Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 66 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  6:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<picking Rick up off the floor> It's ok Rick, there is two of us and only one of him. We can control him... I think!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Yes, the project is moving along at a nice pace. Keep in mind though that the rest of the basement is still unfinished. This is NOT the fun part! But as Bruce suggested, even that is moving along fast, so hopefully we will be finishing up the sheetrock and ceiling shortly so that we can create a place for the trains in staging to go!

Mark

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  9:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-I had to ask...LOL!!! Everything looks great as usual. Rick made mention of raising the bar for the next feat-are we going to see a 1st ops session by year end? It's 5 months away-more than enough time for you guys to pull it off.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  9:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prrmatt

Mark-I had to ask...LOL!!! Everything looks great as usual. Rick made mention of raising the bar for the next feat-are we going to see a 1st ops session by year end? It's 5 months away-more than enough time for you guys to pull it off.

Let's not get carried away here Matt. Even I'm not that crazy! But hey, your layout is coming along and you are way ahead of me. If anyone should be challenged with a goal like that, it should be you! So.... when is the first session Matt?

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  10:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark and Bruce,
That is a great looking section of railroad. And to think it fit perfectly after it was built off site, that's truly amazing!! I'm really enjoying your adventure now. Please keep the pics coming!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  11:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"We can control him" Ok, Your on! Bring friends, Lots of them. So Matt, I seam to remember that you need to cross a doorway with track, And on two levels! Hmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  05:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

quote:
Originally posted by prrmatt

Let's not get carried away here Matt. Even I'm not that crazy! But hey, your layout is coming along and you are way ahead of me. If anyone should be challenged with a goal like that, it should be you! So.... when is the first session Matt?

Oooooo! Nice turn around, Mark! Way to slide the ole "Operate in Six Months" gambit onto Matt....LOL. Matt: don't fall for it...remind him that HE has all the bench work, track, and accessories needed to achieve the half-year goal...as well as the ultimate secret weapon: Mr. Tape Measure himself. Don't let him get away with that..

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  12:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm being ganged up on here?

Mark

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  08:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Why do I suddenly feel like I'm being ganged up on here?

If we wanted to do that we could've just thrown up a poll for everyone asking if they think you could pull it off...HMMMM LOL.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by MarkF

<picking Rick up off the floor> It's ok Rick, there is two of us and only one of him. We can control him... I think!

Good luck with that....try resisting his Svengali act of snapping the tape measure in and out while quietly describing how the change/addition is so easy, simple, quick, and NEEDED. Hard to resist, trust me...been there, done that, totally caved in every time.....LOL

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  08:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Great progress! That is quite a piece of engineering Bruce devised. I've seen Rick's single-deck version and it is impressive. The double decker must be a thing of beauty.

I'm planning a 5 x 8 (roughly) penninsula for my layout. Think two of these girders would support it? Then I wouldn't need legs mid-span and could roll my workbench under it.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  09:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put it this way, I had the bridge on the horses in the shop at there mounting points and then leand on the bridge mid span and nothing moved. That was 12 foot of span so 8 would hold up fine. You could always put one in the middle also.

Don't forget we are only hold up trains.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  11:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will concur with Bruce, the designer. While I haven't put my bridge through any kind of stress test, we all must remember that all we are supporting is trains and scenery. I think the biggest concern is any type of sagging over time. Well, the way Bruce designed these, that is NOT a concern for me. He sandwiched a 1x4 between two metal studs so it's like an I beam. It's a great way to go!

Mark

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  6:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys
Steady progress and some ingenious solutions in doing benchwork around the normal basement obstacles.
Peter
BCT.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  7:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, neat solution to your problem. Just one concern- how are you addressing the errant/ stray foot as the tracks exit out?
Your progress on the room is progressing well.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

PaulD
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  9:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Great topic and I'm enjoying it immensely. Keep up the eye candy it's nice to know how your getting around all your obstacles. Are you thinking of any valance at this early stage in the design? Looking forward to the helix design.

Dunny

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000