Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2015 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Patrick!

Mark

plavallee
New Hire

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  12:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this on YouTube.
Great colour shots of PRR diesel
engines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkUQ3rTfU4s

Patrick

Some say"blind obedience".
I say "malicious compliance".

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  01:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great find Patrick! While I've seen that video before, it's fun to watch it again. I do love those informational films from the 50's. Times were so different then.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  12:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím long overdue for an update! Even though visual progress on the railroad has slowed somewhat, there has been steady progress overall. After the trial run back in November, I tended to the few repairs that needed to be taken care of, but I also came to realize that in addition to finishing some of the track work that needs to be done, there are several other projects that I needed to complete before I could consider full operations. So I have spent a lot of time filling out more waybills, working on a schedule, etc. There has been visual progress though!

First, track work continues. One area recently completed is Sunbury on the lower level, one of the busier switching areas. There is only two more areas to complete and then I can call track work finished! The biggest of these areas is Wilkes-Barre, which I am getting ready to start next.

In addition to track work, I have just about finished making waybills. Of course I realized that I need to make the boxes to hold the car cards and waybills in each of the switching areas. While I had some from the old layout, I needed quite a few more. That project is now almost complete.

Here is a picture of Mt. Carmel and its associated car card box. The box on the left is for the Lehigh Valley Interchange track while the other box is for the various industries in Mt. Carmel.

I also realized that while most of the track is now in, since I donít have many buildings yet, it will be difficult for operators to know what siding is for what industry! I ended up stealing an idea from a recent visit to Ken McCoreyís layout. (Thanks Ken! All of my good ideas are those Iíve stolen from others! ) I have made these schematics for each area of the railroad that provides information such as industry name, track name or number, direction, switch numbers, etc. Here is a picture of the schematic for Mt. Carmel.

Iíve also been staging the railroad as I continue assembling car kits and putting more cars on the railroad. The staging yard is now filling up with all of the through freights and interchange runs, which are now staged in the upper and lower level staging yards. Here you can see the trains ready to go with car cards set up in their boxes.

All trains in the staging yard are assigned to specific tracks. I have labeled the card boxes with information that will hopefully make it easy for operators to locate their train, or in the case of inbound trains, locate the correct track to place their train.

As you can see, Iíve been spending a lot of time on some Ďextrasí in an effort to make the layout a little more user friendly for visiting operators. At this point, I hope to have a few more informal op sessions in the very near future. The goal will be to start moving cars around the layout, balancing out the waybills and of course proofing track work. If all goes well, who knows, maybe a full blown session? Once I get the layout operating, I plan to turn my attention to scenery, which I have been anxious to start.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  09:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The schematics will work for most people, but I've had some operators who found it hard to map a schematic to the track in front of them. So you may need to cut up some cardboard boxes and get out the black magic marker...

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  09:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark, can't wait to see more,

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  10:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

The schematics will work for most people, but I've had some operators who found it hard to map a schematic to the track in front of them. So you may need to cut up some cardboard boxes and get out the black magic marker...

Mock ups will be going in in the very near future. In some cases, I've even used a yellow pencil and marked out the foot print of the building and written the name inside that. So they are marked, just not as obvious as a building with a sign. But it's a start until I get the layout populated.

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  5:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark - looks great. I may have to borrow you labeling idea for the staging tracks someday. Show us more!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  6:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

When you compare your opening photo to these last few, you can see the great progress that you have made in five and a half years. A lot more than I have.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  9:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Bruce, I go back and look at those pics from the first few pages a lot and I'm amazed! I feel like it has taken forever to get to this point, but it has all been worth it! And while I'm about ready for operations, the real fun will be scenery, which is going to start soon.

Mark

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/27/2015 :  8:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One dump truck load of ballast please!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2015 :  1:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I've posted an update. Iíve been fairly busy working on the layout, although there isnít much visual evidence of that! My focus over the last couple of months has been to get the layout ready for some preliminary operations, which I managed to accomplish.

Over the past couple of months, I finally finished laying track in the last few towns; Nanticoke, Nescopeck, Catawissa, Sunbury and Selinsgrove. The only area that is left to do is Wilkes-Barre, but since that is a branch out of Buttonwood Yard and not critical to operations, I have left that for last.

While most of the sidings are in, most are just laid in place, awaiting final placement once scenes more defined, structures are laid out and final placement is figured. The important part at this stage is to get things running and bring to the surface any operational issues with track work, electrical, equipment, etc.

In addition to laying the rest of the track, I have also installed the rest of the car card boxes in the various switching areas and made up track schematics (maps) for those areas to help operators locate the various businesses.

Iíve also been working on locomotives and rolling stock, and staging the railroad, trying to make sure everything was ready for an initial ops session.

So itís been a lot of little jobs keeping me busy, very little of which is worthy of photographs. But here are some overall shots of the layout as it is today.

First, the usual first view, which is what you see when you first come down the steps and enter the railroad room. On the lower level is Northumberland Yard and on the upper level is Mt. Carmel.

Walking up the aisle brings this into view. On the upper level is Wilkes-Barre, the one area not yet completed. This area is accessed out of Buttonwood Yard and will be a heavy industrial switching area. On the lower level is the Pennsylvania Power and Light company complex in Shamokin Dam, Pa. Out of view to the left is a two track coal yard that feeds this complex. This takes 25 cars of coal per session.

Turning back around to the left brings us to the center aisle, looking down towards Sunbury on the lower level. On the left on the upper level is Shamokin, Pa. on the Shamokin Secondary track and on the right is Buttonwood Yard on the Wilkes-Barre Branch. Below Buttonwood Yard is Hummels Wharf, Pa. on the Selinsgrove Secondary track.

Walking down the center aisle brings this into view. On the lower level is the town of Sunbury, and on the upper level is the Glen Burn complex.

And finally, turning to the right brings the third aisle into view. On the lower level you can see the mainline headed east past South Sunbury and towards Selinsgrove Jct. at the end of the aisle. The mainline continues back into staging at this point, and the Selinsgrove Secondary track comes off the mainline and heads down on the right hand side lower level through Selinsgrove, and then around the end of the peninsula towards Hummels Wharf. On the upper level left hand side is South Danville. Heading down the aisle on the left is Catawissa, Pa., then around the end of the aisle you come into Nescopeck, Pa., and then Nanticoke, Pa. at the end of the peninsula to your right. From here, the branch continues around the end of the peninsula and into Buttonwood Yard.

So that is where I am at this point. Everything is in and running. At least, so I think! It is now time to do what this layout was designed to do. Operate!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2015 :  3:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After six years of building, almost to the day, I gathered a few members of the crew last night for an informal Ďtrialí operating session on the Northern Division. Rick (Harsco), Bruce (SteamNut) and John Rahenkamp came over last night to help me put the layout through its paces and see what problems would surface. My goal was really to first see how the layout ran. I was looking for track issues, electrical problems, issues with rolling stock, etc. Secondly, I had made up all the car cards and waybills, but I wanted to get cars spread around and balance things out. Finally, I wanted to see if the schedule I had created would work. So letís see what would happen.

Here, Bruce is working Buttonwood Yard as Rick rolls in with NB-6, a through freight that runs between Northumberland Yard and Buttonwood Yard. Bruce is checking the consist while Rick waits to run his motive power into the service tracks. We can see John in the back ground beginning to work the PP&L (Pennsylvania Power and Light) plant on the lower level. The tail end of His coal train cah be seen leaving Hummels Wharf on the lower level.

Here is a better view of John working the coal yard at the PP&L plants. This run starts out at the Glen Burn Colliery and brings loads to the plant and brings the empties back up to Glen Burn.

Later on in the session, Bruce was able to break away from running Buttonwood Yard and got to take S-97, the local that serves all towns between Buttonwood and South Danville. Here is Bruce in Catawissa getting ready to set out some cars at Catawissa Valve and Fittings.

Meanwhile, Rick is at the other end of the railroad with S-394, a local that handles interchange traffic with cars for both the Reading in Shamokin and the Lehigh Valley RR in Mt. Carmel. Here we see Rick bringing S-394 into Mt. Carmel where he will work the interchange track, turn his train and head back towards Northumberland Yard.

Here we see John arriving in South Sunbury with S-78, the local that serves South Sunbury, while Bruce is working South Danville, directly above South Sunbury. This is one schedule mishap that I will fix as it is difficult for the operators to work towns above each other. Fortunately, this is an easy fix, but exactly the type of problem that needed to surface before I host a full blown session.

Later on we find John is assigned S-70, the local that switches Selinsgrove, Hummels Wharf and Shamokin Dam, Pa. John is just arriving in Hummels Wharf getting ready to do his work.

Hereís something you wonít see very often on the Northern Division, steam working a through freight! Bruce brought over his new H-10 and wanted to see what it could do, and who am I to say no to Bruce! Here it is with train NB-5, the through freight from Buttonwood Yard entering an arrival track at Northumberland.

So all in all, it went pretty well last night. Because it wasnít a full crew, we didnít make it all the way through the schedule, but we did run a lot of the trains. I kept a Ďhit listí of problems that surfaced and while there were quite a few items, nothing too serious. The layout seemed to perform pretty well and the guys seemed to enjoy themselves. So next is to tackle the issues on the hit list, get Wilkes-Barre installed and operating and get set up for the first REAL op session in the next month or so.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2015 :  3:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You've got your work cut out for you; keep us up to date?

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2015 :  4:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is really looking good, Mark, and like it is ready to roll.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000