Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 86 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  2:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,congratulations to that milestone,too...Keep up the fantastic work and letīs see some scenery,too...

Regards,Chris

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  9:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Mark. When is the 1st ops session?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  9:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Mark.
Congratulations.

As you think, so will you be.

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  10:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats Mark! As Bob said, when's the first Ops session?

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  12:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! And yes, it's a great feeling!

Bill, you are correct. While it is tempting to start some scenery, I plan to continue on the path towards operations. That is a mistake I made on my previous layout that I won't make this time; starting scenery, ballast, etc., before proofing the layout. I know there will be changes, refinements, tweaking, etc. Lord knows, there is plenty to keep me busy.

I'm almost afraid to predict the 'first ops session' as things always seem to take longer than I anticipate, but I do hope we will be in some state of operations by the end of summer. But for the time being, I play here and there, running an engine, moving some cars and trying to bring some of the issues to the surface. But as those who have operating layouts know, it isn't until that first full ops session do the real gremlins show their ugly colors!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 07/11/2014 12:27:46 AM

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  12:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Thanks guys! And yes, it's a great feeling!

Bill, you are correct. While it is tempting to start some scenery, I plan to continue on the path towards operations. That is a mistake I made on my previous layout that I won't make this time; starting scenery, ballast, etc., before proofing the layout. I know there will be changes, refinements, tweaking, etc. Lord knows, there is plenty to keep me busy.

I'm almost afraid to predict the 'first ops session' as things always seem to take longer than I anticipate, but I do hope we will be in some state of operations by the end of summer. But for the time being, I play here and there, running an engine, moving some cars and trying to bring some of the issues to the surface. But as those who have operating layouts know, it isn't until that first full ops session do the real gremlins show their ugly colors!

It will take a number of sessions to get the kinks worked out. Put some scratch pads in one location with plenty of pencils and tell the crew to write down what needs to be fixed adjusted blown up or thrown away !!! It took my rr about a year to calm down when first operated. There will be some big changes coming to my Buffalo line in 2015 so I will have to start over again when ops resume again. -- Ken

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  05:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations buddy. I thought I heard a big whoo hoo out the window.

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  06:20:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good for you, Mark!

Hard to believe it's been five years since you started the layout!

So I guess I should start planning my next trip back to NJ for late this summer...

Edited by - Brunton on 07/11/2014 06:23:34 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  07:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congatulations, Mark!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  07:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This was a long time coming, Mark! Congratulations!

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again guys!

quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

It will take a number of sessions to get the kinks worked out. Put some scratch pads in one location with plenty of pencils and tell the crew to write down what needs to be fixed adjusted blown up or thrown away !!! It took my rr about a year to calm down when first operated. There will be some big changes coming to my Buffalo line in 2015 so I will have to start over again when ops resume again. -- Ken

Some good food for thought Ken. Yes, that's exactly what I expect - lot's of changes as the ops get going. I've noticed over the years that when someone builds a layout, while they may do a great job planning the operation, but in reality, the layout dictates back how things will work!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  10:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I sent you a PM.

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  11:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Mark, that's a great milestone to check off your list!

Al Carter

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  9:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news. Being able to sit back and just watch some trains will also help with staying engaged in the layout.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  10:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Al and Bob!

Mark

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000