Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  9:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Mark. You're getting closer!

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  10:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Mark! Sorry I couldn't make it last night. Look forward to next time. You guys never cease to amaze me-14 sheets!!!

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  12:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Yes, there is still a lot to do, but its finally starting to take shape. This is NOT the fun part, but I know the efforts will be well rewarded down the road when the layout is up and running. Hopefully soon enough I will share some of my modeling efforts on this forum rather than home renovation.

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  04:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, guys....sorry I missed it.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  1:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Rick. There will be plenty of other opportunities!

Mark

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  09:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to see some progress, even if it isn't on the layout.

I wish I had some progress to report!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  12:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, long past due for an update, but finally I have some news to update with. I have finally reached that point where I can declare the major construction of the room done! Over the past three months, with the holidays, etc., it was difficult finding days to devote to finishing the walls, but finally after the new year I was able to finish up the electrical work, finish spackling and sanding the walls and install trim work. Bruce came over one night and installed the two doors into the storage room for me, and Rick came over to help me apply a coat of primer.

Finally, last weekend I applied the finish color coat to the main wall and workbench area. The other walls will be covered with layout so for the time being, I will leave them with the primer coat and eventually the sky backdrop will cover them.

So here is the finished product! The first two shots are a view down the basement stairs - before and after shots.

Before...

... and after!

This is the main wall we built to seperate the storage room that contains the furnace from the layout room. This is the wall you saw SteamNut building back on page 1 of this thread!

And of course, an area I will be spending a lot of my time, the area that will house the new work bench, which I hope to install in the next couple of weeks.

Of course, there is still a lot of work to do before I can start benchwork. I have started to paint the floor and will finish that by the end of this week. Then I have to install a series of shelving along the long wall and begin unpacking, sorting and putting all of the assorted railroad related stuff away that you see here in the center of the room!

Eventually I will be installing a suspending ceiling in the room. I plan to begin installation of the ceiling grid shortly, before getting too far into building benchwork, but will hold off on installing the ceiling tiles until the layout is well underway and the layout lighting is installed.

Hopefully, I will be able to begin sharing progress shots of the layout construction soon instead of pictures of home renovation. And while it has taken me nearly a year to get to this point, I have no regrets. My last layout was housed in a finished basement that provided a very comfortable atmosphere to enjoy my modeling time and I wanted to create that same atmosphere here in the new house. So while this part of the project hasn't been fun, I know down the road, I will look back and realize it was well worth the effort.

Mark

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  06:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Both construction and color look great. Been wondering about your progress as I'd really like to see your Pennsy up and running again

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  07:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not bad if I do say so my self. Oh wait I helped get it this far, Benchwork Benchwork Benchwork!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  08:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Mark.....when's the helix go in...this weekend? <grin> Looks great; maybe you should focus on the workbench before moving on since there will be times when you just feel like futzing around with a kit. Actually both of us have hit something of a road block on the benches; does anyone on the forum know where we can get inexpensive bathroom vanity kits..the source Mark used before (Mills Pride at Lowes or HD) is no longer carried, so we're scrambling to find an alternative. Both of us want to avoid kitchen cabinets due to their height (in my case, I need to squeeze the workbench under the future Market Street addition)and depending on the configuration, a vanity can be just as useful...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  08:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Yeah Mark.....when's the helix go in...this weekend? <grin>

Well Rick, I'm officially ready and that was that plan, that is, until someone we knew decided to get himself disabled!

As for the workbench, the search continues. In my previous basement, I installed vanity bases and matching wall cabinets to create a nice workbench. This was relatively inexpensive as I used 'kits' you could purchase at Home Depot. When I designed this space, I planned the alcove area to accept a vanity base arrangement, only to find out these 'kits' have been discontinued! The only vanity bases they offer now are these 'decorator' style bathroom vanities rather than you basic 24" wide base with a drawer. Hopefully I can find inexpensive vanity bases somewhere soon as this is the next big step foward in the basement; getting my workbench up!

Mark

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  09:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Mark. A very nice job by all.

You using the type of suspended ceiling that has a plastic finish to minimize dust?

Hopefully we'll see pictures of benchwork soon.

As you think, so will you be.

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  09:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who Me! It will be only a small delay. And then I hope you can keep up.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  2:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
What a nice room, I just stubbled upon this thread. I need to go back to the beginning and read all about it. Looks like a nice space for sure.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  3:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Who Me! It will be only a small delay. And then I hope you can keep up.

Hmmm...I don't recall any names being mentioned, did you, Mark? <laughing>

Even the Energizer Bunny has to take a break now and then!

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000