Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  11:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great! Glad to see operations underway.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  12:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, Congratulations on your first session!!!! Ain't it grand?!?!?!! I call these Beta sessions. This is where you shake it out and see what works and what doesn't. According to your post you got the first list of things that shook out. I'm going to share with you the experience of operations from my friends that came, and still come, to operate my railroad. Their favorite quote is: "Paperwork!, Paperwork!, PAPERWORK!." You will always find something that needs tweaking especially if and when you make track movements. I know this first hand. The operators are the best test to your operating scheme. This is your railroad ans you have a good grip on what it is supposed to operate like. The operators don't in most cases. So you have to educate them through your paperwork. Maps are the biggest friend you have in towns. When you get your operating bugs worked out I urge you to hold a visitor op session like something from the OpSIG group or and other area group of operators that have not operated your railroad. That will really test your paperwork.

I'm glad you held off the urge on scenicing and ballasting your track. It is much easier to make changes when it is not sceniced. What you did with yours is take the wood look out and give it some air of place by painting. Your going to find, like I did, that items need fixin' like: you need a crossover here or there, the caboose track isn't long enough, the switcher can't get from track A to track B like it is supposed to without a switch here, and believe it or not my favorite is "the track is too long." Sometimes it is.

While you were going through the town names some of them sounded quite familiar. I have a friend in New Mexico, Chuck Cover, that does the Shamokin Division of the Pennsy. We trade op sessions with the folks down in New Mexico a couple times of year. I don't know if you know him but he's in the Pennsy Modelers group and I think the PRR historical society. And going through my photos I have a few that I have taken of his layout that I can send you if you want them. He has some nice scenes and structures he's built. I particularly like his town of "Scales".

Again congratulations on your first operating session Mark. Your railroad looks like fun to operate and by the looks of it fun was had by all that attended.

Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  8:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Looking very nice Mark. Neat to see names and train symbols that are familar !!! Glad to see some new posts from NJ !! I was wondering if everyone over there was hibernating due to our wonderfull weather. ---- Ken

Thanks Ken! Yes, now you understand why I smile at your place. It's neat to see familiar names, symbols, etc., on another layout.

And as you can hopefully see, I wasn't hibernating, but rather tending to the tedious items on the railroad so I could finally get into the operating phase. It was well worth the effort though.

Thanks for checking in.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  8:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob and Bill!

Bill, I couldn't agree with you more! Believe me what I say I've been wanting to start scenery, but held off for the very reasons you state. It's important to first work out the bugs before you make it look beautiful. And with regard to the paperwork, as you know, I also used the map idea and the operators loved it. It really helped orient them around the layout and see where the various towns and sidings were.

With regard to Chuck Cover, while I don't know him personally, I do know of him. If memory serves me correctly, his layout was featured in one of the magazines a couple of years back. He models the Shamokin line with much great detail than I did, and did so beautifully as well.

Thanks for checking in and offering some words of advice.

Mark

vzjtothalo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  09:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOO HOO!

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  5:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, the layout is looking great! Glad the ops session went well. Loved seeing Bruce's H10s bring a little external combustion to the affair, too.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  01:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vagel! Yeah, it was pretty cool to see the H-10 on the rails.

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  5:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Add another first class pike to South Jersey....as everyone who reads this thread can attest, it's been a long and oft times difficult process for Mark, but he's waded through and now has this very impressive layout on the brink of full blown operations. Like any big project, the Northern Division experienced a few burps and burbles last night, just the usual and expected low couplers, sticky turnout points, intermittent short circuits, and collisions with the engine house wall. Nothing that a little solder, glue and spell check can't fix!

Remind me...was that Kramer or Kreamer?

Congrats!

Thanks Rick... I think.

I know you took some pictures last night. How about posting what you took since I didn't even see them yet. And yes, I know you will post that one with the engine house wall!

So since I am about to be the recipient of some mild mannered busting, here's what happened...

I was doing triple duty last night, with my main function being the operator at Northumberland Yard. Focusing on classifying inbound cars, I didn't realize that I had filled one of the classification tracks to capacity and attempted to shove another car into the track. BAM! Next thing you know, a boxcar was attempting to make it's way into the engine house via the rear wall! Funny thing is that I had just placed some track bumpers in that location but hadn't yet spiked them down! I'll put that on my growing 'hit list'!

I apologize for the delay in posting these...but have been somewhat preoccupied for the past week or so...

Some shots of Wilkes Barre yard and the photo backdrops that make this scene jump to life:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_1392_zpsbif90oze.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_1393_zpsf9wz821g.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_1394_zpsxy2erexm.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_1405_zpszvnxoxnl.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_1406_zpsxohqa377.jpg.html][/URL]

And as visual proof that no mistake ever goes unnoticed or unremarked, here's what happens when the yard operator is ten feet away from the end of the yard track:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_1399_zpsszf1wypl.jpg.html][/URL]

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  6:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that last photo what they call an "overrun?"

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  7:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The photo backdrops look good.

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  8:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos.

Really enjoy seeing the D&H mixed in.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  10:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Is that last photo what they call an "overrun?"

dave

No Dave, that's called the yard operator (me) wasn't paying attention to track capacities!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  10:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are those pics of the yard really from my layout? Geez, it almost makes it look like I know what I'm doing!

Great pics Rick! That has me inspired to get more of those backdrops printed out and set up.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  11:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BessemerBob

Great photos.

Really enjoy seeing the D&H mixed in.

Bob, that D&H equipment you see in the yard are from trains CSB-7 and CSB-8, which are transfer runs between Buttonwood Yard on the PRR and Hudson Yard on the D&H. CSB-7 arrives in the late morning with cars headed towards Pittsburg, and then layover for the return portion of the train, CSB-8, which continues off the PRR onto the D&H into Hudson Yard. It makes for an interesting run on the layout.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  11:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks very good Mark. It does make the yard come alive. But..aaahh... your furloughed for a week for that "overrun".

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000