Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: Bluegill ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  6:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Good idea with the backdrop photos, Mark. It's not like you can go to Wilkes-Barre and photograph the real thing, since a lot of what was there is gone.

Chuck

You are so right Chuck! I've been there and seen it first hand. In fact, I stood where Buttonwood Yard used to be and all that is left is a single track and a sign that says "Buttonwood"! The backdrops look 'close enough' to what I suspect it may have looked like.

Mark

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  08:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark - Belated thanks for your vertical dimensions on the decks and fascia/valence... will be very useful for me as I adjust my single deck benchwork to accomodate a second level... will just need to tweak your dims by 1-2 inches due to my lower ceiling... thanks.

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  09:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some how I knew my name would come up after someone said "Tortoise Machine" and "install" in the same sentence!!!!!!!!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  10:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Some how I knew my name would come up after someone said "Tortoise Machine" and "install" in the same sentence!!!!!!!!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  05:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  09:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LVRALPH

Looking good!

Thanks Ralph!

Mark

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  11:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
those photobackdrops are looking great...
and also is your progress....keep it going,

Regards,Chris

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2014 :  10:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Chris!

Mark

MikeMc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  4:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeMc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking great Mark. Really tremendous progress. Looks like you are getting to some of the really fun stuff, with planning sidings, structures, scenery, backdrops. operations. Years of hard work paying off!!

I use the LARC backdrop CDs also and I agree they are really worth it.

Mike Mc.
Delran, NJ

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  5:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. Yes, it is paying off. In fact today I just finished all trackwork in the town of Mt. Carmel, which completes the Shamokin Branch and connects the upper level 'south end' to the staging yard. I'm not making my way back around installing the various spurs, albeit most will just be laying there in approximate locations until I further define each area with building mockups, etc. The focus right now is to install those spur tracks so we can get operating!

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  8:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Vagel, I have a secret weapon in my arsenal. His name is SteamNut! He's a wizard at stuff like that!

Well, if I'm allowed to have a skilled wood worker in MY arsenal, I guess I'll have to allow you to have a Tortoise wiz in yours ... but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  12:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s been a pretty productive couple of weeks! As much fun as it has been to cut out backdrops and place them around the layout, I had to get back to making progress towards getting things running.

I resumed my work on the Shamokin Branch and made the final connection from Mt. Carmel to the upper level staging yard and laid out the businesses that will be switched in Mt. Carmel. On the prototype, PRR trackage ended in Mt. Carmel and made a connection with the Lehigh Valley Railroad.

In the photo below, you can see the PRR trackage entering Mt. Carmel in the bottom right. The tracks to the left are the LVRR Interchange tracks, whereas the spurs to the right are the few businesses that were served by the PRR in Mt. Carmel.

The second photo gives a better view of the business side of Mt. Carmel, now to the left and the LVRR tracks in the foreground. The branch heads westward towards Sunbury from here in the upper right portion of the photo.

The other big accomplishment was finishing the staging yard! I had completed the lower level some time ago, but hadn’t really done much with the upper level until recently. Over the past week, I finished laying the track and wired the upper level, finishing all 18 staging tracks, 12 on the lower level, 6 on the upper level. I also installed the car card boxes, which you can see on the upper level midway down, and then also installed the fascia. In this view, we are looking ‘west’ where trains on the lower level are heading onto the railroad to the left and are coming from Harrisburg, and on the upper level, entering Wilkes-Barre from the D&H Wilkes-Barre Connecting Railroad.

In this view of the staging area, looking towards the other end, you can see where the staging yard narrows down to go behind the hot water heater, over the double deck ‘Barrett Bridge’, through the steps and onto the layout.

While I still have to install switch machines in the staging yard, I can call this area done for now as it is operational with machines for the time being.

Things are definitely starting to come together. I still have to finish trackage on the Wilkes-Barre branch, which is next.

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  12:25:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

It’s been a pretty productive couple of weeks!

The other big accomplishment was finishing the staging yard! I had completed the lower level some time ago, but hadn’t really done much with the upper level until recently. Over the past week, I finished laying the track and wired the upper level, finishing all 18 staging tracks, 12 on the lower level, 6 on the upper level. I also installed the car card boxes, which you can see on the upper level midway down, and then also installed the fascia. In this view, we are looking ‘west’ where trains on the lower level are heading onto the railroad to the left and are coming from Harrisburg, and on the upper level, entering Wilkes-Barre from the D&H Wilkes-Barre Connecting Railroad.

In this view of the staging area, looking towards the other end, you can see where the staging yard narrows down to go behind the hot water heater, over the double deck ‘Barrett Bridge’, through the steps and onto the layout.

While I still have to install switch machines in the staging yard, I can call this area done for now as it is operational with machines for the time being.

Things are definitely starting to come together. I still have to finish trackage on the Wilkes-Barre branch, which is next.

Not sure what inspired you, but we would like you to share!

What is your final plan for the staging yards? Are you going to scenic / blend them in or leave them as "back stage"?

Eric

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  06:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Mark!

Got that first ops session scheduled yet?

I'll be in New Jersey late next week and into the weekend (hint, hint!)...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  10:05:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlwrailfan1

What is your final plan for the staging yards? Are you going to scenic / blend them in or leave them as "back stage"?

Eric

No Eric, what you see here is what you get. No scenery, just track. This is actually in a separate room, walled off from the rest of the basement. So this is as 'back stage' as one can get!

Mark

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000