Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: Bluegill ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Al, in addition to the steps area, I've recently discovered at least one other area that will need some sort of protection such as plexiglass. On the lower level, I have another bridge scene where the bridge itself is near the edge of the layout and this needs protection as well as I have already knocked it a couple of times with my, how shall we say this, 'butt cheeks'. I do have some scrap plexiglass that I will be experimenting with. Stay tuned...

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  1:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great progress Mark!! Looks real good my friend. It is great to see trains running on the new trackage isn't it!

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  8:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is Bill. Thanks for the comments. Today I laid in some of the sidings in Hummels Wharf. I can't wait to start switching some of these areas!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 02/09/2014 8:36:24 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  10:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spurs and mock-ups!

Can operating sessions be far behind?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  09:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully not Bruce! That is my goal.

Mark

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  11:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress Mark!

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  11:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  8:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With over 8Ē of snow on the ground from last nightís Noreaster, and another 1-3Ē in the forecast, it was a great day to just stay in the basement and get stuff done, and that I did! Iíve gotten a lot done in the past week. Iíve started out laying out a few of the industrial sidings and defining some of the businesses. Still a ways to go though. I also started on the Wilkes-Barre branch, coming around the end of the peninsula from Buttonwood Yard. During this process, I decided it was time to drop some feeders and start getting the Wilkes-Barre branch fired up for the first time so I can test things as I go.

I started out with the mainline I recently installed in front of Buttonwood Yard, Next thing I know, I have things running in front of the yard, so why not power up the yard itself?

You may recall from my April 11, 2010 entry on this thread that my Buttonwood Yard is the old Reading Yard from Bill Gruberís Reading Railroad layout. After Bill passed away, I bought this section of his railroad as I realized it would be a perfect fit for what I planned for Buttonwood Yard. We moved it into my basement on that date and it has sat there ever since while the rest of the railroad was built around it. To the best of my knowledge, I donít think the yard has been powered up in at least 10 years or so.

So I started the process by examining all of the various feeders that were hanging down underneath the yard.

Here is a pic of the work in progress with alligator clips all over the place! This is Hummels Wharf on the lower level, directly underneath Buttonwood Yard. At this point, I was checking feeders with my meter to see what went where, making connections as I went along.

But perseverance paid off! By the end of the night, I had the yard ladder and tracks powered up and was switching cars in the yard!!!

I still have to get the engine facility done, but it sure feels good to see something running in the yard.

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  10:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So there is a silver lining to this snow. Nice to see that you are making serious progress because of it.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  10:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hurrah!

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  12:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, you are the first person to say something nice about the snow. So much progress this week - congrats. The branches are wired and laid out.

As a matter of historical note, the 'Reading Yard' was operational on November 21, 2009. The South Jersey Operators restored the railroad for one final open house. I was there that day to see the Reading run again. While Bill's design included too much hidden track, it was a wonderful railroad. Here is my picture of one of the freights running the main line past the yard.

We did not do any switching that day and I think we had trouble with some of the tracks.

It is a wonderful tribute to Bill Gruber to see the yard back in operation. Thank you!

Eric

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Way to make good use of a 'snow day' Mark. Puttin' down the tracks and operating them is the same day is GREAT progress.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  1:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're making lots of progress Mark.
Nice going.

As you think, so will you be.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  2:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to see Bill's yard running, again! Nice job, Mark.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  8:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Yes, it's been a good week for progress.

Eric, I was there the day of that open house and you are right, the mainline past the yard was operating, but before the open house, I believe they had to cut off wires to the yard to eliminate some shorts. Not sure when his last operating session was, but it was a while before that. Either way, it is nice to see it running again and I know it will get a lot of good use in it's new home!

Mark

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000