Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  10:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, just caught up with the thread and am very impressed with the work to date. The bridge solution is a work of art. Looks like it was a tight fit getting into the basement?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  11:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Creek

Mark, neat solution to your problem. Just one concern- how are you addressing the errant/ stray foot as the tracks exit out?

Phil, I assume you mean where they exit out of the steps? If that's the case, yes! Similar to the other end of the bridge, there will be another 1x6 with portals cut in. The ends of the 1x4's will be screwed into the 1x6 upright. On the other side will be the roadbed leading onto the layout. The upright 1x6 will provide the support for the ends of the bridge and roadbed, as well as provide a 'transition' between the two types of 'roadbed'. Needless to say, I am a little ways from that part of the project, but I think we have it covered. Keep your fingers crossed!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  11:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulD

Mark,
Great topic and I'm enjoying it immensely. Keep up the eye candy it's nice to know how your getting around all your obstacles. Are you thinking of any valance at this early stage in the design? Looking forward to the helix design.

Dunny

Hey Dunny! Thanks for the kind comments. As for the valence, yes, I've been thinking, but that's about it! I have a few ideas I'm playing with. The 'structure' that will support the valence will also support the lighting for the upper level. This will most likely by supported from the ceiling joists above, but that engineering design is still a work in progress. Stay tuned!

Mark

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  11:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, I understood how you are going to support the end I am more concerned with someone stepping on the track before they turn the corner on the landing. If this was mine I know I would without a doubt step on it as it comes out of the risers even with it being so close to the wall.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  08:25:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So when do I get an invite to check out what 's up? Ya got to give me advance warning though. The commute is a killer. This not being able to drive is making me nuttier than I already am. You'd have to drive me back home. Stop whining. I know it a long drive, but you'll survive.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

As the proud owner of an earlier model, single deck BBB product, I can attest to its strength, durabilty, and ease of installation....looking at Mark's pictures reminded of the day mine was delivered, pre-wired, pre-tracked, ready to drop into place. Nice work as usual, Steam....you're setting the bar even higher for your next feat!

Yea, I have to admit he is gooooooood! I hear he fixes and paints a mean steam engine too!

Edited by - LVRALPH on 07/26/2009 08:35:06 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  11:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Creek

Mark, I understood how you are going to support the end I am more concerned with someone stepping on the track before they turn the corner on the landing. If this was mine I know I would without a doubt step on it as it comes out of the risers even with it being so close to the wall.

Now I understand, and yes, your right! I've already had to catch myself before stepping on it! My plan is to build a shelf unit around it so that the track will actually be enclosed in the unit. There will be a top over it so that no one could step on the track or trains. I'm still working out the details, but your concerns are valid for sure!!!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  11:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

So when do I get an invite to check out what 's up? Ya got to give me advance warning though. The commute is a killer. This not being able to drive is making me nuttier than I already am. You'd have to drive me back home. Stop whining. I know it a long drive, but you'll survive.

RALPH! Good to hear from you! I hear from our mutual friend that you are up and running. Well, maybe not running, but walking well!

Yes, I'll get you over here. Don't be surprised if I appear at your door in the next few days!!!

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress again, guys. I love the pre-fab section that Bruce made for behind the hot water heater. (I glad that I'm not the only one that has to deal with the 'great cylindrical tower'.)

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  11:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark. I'm absolutley thrilled for you! You must be so excited to have your new layout underway. Sorry I hadn't responded earlier as I've been away the month of July and was really busy with school closing in late June. In fact, I just discovered your thread today!!! Awesone and inspiring work from a talented group of buddies you have with you! I'll be watching closely!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments Mike! Yes, I am thrilled. I've been without a layout for nearly two years, and seeing this 'dream layout' slowly becoming a reality is exciting! And to be honest, there is no way I could be making the progress we are making without the help of my friends!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for another update. No trains yet, but we continue to get closer to breaking ground on benchwork!

Another work night has come and gone, and more great progress! Between work nghts I finally got around to applying some spackle to the first wall. This is a picture of the future workbench area with the first coat applied. Iím hoping to get this area done soon so that I can get my workbench installed and get back to doing some modeling!

During a previous work night, Bruce and I installed the cable and sub panel for the electric in the basement. Tonight, RichW showed up to tie it all into the main panel in the garage, so we now have electric!!! All thatís left to do on this project is tying in the circuits in the basement into this panel and thatís done.

Meanwhile, Bruce and Rick were busy framing the side wall of the basement.

I was busy with Rich and working on a few other things so I didnít realize the progress that they were making, but by the end of the night, the entire side wall was done. That means the framing is done! That means its time for sheet rock!!!

This part of the project has gone faster than I imagined, largely thanks to Bruce and Rick. I havenít had much time between work sessions to get anything done, but when these guys show up, look out! Thanks to their efforts, benchwork is in my near future!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  2:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's been a while since I've updated this thread, but I have accomplished a lot and a layout is in near my future.

What isn't evident in these pictures is a lot of small jobs that I've finished. For the most part, all of the electrical is done. The sub-panel is hooked up and all the basement circuits are in and working! That includes installing the dedicated layout circuit with a double pole wall switch in the closet. I also ran a line for that switched circuit to the landing on the steps where I will install an outlet on the shelf for a lighted RR lantern. When this is lit, this will be my signal that the layout power is still on!

Bruce and I also installed the old fluorescent lights from the old layout on the ceiling of the basement. I had kept these but have since decided I will not be using them on the new layout. Desperately needing lighting in the basement, I figured I might as well use them to provide the much needed construction lighting we need. Boy, what a difference that made! Once the drop ceiling grid is in place and we have adequate room lighting from the layout, we will place the drop panels in the ceiling and switch the fluorescent lights off. I will just leave them up there and they will be there if ever needed.

Iíve also finished the first wall by applying a second and third coat of spackle and wet sanded it. That is now ready for primer.

Last night Bruce showed up and we bought 16 sheets of sheetrock and hung 14 of them! A good nights effort! The only area left to frame and rock is the header area over where the helix will be. What a difference the sheetrock makes. Itís starting to feel like another room in the house, not a basement! I am still debating whether to carpet the entire floor or just paint it for now and get carpet runners later.

So here are some shots of what the basement looks like now. The first shot is what you see when you first come down the stairs and turn slightly to the right. Still a lot of stuff in our way, but most of it is railroad related. Once the walls are done, shelving will be placed around the walls and most of this unpacked and readied for placement on the layout

Turning further to your right, this is the aisle with the future Northumberland Yard to your left and the storage room wall and workbench area to the right. The support columns will define one of the peninsulas.

Walking down that ailse and turning around back towards the steps, we can see the closet that hides the water pipes is closed in. To the right is the opening that will contain the helix. We still have to frame in and sheetrock the header above where the helix will be.

This shot is from the other end of the basement where the helix will be and looking back across the basement. If you compare this shot to a similar one on page 1 of this thread, our progress is evident!

And then finally, this is the workbench area which is ready for painting. All the electric here is hooked up and ready to go.

So the next phase of the project is to spackle the rest of the sheetrock and get a coat or two of primer on the walls. Once this is done, I will begin painting the floor around the walls, setting the shelving in place and clearing the center of the basement. Benchwork is coming soon!!!

Mark

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  3:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Mark,, Sorry I missed the fun,,

Cheers!, Joe

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  4:55:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Mark. You've gotten a lot done in a short period of time.

As you think, so will you be.

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000