Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  06:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, that looks like a great space. Very nice.

Joe <><

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  07:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, that latest update with explanations gives us a great idea of the scope of your layout and your progress to date. Very nice!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  10:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments guys!

quote:
Originally posted by BandO Boy

... curious what the heights are of your two decks and the dimensions of the fascia/valence... thanks... look forward to more.

Jim;

Good question! I guess I never documented that, and funny thing, I did a lot of research and trial and error to determine what I felt were good heights.

The lower level is 41" off the floor, and the second level is 60" off the floor. The valence is 8" down from the ceiling, and the fascia is 6", allowing 14" between lower and upper deck and 14" between upper deck and valence.

Another local layout is double deck and I had been operating on that layout one night and realized I really liked the heights of his decks, so took measurements and went from there.

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  5:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good info mark.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  11:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is just a huge undertaking you've got going there. I must admit I would be intimidated on the one hand and so excited on the other to do what you have accomplished. The whole thing is really starting to look like a railroad. Just reading the entire thread I'm sure does not really do all the hard work justice.

Bill

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  10:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both Bob and Bill!

quote:
Originally posted by hokie_tech

That is just a huge undertaking you've got going there. I must admit I would be intimidated on the one hand and so excited on the other to do what you have accomplished.

Bill, you are correct! I always thought 'the bigger the better'. Now that it's here, there are those times I look it over and think to myself 'what have I gotten myself into here!'

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  12:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your layout with the fascia, valence, and lighting presents a very nice image to look at and it will really show off your trains well once some scenery is added. Nice job!

Al Carter

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  8:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Al! It's been a long road to get to this point, but I am very happy I took the extra time to do the little extras to make the overall presentation that much better. Just a little more trackwork and I'll be up and running. Then the real fun begins with scenery!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  7:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Post the picture of Wilkes-Barre that you sent me the other day....it's a great teaser shot of what's to come!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/28/2014 :  11:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Rick!

As if I donít have enough projects on the burner right now, I began another one! I recently purchased a disc of photo backdrops and printed some out to play with. These are great photos of various scenes, buildings, etc., and print out onto several 8 ĹĒx 11Ē paper. You can resize them if you wish, and if you are really good, you can play photo-edit tricks with them to blend them together. From there, you print them out, trim them up and splice them together to form one long continuous photo backdrop.

I started printing some out recently, cut and spliced the first few together and couldnít resist the urge to start placing them around the layout to see how they looked.

Since Buttonwood Yard will rely heavily on a detailed backdrop as there is really no room behind the yard for any type of 3D scenery, I decided to start there. I cut out the backdrops I envisioned would work best there and put them into place to see how they would work. Here is the result.

This first shot shows Buttonwood Yard with one of the photo backdrops just put in place. I havenít glued in to the backdrop yet as I want to move them around and find the perfect spot first, but I was anxious to see the result.

I was anxious to see what a low level view looked like. Itís amazing what you can do with these photo backdrops!

Cutting these out can be a tedious process, especially where there are trees in the picture, but it makes for a great night time project in front of the TV. All I need now is a big box of sharp xacto blades!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 05/28/2014 11:05:13 AM

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  1:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just checking up after a few months inactivity, Mark. That photo-backdrop looks like a winner. I hope you have as much "fun" as I had installing those Tortoise machines

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  1:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, that photo backdrop behind your yard looks terrific! It really adds some depth. If I may ask, you said you purchased a disc with backdrop images - from where? I'd like to see more of what is offered...

Al Carter

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  1:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good idea with the backdrop photos, Mark. It's not like you can go to Wilkes-Barre and photograph the real thing, since a lot of what was there is gone.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  6:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

Just checking up after a few months inactivity, Mark. That photo-backdrop looks like a winner. I hope you have as much "fun" as I had installing those Tortoise machines

Vagel, I have a secret weapon in my arsenal. His name is SteamNut! He's a wizard at stuff like that!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  6:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tabooma County Rwy

Mark, that photo backdrop behind your yard looks terrific! It really adds some depth. If I may ask, you said you purchased a disc with backdrop images - from where? I'd like to see more of what is offered...

Al Carter

Al, the backdrops I got are from Larc Products. Here is their link....

http://www.larcproducts.com/railroadgraphicscd.html

They currently have 5 volumes and in my opinion are well worth the money, considering everything you get!

Mark

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000