Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  1:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome progress Mark!

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pretty impressive, Mark!

That first Ops session is getting closer and closer...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  8:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is Mark! I've already started some fun trial runs of locals, just to check trackwork, etc. Finally, I get to enjoy the railroad!

Mark

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  07:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really great progress on the yard. Did all the installed switches etc check out ok on the testing?

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  08:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Yes it is Mark! I've already started some fun trial runs of locals, just to check trackwork, etc. Finally, I get to enjoy the railroad!

Running some trains, the best part of the hobby.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2014 :  10:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LynnB

Really great progress on the yard. Did all the installed switches etc check out ok on the testing?

I assume you are talking about the switches, and not the machines. For the most part, yes they did. All of the turnouts for the most part are used, either from my old layout and from collections that I purchased them from. Some required some cleaning, but all in all, the yard ladder is working great... for now.

Mark

chrisbconaway
New Hire

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  08:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, I really like the yard panel. I do not think that I have seen one done that way before. It looks very user friendly!
Is it too early to sign up for Northumberland Yard?

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  08:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking tight, Mark....looking forward to seeing some Glen Burn anthracite heading south to Harrisburg!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  10:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Chris, it isn't too early! I'll mark you down. I'll warn you though, it's going to be a busy spot!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  01:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work continues in Northumberland Yard. With the classification yard up and running, it is now time to get the engine facility installed. A few weeks ago, I got a Waltherís 130í DCC turntable, and recently also acquired a couple of the Heljan Roundhouse kits. In addition, I also want to incorporate a three stall engine house I kitbashed for my old layout.

I spent several days laying out various configurations of trackage for the facility, but always came back to the same basic plan, which is shown below. Placement of the turntable became critical as one of my goals is to lay out the roundhouse against the backdrop, creating the illusion that the facility is larger than it really is. In this view, you can see the entrance to the facility from the A&D tracks at the bottom of the picture, The three way turnout leads into the turntable to the left, service tracks straight ahead, and caboose and fuel and sand delivery tracks to the right. Itís a tight fit, but it will work and I think once all of the buildings are in place, it should look really good.

In this view, taken from the other end of the facility, you can see the placement of the turntable in relation to the backdrop. The roundhouse will have 16 stalls. The portion of the roundhouse that will be against the brackdrop will essentially only have the front wall and those tracks will obviously be dummy tracks. I will however still have 11 tracks off the turntable, which will provide more than enough storage for the engines based out of the yard.

With the plan in place, it was time to make sawdust! Bruce came over the other night with an assortment of power tools in hand and after a 40 minute review of my various track arrangements, he concurred that the arrangement I had settled on was the best. With that said, he quickly powered up his rotozip tool and began cutting away. Next thing you know, there is a hole in my yard!

After some additional surgery to the benchwork underneath, the turntable dropped right in! In this view, you can see the engine house in place and the service tracks to the left. In the foreground is the controller for the turntable. I plan to make the engine facility control panel so it will fit in the roof of a support building for the yard in this location.

Today I began the task of installing the service tracks and the approach track to the turntable. With those tracks installed, I had to fire it all up and give it a test spin and all worked well!

With the turntable installed and working, I then laid out the roundhouse tracks and will begin installing those next.

An interesting side note. As I mentioned above, I am using the Heljan roundhouse kits for my roundhouse. While reading the instructions, I come to find out that the model is a reproduction of all things, the actual PRR roundhouse at Northumberland, Pa.! What a pleasant surprise! Now I canít wait to begin building the roundhouse structure and get it into place.

Mark

vzjtothalo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  10:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thumbs up, Mark!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  10:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent, Mark. Wow, a 16 stall round house, even with a few being 'dummy', will be an impressive sight.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  2:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John and Bruce! Today I am laying in all the roundhouse tracks, and will then build a mock up of the roundhouse to see how things will look. Needless to say, it's important that first, this facility be functional, but at the same time I want to create that 'busy' look that Northumberland had, as well as have room to display a few steamers, which Northumberland was famous for.

Mark

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  2:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark, can't wait to see the trains rolling,

Phil

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/26/2014 :  4:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see car cards in the background on that last shot, Mark! I do like the engine house, though. I always thought one was not large enough and doubling it up looked a lot better, proportionally.

Chuck

Page: of 95 Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000