing that really upset the process of running trains. With it's double deck, long sight lines, impressive runs, and expected traffic density, Mark's layout is well on it's way to being a top shelf model railroad. Knowing his penchant for persistence, I'm sure he'll hunt down all the little glitches and mercilessly eradicate them....

This is gonna be VERY enjoyable....

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  11:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, my layout is no exception! As I mentioned, while I was expecting issues, I was surprised at some of the issues that did surface. For example, a wire nut connection for the drill track in Northumberland. That hadn't given me any issues what so ever until last night. And you are right; the more observers, the more issues! But that's why I've decided to start operating now, long before any scenery - so I can week out these issues one by one.

Thanks Rick. You've been a big help along the way!

Mark

Page: of 94 Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000