Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  12:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Lynn!

It’s been another productive week! As I mentioned above, my next priority was to get the valences done, and with the assistance of the crew, it got done! Bruce and Rick came over last Wednesday night and after a quick trip to Loews, I picked up 4 sheets of Masonite. The Masonite that I found though has one side with a white shiny surface, and the other side is a nice smooth finish. I’m not sure what this is supposed to be used for, but it is perfect for a valence as the white side makes for a great inside surface on which the light will reflect.

After cutting the sheets down to 8” strips, the installation went fairly quickly. We used self tapping sheet metal screws to screw the valence directly to the angle iron we installed a few weeks ago. It couldn’t have gone better! Here are some pictures of the finished product.

First, the usual shot from the bottom of the steps as you enter the room.

Next, a shot down the middle aisle.

Here is a shot looking at the inside of the valence showing how the valence material is screwed to the angle iron installed a few weeks ago.

The next day, I quickly began the task of installing the lighting on the upper level. This has become a priority as between installing the ceiling and then the backdrops, portions of the room got dark! But, that is no longer a problem. This is a picture down the back aisle of the layout after installing the first few lights. I couldn’t wait – I just had to turn off the ceiling lights to see the effect and I am thrilled with how this is looking.

This is a shot of the Buttonwood Yard area. Between the new backdrop, valence and lighting, it looks completely different!

So I am on the home stretch of major construction projects. There is still some fascia to install, and of course more sub roadbed and the last few ceiling tiles, but other than that, it is done! I can now devote all of my time to track laying, wiring, etc., and get the railroad running!

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  01:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Mark, you are on the home stretch.

The photo of Buttonwood Yard really illustrates what a great system this is. I have to assume that the valence is high enough to clear your head when you lean in. You know why I ask.

Keep at it and construction will be done.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  03:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Boy! When you put your (and your crews) back in to it things sure get done. Looks great!

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  06:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  08:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Mark.

As you think, so will you be.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! Yup, it's finally coming together. My next big goal is to get the layout operating. While I am not officially committing to a date yet, I'm unofficially shooting for sometime this winter to at least start some sort of limited operation.

Eric, not to worry. I can easily lean in under the valence! It is 6'10" to the ceiling itself!

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  12:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks really good, Mark. And the white backing will help reflect the light!

Chuck

cprfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  12:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF
Thanks Dave! Good to hear from you. Yes, I was in quite the funk, but these recent accomplishments keep me fired up. While I enjoy 'construction', I miss the modeling and operation, but at this point, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that's what keeps me moving foward.

Usually for me, it's either the summer time or early fall when the spike drops on the toes...

Alan

--

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  02:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Alan, if you have followed this thread, I went through a major 'funk' last winter. For no apparent reason, I just couldn't get motivated to work on the layout. And then, without warning, I was back! I can't place it to any specific season or time of year. I think my problem is that there are times I push myself hard (like now), and then get burnt out and have to walk away. I should probably learn to pace myself!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  02:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well Mark your not the only one that was in a funk over the winter. I didn't do poop either. I should have had mine done long before Rocky Ops this coming weekend.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  08:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark looking good, Your right though,, this is one big layout,, waiting for your call to help out!!!

Cheers!, Joe

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  12:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Bill, let us not forget, this is a hobby, right?

Thanks Joe! I will definitely get you down here one day.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  3:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for another update, but I’m not sure just how exciting this update will be though. I have made a lot of progress, but at this stage, there is not much to show for it, but let’s get started.

First is the valence. As you may recall from my last update, we installed the valence about a month ago and I immediately set out installing the lighting on the upper level. All was good, and then the problems started. They say Masonite is a ‘stable material’, but I will argue that point. After about a week or so, I began to notice it was ‘warping’. Long story short, it expanded. This meant I had to unscrew the valence, let the masonite flatten out, and then sand about 1/16” off each end so it would sit flat and straight against the angle iron on the ceiling. Needless to say, this process consumed a lot of time!

As I made my way around the layout reinstalling the valence, I used wood filler to cover the screw holes and seams between each piece in preparation for painting the valence. While I was doing that, I was also doing the same thing to the fascia pieces; filling and sanding screw holes and seams. Of course, this process generates a LOT of dust! Realizing what a mess I was making, I figured this was now a priority so I could get all of the ‘dirty work’ done in the room.

Well, since I was getting dirty work done in the room, and I am so close to finishing the wood working part of the railroad, I might as well also install the remaining part of the sub-roadbed throughout the rest of the layout. I purchased the last pieces of plywood and homasoate I would need and installed those as well.

So while not 100% complete, I am almost there! I have more filling and sanding to do, more of the fascia to install, and only a few more pieces of sub-roadbed to install, as well as 12 more ceiling tiles to purchase, paint and install. At that point, I can officially call the ‘construction’ phase over! I hope to get this all done over the next month or so.

So here is some overall pictures of the layout as it looks today. You will notice that the entire room is now lit with only the layout lighting itself and the old ceiling fixtures are no longer used. The resulting effect is better than I imagined! Your eyes are drawn to the layout.

This first shot looks down the Northumberland aisle towards the steps. You can see the fascia has wood filler spots that have yet to be sanded. You can also see that while I have the lighting installed on the upper level, there are dark spots. I have only installed every other bulb so far. With about 160 lights throughout the layout, I only purchase about a pack or two at a time, which means I still have about 60 bulbs to purchase!

Turning around 180 degrees, you see this, which is what will be Wilkes-Barre on the upper level and Shamokin Dam on the lower level. Wilkes-Barre will be a large switching area fed out of Buttonwood Yard and promises to keep an operator busy for quite a while!

Shamokin Dam will feature a large power plant, Pennsylvania Power and Light, which will eat a lot of coal fed from Glen Burn as well as from the Reading.

These next two pictures show Buttonwood Yard. We have finally begun serious work on the final installation of the yard. You may recall that this is the old Reading Yard from Bill Gruber’s layout. It has sat here for the past couple of years while layout construction was done, but is now ready to get up and running once again. Bruce has adopted this as his ‘baby’ and began work on it last night, cleaning track and tracing the feeders.

That red piece of homasoate you see sitting in front of the yard is where the mainline will pass and has yet to be installed.

Turning to the left across the aisle from Buttonwood brings Shamokin into view. I have installed the branchline, passing siding and switches in Shamokin, as well as the wiring. The branchline is up and running up to this point and the town itself is well defined.

Walking down to the end of the aisle and turning to the right takes you into the back aisle. As you can see, all of the sub-roadbed is installed here. This upper level area will be the Wilkes-Barre branch. Immediately to the left will be South Danville. Further down on the left will be the town of Nescopeck and the area to the right will be the town on Nanticoke. There will be a decent amount of switching in these areas, keeping an operator busy for quite a while!

And then there is Glen Burn. Rick came over last night and brought over a couple of structures from his layout that he isn’t using. We used these to determine how the color will look and also get an idea of size of the structures. Using lots of pictures and diagrams I have accumulated, our goal here to capture the feel of Glen Burn rather than to attempt to model it exactly. That would be difficult, if not impossible with given space.

We spent most of the night just drawing diagrams of the placement of the various structures, as well as how we might go about building them. With these two structures in place, it gives me a good feel of what the final scene may look like, and I like it!!!

So that’s where I am at this point. My focus over the next few weeks is to finish the ‘dirty work’ and clean up the layout room. At the same time, I will continue with the Shamokin Branch and get that line installed all the way to Mt. Carmel and then turn my attention to the Wilkes-Barre branch, getting that line installed to Buttonwood Yard. I will then go back to cut in sidings and spurs as I further define each area and the location of various buildings.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 10/02/2012 3:22:51 PM

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  3:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a little bit of progress, master of understatement.

Masonite expanded -- what a pain.

The latest pictures are a whole new perspective -- your fan club can really appreciate how the railroad will look once trains are rolling.

Great progress Mark - keep on rolling.

Tony L
New Hire

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  5:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by MarkF
All was good, and then the problems started. They say Masonite is a ‘stable material’, but I will argue that point. After about a week or so, I began to notice it was ‘warping’.

Mark
If you need more masonite - HD has 4x8 sheet of what looks like one huge white tile on one side. This is the hardened masontie that will not chamge. White side great towards layout (also good for lighting), and masonite side to aisle to paint.

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000