Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: drailz22 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  10:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brunton

Looking good, Mark!

Got that first ops session scheduled yet?

I'll be in New Jersey late next week and into the weekend (hint, hint!)...

Hey Mark. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I'm not quite there yet, nor do I think I'll be ready in the next few weeks. Soon though!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  12:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! A lot of progress Mark! I bet these staging yards will be very helpful in operations for sure. Nice work Mark.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  2:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill! Yes, Of the 18 tracks, I have 15 of them allocated towards scheduled runs of through freights and interchange runs. Moves a lot of traffic through the railroad!

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  2:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy, Mark, you are making great progress. I really enjoy all the photo updates! I'm always envious of people that handlay their track. It always looks so nice and flowing!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  01:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, thank you for your kind comments, but take another look. Handlaid track? While I too admire those who handlay track, not me. I have enough trouble with the prefab stuff! Unless you are referring to that shot a couple of pages back, which is a section I inherited and had to graft into. But thank you anyway.

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  9:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, that was it, Mark. I didn't look close enough at the rest of the track pics!! Just chalk it up to tired old eyes!! But I still love your trackwork

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2014 :  09:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy. I enjoy laying track, and fortunately I'm on the home stretch. Your thread has me inspired to start some scenery, but I'm trying to resist the temptation as I want to finish trackwork first.

Here's a little bit of an update. Since finishing the staging yard, and quickly approaching completing trackwork, I decided now would be a good time to start track cleaning. Naturally, while it's empty, I'm starting in the staging yard. Bright boy, then alchohol and then a coating of CRC. I'll spend a lot of time over the next few weeks working my way around the railroad, and I do that as time allows in the evenings or mornings if I'm working late.

In addition, I'm finishing the last few feet of fasica that goes around the transition area around the steps. I should have this done this week. And finally, switch machines. I have to run more buss wires around the layout for switch machine power so we can finish installing them.

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  05:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

How are you applying the CRC. I just picked some up.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  09:28:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ralph! I made a couple of small blocks of homasoate that I cut that are about 1 1/2" square. I simply spray the CRC on the block and wipe it along the rail. Make sure you do a manageable area, then let it sit and dry overnight before you run anything on it.

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea,

Which CRC product are you using (pre apology if i was lazy and missed that on a previous thread)

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, we use CRC 2-26. It is basically and electronic contact cleaner, among other things. We've been experimenting with it over the years, particularly on Harsco's layout and found that it 'seals' the rail, minimizing oxidation. Of course, a good cleaning first, then apply the CRC.

Mark

MikeMc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  2:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeMc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on CRC Mark. I picked up a can a whil eback and was waiting to use it. Your instructions on cleaning first and then applying via Homasote are great. Now it looks like I have track cleaning/coating on the to-do list!

Mike Mc.
Delran, NJ

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  02:11:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your welcome Mike! I'm definitely sold on this process. As you may know, several layout owners in the area use this technique, including forum member Rick (Harsco) who experimented with this on his layout. After over two years of running, it still amazes me how he has absolutely no contact problems.

One other note about this technique for those who might be following along. I know many of us may wipe our finger on the rail head to see if the track is 'dirty'. You will find after applying the CRC that you may see this 'black film' on the rail head and think the track is dirty. In fact, this is a conductive protective film that the CRC leaves on the railhead that minimizes oxidation. What Rick found is to apply the CRC, let it dry as per the instructions, and then let it do it's job! Do not wipe off the rails after applying this.

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  10:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
Some of us don't operate real regularly and also have a dust problem. Do you know how CRC effects the problem of dust, makes it better, makes it worse or no effective change dealing with the dust problem? And before some smart A** tells me that running the trains more will fix this problem, I'm well aware of that and look forward to that day!!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2014 :  11:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, I run every other month, typically don't run anything in between sessions, and the dust factor hasn't been an issue for me. As Mark mentioned, I've been conducting a long term trial on my layout and it's now been two years and six months since the initial application. Expanding a bit on Mark's explanation, here's the sequence that I use:

1. Bright Boy the track to remove any paint or other hard-to-remove contaminants.
2. Wipe each rail with 90% isopropyl alcohol (avoid the 70% version because it contains too much water). I wrap a rag around one finger, dip it in alcohol, and run it down each rail.
3. Apply CRC 2-26 to a hard rubber eraser, then wipe it on the rails until you feel the eraser start to grab because it's dry. Re-spritz and continue wiping it out as far as it can go.
4. Let the CRC dry for at least two hours before running any trains.

The process sounds rather involved and cumbersome, but actually goes pretty fast...I can typically clean and coat a twenty foot section of double track in less than five minutes.

Additional Notes:
- In order to achieve a uniform coating and prevent oxidation, you need to apply CRC to all of the rail, not just portions of it...sidings, mainline, staging tracks.

- As Mark stated, do not mistake a dark substance on your finger as the rail being dirty - that's the CRC coating coming up.

- I noticed a marked improvement in loco performance (especially sound equipped ones) if CRC is applied to the loco wheels after cleaning; I just spritz a little on a micro-brush and gently wipe the contacting surfaces, including any wipers. Let it dry two hours before running.

- If you've put down any scenery or ballast, then the track will need to be re-cleaned and re-coated, regardless of when it was last done or how careful you think you were; water, glue, and alcohol compromises the CRC coating, exposing the rail to oxidation.

- Turnout contact problems can often be solved by cleaning and coating the points and stock rail; again, I usually use a micro-brush.

There are no doubt variations to the above procedure that others have tried and found equally good; this is just the method I employed and have been very satisfied with.

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000