Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 75 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/11/2014 :  8:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Mark....very intuitive!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2014 :  12:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George and Rick! That was the idea, keep it simple and intuitive.

Mark

vzjtothalo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That SteamNut......I suppose that if one has a 1/4" scale locomotive to build, one would need a lathe......:O

SNCF_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  12:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Great work on your layout and the progress you have accomplished over the last few months. I’d like to back up for a moment though and ask about the finishing of the two tracks going through the stairs into the staging area. Back in late Jan, thread page 47, you showed your then progress to date and indicated you would be installing a curved styrene backdrop. I also presume you would put some sort of “shield” to protect the trackage and trains from potential impact and excessive dust contamination. Any chance that is done yet and could we see a photo? One of the reasons I ask is it is always interesting to see how the layout is “integrated” into the room and more intrusive elements of the house infrastructure and I might have a similar situation of my own if I am able to build a layout in my current house.

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

Carl

carl.lindon@videotron.ca
Gatineau, Quebec.

SNCF_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  12:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Ken,

The foamcore building mock-ups are indispensable for evaluating the track and structure plan and are perhaps most critical in evaluating switching areas. The 3-dimensional character of the mock-ups helps evaluate not only the track plan but the overall impression of the “scene” and also whether or not you can reach into a scene to throw manual switches and manually uncouple cars (or where remote controlled switches are essential and where to locate magnetic uncoupling ramps). Additionally, mock-ups can often serve as “stand-ins” until the final detailed model is finished and added to the layout. To make the mock-ups even more useful take the time to photocopy the main wall and roof sections and then adhere these photocopies to the foam core before assembling the mock-ups. Remember to cut out the window sections once the photocopies are adhered to the foamcore. I’ve done this several times although more specifically as part of the “planning” for some larger kit-bashing projects I am working on (large power plant and an industrial fabrication complex). The reason I recommend cutting out the window areas is because once placed on the layout the mock-ups’ open window areas show how much of the building interior will be visible and gives you an ideas as to what interior areas need detailing and how much interior detailing will be necessary. If you get really keen interior floors with a few basic shapes in the interior will help you envision the final building “presentation”.

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

carl.lindon@videotron.ca
Gatineau, Quebec.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2014 :  10:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl! Thanks for checking in.

With regard to the area around the steps, I have not installed the backdrop in this area yet. The top shelf is now finished and painted to match the trim work in the basement, giving it the appearance of a built in shelf. The two levels that hold the track do have the fascia in place, but no other plexiglass at this point. I will most likely install that in the future, but I am focusing on getting things running first. I will post some pics of the area in the next day or two as it is now so you can get a better idea of what I did and perhaps get some ideas for yourself.

With regard to the mockups, I think that is an excellent idea and do plan to utilize mockups. Harsco did this on his layout and it worked out really well. In fact, a few of his 'mockups' which look almost as good as a finished building are still in place! It can be a quick and easy way to populate the layout, and as you mentioned, provides an inexpensive way to experiment with building size and placement.

Thanks for your comments!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  10:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Carl, and anyone else who might be interested, as promised, here are some pictures of the area around the steps as it is today, along with an explanation as to what I did and why.

As I explained previously in this thread, my staging yard is located in a separate room in the basement. The ‘west’ end of the railroad makes its appearance from the staging yard by coming through the steps and around the landing in the basement. When I was planning the basement and railroad, I wanted to give a nice finished appearance to the entire railroad, including this area in the basement. Looking back through this thread, you can see how this area evolved. The steps leading into the basement will become my ‘showcase’ of collectables so I wanted it to look nice as well.

So, when planning the piece of benchwork that was to carry the track from through the steps, around the landing and onto the layout, I wanted the finished product to look something like a built in bookshelf. As was shown, I started with ¾” plywood and cut it so it would fit into the corner, wide enough to carry a single track along the wall, around the corner and down the other wall onto the layout. It should appear to be a finished extension of the layout that runs through a bookshelf.

This first picture shows how it looks today. As of this point, I have not installed the backdrop yet nor the plexiglass front, which I will install later. The layout is just out of view to the right, but here you can see the fascia on the lower level, upper level and the valence on the top that continues from the layout and around the steps.

This picture shows the tracks on both levels as they emerge from the steps and onto their respective shelves. I made a couple of ‘tunnel boxes’ and painted the interior black. This area will have a side panel that will cover it, hiding the holes in the steps and providing a ‘wall’ that the trains will pass through coming onto the finished portion of the layout.

This is the same view, this time with part of the side panel in place. This panel is actually a mock up made with foam core, but eventually this panel will be made from Masonite and cover the entire section from the top shelf to the landing floor and be painted the same color as the top shelf and trim work.

In the next picture, you can see the top shelf which is used to display various items. Notice that the shelf is trimmed and painted to match the rest of the trim in the basement, giving it that built in look.

This picture shows the end of the shelf as it blends into the steps.

And the other end of the shelf where it meets the layout. Note how the valence blends into the valence on the layout.

Since I am now focused on getting the railroad operating, I won’t be doing anymore work on this area until later on. Right now, it looks good enough! I hope this was helpful.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 09/30/2014 7:35:26 PM

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  07:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, really looking good!

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  3:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pretty sharp, Mark!

Does the track on the stairs ever seem like an obstacle to going up and down?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2014 :  9:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe and Mark.

Mark, no, not at all. The shelf is about 4" wide and really does not impede on the steps. In fact, it has been suggested and I've been pondering adding plexiglass to the front to protect the trains as they traverse this section, but quite frankly, aside from someone intentionally kicking the trains, it would be almost impossible to hit the trains while walking up or down the steps.

Mark

SNCF_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  11:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Things have definitely come along nicely and the upper shelf and sloping face certainly meet your requirement of having a nice finished appearance. My query about using plexiglas to close in the front of these curves was not so much for impact protection, although people have been known to slip on stairs and drop things that are being carried, but more to keep dust, grit and any other potential debris off the tracks. The lower level track is at “floor level” for quite a distance and even the upper track is at or close to floor level for several feet. For me that is an uncomfortable level of exposure to the dust, grits and hairballs that cannot be totally eliminated even when the area is diligently cleaned or vacuumed on a regular and frequent basis.

The updated photos are much appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

carl.lindon@videotron.ca
Gatineau, Quebec.

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  11:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking nice Mark!

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  1:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for those photos, Mark. Very nice!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  8:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Points well made Carl. I haven't made up my mind yet, although there are more pressing issues at hand before I make that decision, like getting the railroad operating! I'm under a lot of pressure from the locals here!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2014 :  9:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bet the pressure really is mounting, Mark, for operations. After hearing about a few more fallen flags in the South Jersey Operations group, there has got to be more pressure on you to fill the void.

Chuck

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Carrie Creek Land Co. construction series Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000