Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  10:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, the abutments look good. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who weathers track and ties with a brush.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  10:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick needs to do a few clinics for the MER convention in the fall!

I'm liking the looks of Glen Burn! Is that the only colliery on the layout? I was reading something recently about the Glen Lyon colliery, which was a few miles south of Buttonwood on a mining branch to Nanticoke.

It is looking good, Mark.

Chuck

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Completely agree!

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  5:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Hi Mark,
Just a quick question. What is the height between the two track levels in the last photo and also the thickness of the fascia.
Looks to be an effective height to me.

Hi Arian! Thanks for checking in. The lower level is 41" off the floor, and the second level is 60" off the floor. The valence is 8" down from the ceiling, and the fascia is 6", allowing 14" between lower and upper deck and 14" between upper deck and valence.

There was another local layout that was double decked that I used to operate on and found that his heights seemed perfect, so I stole those measurements from him. I'm taller (6'4"), so for me, it can't be too tall, but taking into consideration some of the others in our operating crew, these heights seemed to work out well.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  5:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree as well! But try getting him to do it. We are very fortunate in our area to have SteamNut's mechanical abilities and Harsco's artistic touch.

quote:

I'm liking the looks of Glen Burn! Is that the only colliery on the layout? I was reading something recently about the Glen Lyon colliery, which was a few miles south of Buttonwood on a mining branch to Nanticoke.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Yes, that's the only one, and one is enough. If you remember, some time ago you sent me several pictures of Glen Burn which I've added to my collection of documentation. We were referring to them the other night when laying this out.

While it was a big complex, after we placed the two New River Mine kits out, we realized that maybe what I was trying to was too big!

It would be difficult, if not impossible to model the facility as it was, but I think I can definitely capture the feel of it. You will notice the conveyer that crosses over the main line track. That went to a narrow gauge line that brought coal in from another complex. I am going to try to model that as well. It will definitely be a busy looking complex as well as fun to operate.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 04/15/2015 5:32:44 PM

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  6:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy smokes Mark...I know I've fallen out of the loop and haven't been on here (or elsewhere) in awhile, but geez!!! Had to go back at least a half dozen pages to get caught up.

Everything looks awesome as expected. So good to see how your plans for the layout are all coming together. Good luck with the continued progress.

BTW-does Rick still work for peanuts?

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  12:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark if you need any more pictures of Glen Burn let me know. I have some taken in the early 80's I think . Not sure if you know this but the actual mine shaft for Glen Burn went under rt61. So when looking at the buildings from Rt 61 the mine shaft is behind you. It went about 2-3 miles into the mountain . The ore traffic on the branch is what got me interested in the Buffalo line. It's a shame I don't model more of it than I do. ----- Ken

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  01:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pcmatt

Holy smokes Mark...I know I've fallen out of the loop and haven't been on here (or elsewhere) in awhile, but geez!!! Had to go back at least a half dozen pages to get caught up.

Everything looks awesome as expected. So good to see how your plans for the layout are all coming together. Good luck with the continued progress.

BTW-does Rick still work for peanuts?

Hey Matt! It's good to hear from you. You need to get over here one of these days. Better yet, we need to get over there and light a fire under you!

As for Rick, whatever the cost, it's worth it!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  01:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Mark if you need any more pictures of Glen Burn let me know. I have some taken in the early 80's I think . Not sure if you know this but the actual mine shaft for Glen Burn went under rt61. So when looking at the buildings from Rt 61 the mine shaft is behind you. It went about 2-3 miles into the mountain . The ore traffic on the branch is what got me interested in the Buffalo line. It's a shame I don't model more of it than I do. ----- Ken

Ken, I'm always interested in any information you might have. As I mentioned before, I'm not sure just how accurate I may try to get, but I want to at least capture the flavor of the complex. And while I do have quite a few pictures, the more the better!

And no, I didn't realize that the shaft was on that side of the complex. I see a conveyer that goes about halfway up the 'culm hill' and assumed that went to a shaft. Am I wrong about that?

I supposed next time I see you, I may have to pick your brain about what you know about Glen Burn.

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  8:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark a good bit of the coal out of Glen Burn went to the Shamokin Dam PPL plant on the Selinsgrove Br, Plant was built to burn anthracite. They were also served by the RDG with a branch off the west end of the Readings bridge across the river at Sunbury. The PRR ops were empties to Glen Burn from Norry. Loads to Weight Scales then to Norry. Then to the PPL plant on the Selinsgrove local. Also at the time you are modeling there was a big push to use US coal to heat US Army barracks in Germany. Their local Congressman Curt Flood was instumental in getting coal from his district to Germany. It was shipped thru the port at Philadelphia. Some of this coal came from Glen Burn. ----- Ken

Edited by - keystonefarm on 04/16/2015 9:01:36 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  10:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Ken. I did read somewhere how coal from Glen Burn went to the PPL plant at Shamokin Dam, but what I read implied that a train originated at Glen Burn and took it directly to Shamokin Dam and then returned with empties. Are you aware of such a run, or was it always through Norry?

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  08:11:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for posting the weathering with a brush method.

Great to see options!

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2015 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome Bob. I'm always open to new ideas and this technique is a departure from what I used to do. Having seen the results on Harsco's layout, I had to give this a try! Of course, as I mentioned, it's even easier than I thought as well. Once I get into it more, I'll post more pictures.

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/18/2015 :  01:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark loads from Glen Burn went to Weight Scales to be weighted. The Weight Scales shifter would have done this work. In your time period they had an RS-11 based at Weight Scales to weight the cars and make up the train. The S-391 from either Mt Carmel or Shamokin would pick up the loads and take them to Norry. No connection off the branch to go south. The S-72 the Selinsgrove local would then take the cars to Shamokin Dam. Empties made the reverse trip S-71 to Norry then S-390 to Glen Burn. The ore trains would sometimes use the S-390 symbol also.
The Germany coal would go from Glen Burn to Weight Scales then to Norry. Then to Enola . No idea if it was shipped in unit trains but considering it was going accross the Atlantic I would imagine a number of trains would be required.
If you have Weight Scales station a RS-11 and a N-5b there and have the crew go back and forth between Weight Scales and Glen Burn.If not have the S-390/391 crew do the work. All cars off the branch served mines had the loads weighted at Weight Scales.
Also regarding the S-71/72 Selinsgrove trains they picked up limestone from a Beth Steel owned quarry at Naginey Pa. when the branch was intact from Selinsgrove to Lewistown. A local out of Lewistown would take the traffic half way up the branch where the Norry based trains would pick it up. When the branch was cut ( I can't remember what year !! )it went to Enola then up to Norry to be put on the ore trains as a block. ----- Ken

Edited by - keystonefarm on 04/18/2015 01:08:09 AM

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/18/2015 :  08:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keystone,

Great history. A part of the hobby that is really enjoyable for me. Mark you can never have enough RS11s! Sounds like another is in order to work the scales...

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000