Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  12:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he identified this Rich character......."Of course, Rich (Harsco) will remind me ".... I don't think he deserves to be denigrated in such a fashion, do you?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  6:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so a little slip! Rich, Rick, whatever!

Mark

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  7:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's very nice to see your thread active again!

Don

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  10:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Don! Little by little, things are getting done. I'm trying to get back into a routine of at least getting something done each day, even if it's a few pieces of track laid.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2013 :  8:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the past few weeks, I’ve been working on getting more trackwork laid. My most recent focus has been the Selinsgrove branch. I started this by coming out of the lower level staging and working my way back towards Selinsgrove Junction.

This picture shows the Selinsgrove Branch coming south out of staging through the opening to the right into the town of Shamokin Dam, home of a Pennsylvania Power and Light plant. This actually represents the Reading RR as it enters Shamokin Dam to service the Pennsylvania Power and light plant in Shamokin Dam from the north, while the PRR enters from the south from Selinsgrove. The branch line is that track coming through the hole in the wall and running in front of the glue bottle in the picture.

You can also see an area which has not been painted black. That is a section of railroad from an old friend of Bruce’s that I acquired some time ago. The track on this section is hand laid and seemed to work out perfectly for what I wanted for the PP&L plant, so why not use it!

This plant will handle large blocks of coal, brought in from both the Reading and the PRR, which is what the prototype did! In this picture, the plant itself will be in the upper right area while a two track coal yard that store hoppers for the plant will be located in the foreground.

This shot is a close up view of the transition between the handlaid section on the right and the new area. Since handlaying track is not one of my strong points, laying in the transition between the handlaid track and Shinohara Code 70 track proved to be a challenge!

Here is an overall shot of the area on the lower level. Much of the plant will be low relief buildings located on the backdrop and hiding the hole in the wall. With this complex finally laid out, trackwork will continue eastward towards Selinsgrove Junction and complete the lower level.

But the biggest accomplishment was the result of an impromptu work session the other night that resulted in the official completion of benchwork! I have been saving this last phase until all the ‘large work’ was completed in the basement, as this step involves running the upper level track around the landing of the steps into the basement, through the steps and onto the Barrett Bridge, which connects the western portion of the railroad to the staging yard. This was impromptu because I realized I had a $10 off coupon from Lowe’s Home Improvement that expired that day! So a quick call to Bruce and thankfully he wasn’t busy. We headed off to Lowe’s and grabbed a sheet of ¾” plywood as well as two more sheets of Masonite so I can finally finish off the fascia around the layout.

After a long night of measuring, calculating and cutting, we ended up with this; the connection between the layout and staging. It isn’t pretty…yet, but will be!

This first view is looking down the steps as you head into the basement. In this view, you can see the two levels of tracks coming from underneath the steps. The lower level was painted black and track laid a while back. The second level is awaiting homasote, a coat of paint and then track. The third level of plywood will be the top, which will be trimmed out and painted to match the wall trim. Once I install the backdrop and fascia pieces on this unit, this section will look more like a built in bookshelf.

Here is the view from the basement looking back up to the landing. This view gives better perspective to the two levels and the top. Next step is to lay down the homasote and track and finally the upper level will be connected to the staging yard.

So now, no more excuses! Benchwork is done and I can completely focus on completing trackwork.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 11/30/2013 8:21:26 PM

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2013 :  9:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark!

Great progress!!

The tracks on the landing are really interesting. I'm curious - what's the radius in the curves?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2013 :  10:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the benchwork, Mark. The tricky part of joining handlaid to flextrack is avoiding a vertical kink; usually you have to put the flex on thinner roadbed.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  08:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, Mark. I know that this is a busy time at work, so any progress is great.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  09:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, the radius on the landing is about 22", tighter than anywhere on the railroad, but a needed here as I didn't want to impede onto the landing too much.

James, you are correct! Notice the white shims under the first turnout to get it lined up correctly. I was pleased though as after installation, I ran a block of cars through several times without any issues.

Bruce, you are correct. Working in retail this time of year leaves little time for railroading, but I'm determined!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  06:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Mark...now the REAL fun begins!

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  12:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great pics Mark!

The power plant in Shamokin Dam is in the news. Cheap natural gas from PA wells is trapped in the state due to lack of pipelines. The owners of the Shamokin Dam coal fired plant may shut down and open a natural gas electric generation facility.

Of course modeling pipelines would be a real niche hobby.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  1:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great progress Mark. Thanks for the update and photos. A friend of mine is also doing the through the stairs track work. How are you going to handle this? Wood trim and plexiglass? The reason I bring this up is inevitably someone will put a foot through it (less likely) or use it as a stair railing (most probable). I bring this up because my friend has had both happen to him.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  09:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, Eric and Bill!

Rick, your turn is coming!

Eric, that's why I like modeling in the mid-60's. No such problems back then. It's all about the coal!

Bill, trust me, I've pondered the same problem. That's one reason I wanted to build this as solid as possible, with a top shelf to cover it and help protect that area. The top shelf is 3/4" plywood supported from underneath, which will support quite a bit of weight. The fascia from the layout will continue into this area and around towards the steps protecting the front. I have thought about plexiglass, but still not sure about that as I want to maintain access to the track in the event of a derailment. I think I will take a wait and see approach and hope for the best.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 12/03/2013 09:38:51 AM

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  9:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I really enjoy following construction of your railroad. This closely follows what I am modeling in early Conrail. I just joined the group to follow your build along with Rick from HARSCO.... Cant wait to see more of your operations!

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  11:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bob! I appreciate your comments. As it so happens, Rick and I are close friends and live very close to one another and help each other out on each others layouts. I do hope to one day get to a state of completion like Rick has!

Mark

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 6.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000