Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  09:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to see progress Mark,

Phil

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see this thread pop up again and see the progress you've made.
Won't be long before the call for ops sessions happen.

As you think, so will you be.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  10:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I hope your right Rick. It seems like life keeps getting in the way of having fun on the railroad, but I'm getting there. The worst is definitely behind me. I want to push myself to get the rest of the track in and get things running. I keep getting tempted to work on scenery or a building, but there will be plenty of time for that ahead. Right now I want to get things running and work out the mechanical kinks first.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 10/16/2013 1:50:35 PM

CVSNE
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  4:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit CVSNE's Homepage  Send CVSNE a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Looks like you're making great progress.

Can't wait to see the layout take shape!
Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA
www.centralvermontrailway.blogspot.com

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  03:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great progress Mark!!!!!!

How do the trains come in and how do you get the engines off the train? (I ask this only because my crews couldn't remove the power from a train without backing the whole thing up to release the trapped power. I ended up adding escape crossovers in my yard)

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  10:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marty and Bill!

Bill, I assume your talking about the track arrangement in Buttonwood. The track closest to the aisle is the 'main line', while the next track in is the A&D (Arrival/Departure), which is double ended, so the engine can cut off, run around and then proceed into the yard via the crossover you see in the picture which heads into the yard lead. To be honest, this yard arrangement isn't perfect and subject to change, but I will wait until we start operating to see how things work out before committing to make any changes. This shouldn't be a busy yard. It only gets four through freights a day, two interchange jobs and three locals. So we will see how it works out first, then ponder any changes that might need to be made.

Mark

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  11:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark!

Great to see some progress again. Looks like you've done a lot during the "off" times. I'm looking forward to more!

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  2:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Thanks Marty and Bill!

Bill, I assume your talking about the track arrangement in Buttonwood. The track closest to the aisle is the 'main line', while the next track in is the A&D (Arrival/Departure), which is double ended, so the engine can cut off, run around and then proceed into the yard via the crossover you see in the picture which heads into the yard lead. To be honest, this yard arrangement isn't perfect and subject to change, but I will wait until we start operating to see how things work out before committing to make any changes. This shouldn't be a busy yard. It only gets four through freights a day, two interchange jobs and three locals. So we will see how it works out first, then ponder any changes that might need to be made.

That's busy! I didn't see the other end of the siding there. I was wondering if any trains ran directly into the yard. Then you would need an escape track. Operations ALWAYS shows your planning issues. That is how I ended up changing my track plan dozens of time for operations.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 10/17/2013 2:45:24 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  11:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark! Good to hear from you.

Yes Bill, you are correct. Its like anything else. You think you have it all figured out, and then get things up and operating, only to find out you forgot something. I expect that! And that's why I want to get operating as soon as possible and avoid any scenery until I know things are operating well.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  11:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday proved to be another productive day. As I mentioned, I've wanting to get the dirty work done and out of the way. So I hit another milestone yesterday. I finally completed ALL of the sub-roadbed! Yes, I finally installed the last little bit on the lower level on the Selinsgrove branch, which means I can now focus on track work.

Of course, Rich (Harsco) will remind me that I do have that section to install around the corner at the base of the steps. This connects Mt. Carmel to the staging yard. And while this is true, this is a quick one night project for us when Bruce and Rich make their next visit. I need Bruce's pick up truck to go to Loews to pick up the plywood I'll need for that project.

So other than that, all plywood and homasoate is installed! I still have to paint the roadbed on the Selinsgrove branch, but other than that, we are ready to focus on track laying and get things running.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  5:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll grant you the milestone, regardless of Rich!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  5:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrific progress, Mark! I came back from the MER and NER Conventions primed to get back to work on both models and the layout. Let's hope that the reality of fall yard work, etc., doesn't divert me too much.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  8:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you James! The heck with Rick!

Thanks Bruce. Yes, I heard there was conversation at the convention about my 'lack of progress', and its well deserved. Hopefully there is only a few weeks of leaves for us to worry about, then after that no lawn cutting, no leaves, no nothing... until the holidays. It's always something, isn't it?

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  8:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious as to who this "Rich" is you keep referring to....

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  9:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope its not your twin!!!!!!!

Page: of 95 Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000