Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: RobertT ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  2:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick said it all and I can attest first hand to how well his layout runs! I plan to do the same thing on mine. Needless to say, if you don't run for long periods of time, and dust begins to acculate, I would imagine a good vacuming would be the best remedy as theorectically, the CRC coating should remain on the rails and simply might be covered by the dust.

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  9:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A special guest appearance from Mr. Harsco himself!

Very good information gentlemen. Trains the run smoothly really can make or break a layout, as much of a pain it can be cleaning and treating track it will payoff in the long run.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  12:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used the Atlas vacuum cars for a number of years with great results. Amazed at how much dust they pick up. The only weak point of teh car is the truck to body electrical pickup method which are spring loaded contacts. You have to keep them clean or they will fail. Other option is to hard wire them using some super flex wire. Great for getting into tight spots in steel mills and industrial trackage.
------------- ken

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  11:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, very interesting. I had heard of that car but was skeptical. I do like the idea of a vacuum car though as I think dust can be the biggest culprit sometimes.

Mark

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  12:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How does the CRC 2-26 affect traction? Mark, I know you have a helix. I have N scale. I tried the carpenter pencil thing, but it did not work for me. It reduced traction too much on my grades, and seemed more like dirt than a conductivity enhancement. I do have an electronic track cleaner box on my regular DC powered layout that might have affected the carpenter pencil graphite. I think a lot of the people that use the carpenter pencil or graphite are in On30 and have the heavy locomotives and no grades. My grades are steep and I have to use two four axle diesels to haul any trains.
L&N nut
Jon

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  12:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, sounds like an opportune time to test the CRC method on the vacuum car pickup!

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  2:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if the 2-26 would help the Atlas contacts. When this car is out working on the rr it gets dirty fast !! I use an old A-B set of Hobbytown multi drives as my track cleaning train power. The vacuum car is lead out in front of the power. When done I have to clean off the body shells as they are covered in dust and ground up ballast and ground foam !! The spring loaded contacts get loaded with dirt in the springs and that seems to heat them up causing the springs to loose their springiness !!! Vacuum car is decoder equipted and I run it at half speed . Train runs at about 10 mph for best cleaning effect. Both of mine still have the spring loaded contacts as I keep an eye on them for cleanliness. Others in this area have had the spring failure problems and the flex wire fix. ---- Ken

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 06/29/2014 :  2:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark if you want to see the car in action stop up sometime and I'll let you run one around.
---------- Ken

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  7:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LandNnut

How does the CRC 2-26 affect traction?

Hey Jon! A little goes a long way. You want to apply it sparingly. Remember, you are simply coating the rails and then letting it dry for 24 hours. It really shouldn't affect traction too much. I haven't had any issues with traction at all. If you do, you applied too much. I simply spray some on a block of homasoate and rub it along the rails.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  7:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Mark if you want to see the car in action stop up sometime and I'll let you run one around.
---------- Ken

One of these days Ken I'm going to make it up to your place. We have many mutual friends that have operated on your layout. Due to my crazy work schedule, I have missed your open houses, but one of these days...

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 06/30/2014 :  10:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark doesn't have to be an open house to see the rr. --- Ken

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  11:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No pictures this update, but big news. It's been over 5 years since I started the layout, but I finally made it! Last night, I laid the last piece of track to complete the Wilkes-Barre branch, completing all mainline and branch line trackage, finishing the 'loop'. This gives me the ability to run completely around both levels continuously and after dropping a few feeders and hooking things up, I ran the first train completely around the entire railroad last night! What a thrill it was to finally hit that goal!

There is still a lot to do before I can get operating though. I have to finish track work in Northumberland Yard, and get that wired up. I have to finish the various sidings and switching areas as well.

Steamnut came over last night to help with a few things. We finished mounting all the mainline switch machines. I am still waiting for the buttons that I ordered from Mouser Electronics to come in, so even though the switch machines are installed, I can't control them yet.

I'm also continuing track cleaning. In anticipation of completing the 'loop', I went in and cleaned the helix. Next I will do all the mainlines, treating everything with CRC as I go. What a difference this makes!

So who knows, with the railroad running now, maybe I'll get my hands dirty with some scenery in the near future!

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  11:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

No pictures this update, but big news. It's been over 5 years since I started the layout, but I finally made it! Last night, I laid the last piece of track to complete the Wilkes-Barre branch, completing all mainline and branch line trackage, finishing the 'loop'. This gives me the ability to run completely around both levels continuously and after dropping a few feeders and hooking things up, I ran the first train completely around the entire railroad last night! What a thrill it was to finally hit that goal!

Yea!

The main is finished - when is the golden spike ceremony? It is a great feeling to reach this point, now push on towards ops. Go Mark go!

Eric

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  12:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Way to go Mark!!!!! Isn't it a joy to finally reach that milestone? When's the golden spike ceremony? Now that you can run on both levels, NOW is the time to shake out the bugs and run some operating sessions. Don't wait for the scenery. You may find that you need to change a track or two here and there. It is easier to change track now then when scenery is in. SO, Congratulations Mark!!! Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  1:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats, Mark...after all the blood, sweat, and tears, it's finally happened!

Page: of 95 Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000