Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Erie & Pittsburgh Line Construction (n scale) Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine
Page: of 97

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  10:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
The flow of the tracks in the yard looks very nice. Should be a great yard to operate!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

LynnB
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  05:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That yard is huge. I can see the engine facility area is going to look great already.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2014 :  9:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy and Lynn! I'm looking forward to getting the yard operating. The next step is to install the switch machines in the yard ladder, then hook it all up through a matrix which will be controlled by a rotary switch. When done, all the operator needs to do is select the track and the machines will align to the correct classification track. Its slowly coming together. Work keeps interfering with my time though.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 09/29/2014 9:02:53 PM

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2014 :  8:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Got some wet fall weather moving into the Keystone, should allow some good layout time?

What kind of rotary switch will you be using?

Bob

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  01:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bob! Yes, it is that time of year when we can retire to the basement and not feel guilty about wasting a beautiful day outside!

I used a 12 position, 3 pole rotary switch. The third pole is for the indicator lights on the panel that show which track is selected. I just finished getting everything put together and working, so the yard is now fully operational! I have to post some pictures of the finished panel which I will do in the next day or two.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  8:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I left off a few weeks ago saying that I was in the process of getting Northumberland Yard up and running. Well, that is finally done! The first step was the installation of the 18 switch machines in the yard, and thank goodness we have Bruce in the area as he makes the process look simple! He managed to have them all installed in one night. The man is an animal! Here he is underneath Northumberland Yard installing one of the machines.

Once the machines were installed, the rest was up to me. I had decided that I wanted to control the yard throat with a diode matrix and rotary switch. First I had to figure out the logic of the diode matrix, then build the matrix, install the matrix and make sure it all worked. Surprisingly, It worked the first time! Here is a shot of the diode matrix board mounted underneath the yard.

Once I had the machines working, it was time to build the operators desk and control panel for the yard. I installed the desk and then built the control panel to control everything. I made the panel artwork using Paint on my home computer, printed it out, laminated the page and mounted it to a piece of masonite. I then mounted the hardware and LEDís. The panel has indicator lights that indicate the position of the various turnouts, as well as the track selected with the rotary switch.

The completed operatorís desk! I hope this will provide for a good work area for what I imagine will be a very busy spot on the railroad. Surrounding the control panel are 12 card boxes, one for each classification track, that hold the cards for cars classified in the yard. Each box is labled to show a train and areas served by that train to assist the operator in determining on to which track to spot the car.

Northumberland will have two operators; a yard master and the yard operator. The yard operator will be a seated position at this desk whose primary responsibility will be the classification of all inbound traffic as well as setting out the outbound blocks onto the departure tracks. The Yardmaster will act as the hostler, as well as coordinate all inbound traffic into and outbound traffic out of the yard.

So today, after cleaning all the tracks, I continued putting more rolling stock on the layout and began the process of assigning car cards and waybills. I then classified those cars, putting the yard through its paces, and having some fun at the same time! I am pleased to report that all went well and the yard, switch matrix, etc., all performed well! I ended up making up several trains that are now ready to head out!

Yes, itís getting to that time for some trial runs! Next project will be the engine facility and installing the turntable.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 10/15/2014 8:38:39 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  9:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an outstanding yard, control panel and matrix...very nice and fascinating.......

Ted

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2014 :  10:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course he shows me putting in one of the easy ones!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  12:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ted!

quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Of course he shows me putting in one of the easy ones!

I was too busy instructing you on how to install the hard ones to take pictures!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  05:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Great progress. Could you offer more detail on how you laminate the computer drawing on the panel?

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  08:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice looking operator's desk, Mark. Very functional.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  08:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a beautiful yard and an impressive operator's desk, Mark.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  09:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the route controlled functionality, Mark. I've used it in several places on my layout to avoid switching errors. You used a different circuit than I did. The desk area looks like a nice area to work. Nicely organized. I hope it stays that way during an ops session!

Chuck

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  09:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. People have told me I have pretty control panels, but yours are much nicer. Of course, your yard is bigger and you have more space, but nevertheless.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  10:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the nice complements guys!

Ralph, the laminating sheets are made by 3M. I think I bought them at Staples. There are 25 to a box and are the 'cold laminating' sheets, meaning you don't need a laminating machine for them. They have adhesive on one side. So once you print out your artwork on standard 8 1/2 x 11 paper, you place it face down on the laminating sheet and presto! I used this same method on Harsco's panels and really like the way they came out. Not only does it look good, but it lasts and takes the abuse.

Mark

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Erie & Pittsburgh Line Construction (n scale) Topic Next Topic: looking for switch machine  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000