Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 94

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  10:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress on the layout, and, yes it's just a great thing to get trains operating, isn't it!?

Vagel

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  10:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is. Thanks Vagel! In fact, I finally had the 'ah hah' moment I've needed to move forward on the Wilkes-Barre branch. Yesterday I set out trying to lay out the branch. Previously, nothing I planned just seemed to work. But yesterday, it finally hit me and I was able to lay things out in a way that made sense. So down went the roadbed and track is next, dropping feeders as I go.

But it is nice to have something running the loop on the lower level while working on the upper level.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  5:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark, your at 50 pages!

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

plavallee
New Hire

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  9:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Mark. The groudhogs say a long winter still a head.
Please keep the photos coming. They inspire the rest of us to get to work.

Some say"blind obedience".
I say "malicious compliance".

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  10:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pat!

quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Yeah Bill, and as some around here would quickly remind me, '... and not operating yet', but soon! I will have the last laugh!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 02/20/2014 10:11:09 PM

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  9:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Thanks Pat!

quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Yeah Bill, and as some around here would quickly remind me, '... and not operating yet', but soon! I will have the last laugh!

Do I detect an Evil laugh there Mark??

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  09:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You heard it loud and clear Bill!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  09:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its been a couple of weeks so here's a little update for those who might be interested. Things continue to progress, although nothing really picture worthy this time around.

I've continued track laying, now on the Wilkes-Barre branch. I'm about 1/4 of the way around, having completed the town of Nanticoke. I came to the painful realization that even though I kept all my track from the old layout, and have been collecting track and turnouts over the past 7 years, I still came up short! So it was off to the LHS to get another bundle of Code 70 track. This should be it, but it's going to be close! Track sure has gotten expensive!

SteamNut came over the other night for a work session. With the tracklaying almost complete, I decided it was time to start getting some of the controls installed. We began the night by cutting holes into my fascia so I can install UP-5 panels around the layout. Bruce has a handy template and his rotozip tool that makes quick work of this! Once that was done, we began the installation of tortoise switch machines on the mainline. Thank God Bruce is good at this. That is one of those projects that I detest.

Of course, since we began installing switch machines, that also meant I had to clean up the machines by removing all the old wiring from previous installations. Like trackwork, I've been collecting machines from train shows and sales from old collections. These come with an assortment of previously applied wires which had to be removed, but a night at the workbench with a hot iron made quick work of that.

And of course, wiring. I began running my loconet wire around the rest of the layout, and next have to complete installing wires for the switch machines. I've decided instead of installing control panels, I would install the turnout control buttons in a recessed hole in the fascia directly below the turnout. I don't have many mainline turnout controls and all of the industrial switches are manually controlled, so there aren't many switch controls. Add to that, the long range plan is to add CTC control someday, so the day will come when these local turnout controls aren't needed during op sessions. So the idea of installing the controls in a recessed hole is going to save me the time and aggravation of building control panels around the layout.

Next update will hopefully be worthy of some pictures as I resume some track laying and defining of businesses and industries along the right of way. Thanks for following along!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  05:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/17/2014 :  11:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

According to article 5 in the PA state grant license for railroad construction and rehabilitation monthly progress updates are required. You are delinquent on your April update and I fear you will be late on your May update.

The Commonwealth appreciates your cooperation.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  10:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, it has been a while, hasn't it? Ok Bob, an update shall be forthcoming. The last thing I want is the Commonwealth coming after me!

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  11:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are making really good progress, Mark. I look forward to pics when you get to that point!!

I found an easy way of installing protected toggles on the fascia. I think that I posted pics in my thread but not sure. If you are interested, I can either find them or take new ones for you. I also bought a very large box of mini toggles from Marlin P Jones for something like 35 cents a piece. They have worked well when they are protected on the fascia.

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  10:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm always interested in new ideas Andy, so if you can find it, that would be great. Bruce came up with the idea of using PVC pipe caps. I believe the ones we planned on using are 3/4". It's cheap, clean and functional, but if there is a better idea out there, I'm open to suggestions.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  5:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had been waiting for something more ‘photo-worthy’ before I updated, but I guess I’m getting to the point of construction where things slow down visually and aren’t so ‘photo-worthy’. Hopefully, scenery is in my near future and that will change.

In the meantime, here’s the progress that I’ve made over the past couple of months. In my last update, I had said that we had started installing switch machines and cutting holes in the fascia for the Loconet panels. Since my fascia wasn’t finished, we couldn’t finish cutting the holes. So that became a priority, and was something I was anxious to complete. So I finished installing the rest of the fascia around the lower level, filled in the seams with wood putty, sanded and painted all of the fascia flat black. What an amazing difference that made on the appearance of the railroad. Suddenly, the railroad ‘pops out’ at you! I do have black material that I plan to hang underneath the layout to hide all of the stuff stored under the layout, but I won’t hang that until later. The only little bit of fascia to complete is the area around the steps and in the staging yard, but the rest is done. With the fascia done, I could install the Loconet panels and wiring. That is now complete.

Next comes switch machines and switch machine controls. We started installing some of the machines and I had previously run the buss wires to control the machines. I had originally planned to install small control panels in each area, but in some cases, there are only one or two machines to control, and during operating sessions, eventually the dispatcher will control these machines via the CTC machine. I decided instead of devoting a lot of time to control panels that I really don’t need, I would install buttons in the fascia directly in front of where each turnout is located. These buttons will be recessed in the fascia. I will write more on that later once I install them.

Between all of these, I have been continuing track laying, although that has slowed down a little. The good news is I don’t have much to do before I will be able to run a train around the entire layout on both levels. Then it’s just a matter of laying in some termporary industrial spurs and we can begin some operations. I have most of the industries defined as to what they will be, but not as far as buildings. Hence, when I lay in the spur, it will be just laying there and can be easily moved to accommodate a planned structure or scene.

So here is what the room looks like now with the fascia painted. Of course, now that everything is black, it’s hard to see my progress, but I guess that’s the idea, right?

This first view is the view as you enter the railroad room, with Northumberland Yard on the lower level and Mt. Camel on the upper level to your left.

Looking back down the same aisle towards the steps, with Northumberland Yard on the lower level and Mt. Carmel, now at the far end on the upper level and the mine at Hickory Swamp to the right on the upper level.

Coming around the end of the peninsula gives you this view. On the lower level to the left and straight ahead is Sunbury, Pa., and to the right is Hummels Wharf on the Selinsgrove Branch. On the upper level to the left is the town of Shamokin. Straight ahead at the end of the aisle is Glen Burn Colliery, and to the right is Buttonwood Yard.

Turning around to the right gives you this view of the town of Wilkes-Barre on the upper level and Shamokin Dam on the lower level. This is where the Pennsylvania Power and Light plant will be located.

Walking down to the end of the middle aisle gives us a better view of Glen Burn on the upper level and what will be the town of Sunbury on the lower level. I have randomly positioned some buildings in Sunbury to try to get a feel of what I want to accomplish in this area.

Turning around to the right brings the back aisle into view. On the lower level is South Sunbury to the left and the town of Selinsgrove to the right. On the upper level is the Wilkes-Barre Branch, with South Danville to the left, Catawissa on the left at the far end of the aisle, Nescopeck on the right at the far end of the aisle and then Nanticoke on the right. As you can see, trackwork is underway on the upper level.

Here is a view of the early stages on Nanticoke. You can see the lumber yard and freight house positioned at the far end, and track laying in progress in the foreground. There will be a decent sized grain complex here as well.

And finally a view of the next phase; switch machines and buttons waiting to be installed on during SteamNut’s next visit! Maybe between now and then, I can finish the rest of the trackwork!

So that's where I am at this point. Thanks for stopping by to take a look.

Mark

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  9:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Mark, that looks great... really visually appealing... lighting, and painted ceiling, fascia and valence really emphasize the railroad!... looks like very good sight-lines to both decks... went back through your entire thread and didn't find any specific mentions of vertical dimensions other than floor-to-ceiling @ 6'-10"... curious what the heights are of your two decks and the dimensions of the fascia/valence... thanks... look forward to more.

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

Page: of 94 Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000