Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: BN Highline layout construction
Page: of 96

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  07:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, Mark. I agree with you, the time you needed to paint those ceiling tiles is worth it.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Brunton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/27/2012 :  5:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brunton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, that's looking really good, Mark!
Do you have a date for the first ops session, yet?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  01:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bruce!

No Mark, not yet. I keep saying 'September'. It's an ongoing gag here, but unfortunately Bruce finally picked up on the fact that I never say a year! I'm plugging along but there is a lot to do before I can even consider some sort of limited ops.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  07:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"I keep saying 'September'. It's an ongoing gag here, but unfortunately Bruce finally picked up on the fact that I never say a year! I'm plugging along but there is a lot to do before I can even consider some sort of limited ops."

Well you could always say the 32nd of each month until your ready.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2012 :  12:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

quote:

"I keep saying 'September'. It's an ongoing gag here, but unfortunately Bruce finally picked up on the fact that I never say a year! I'm plugging along but there is a lot to do before I can even consider some sort of limited ops."

Well you could always say the 32nd of each month until your ready.

Or, how about February 30th!

I like the way you think Bill.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 07/28/2012 12:29:59 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  4:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve been on vacation this week so I’ve managed to get a lot done so far! Let’s start with the backdrops.

After installing the lower level backdrops, I went back and used wood putty to fill the screw holes and the seams between each piece. After lots of sanding and filling, I primed and then painted all the backdrops sky blue. Here are the results.

Here is a shot looking down the Northumberland aisle.

And this shot looking down the center aisle.

What a difference a little sky blue makes! To say this motivated me would be an understatement. I still have to install and paint the upper level backdrops, which I hope to do later this week.

Since the lower level is looking ‘finished’, I figured it was time to begin finishing the lower level trackwork. In addition, since I have begun trackwork on the upper level, I wanted to begin wiring and be able to test trackwork as I went along. Of course, this meant I had to connect the tracks into the helix on the lower level, which I did. Here is a shot of Sunbury with all of the trackwork into the helix completed. This is the Shamokin Track as it leaves Sunbury and enters the helix. To the left is what was called the ‘horn’ track due to the route it took through the town which looked like a horn when seen from above. The track to the right is the ‘cut off’ track, allowing trains to go south towards Enola. The track coming down the center represents an abandon track that crossed at grade in Sunbury.

With all of this finally installed, it was time to finish the wiring on the lower level and the helix, and then do something I hadn’t done in months; power up the railroad! That proved to be a bit of a challenge and I spent the better part of this morning trouble shooting several shorts that made their way onto the railroad. But I was persistent and by the afternoon was able to run a locomotive up the helix…

… and into what will be Glen Burn Colliery!

It feels good to finally see something running on the upper level. Still a long way to go, but this was another milestone!
With this step complete, I plan to continue laying track into Glen Burn and get that project started, as well as try to get the upper level backdrops installed and painted.

Mark

cprfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  7:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF
I’ve been on vacation this week so I’ve managed to get a lot done so far! Let’s start with the backdrops.

Amazing the things that get turned right after summer vacation !.

Alan

--

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  9:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the power up. The facia and backdrop really make the layout pop.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  2:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<Pssst...Mark...the "Lowes" billboard is upside down....>

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  3:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then does that make it a "Highs" !!!!! O.K. back into my hole in the ground.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  4:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Mark,, Progress,,,,,,,

Cheers!, Joe

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  7:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great update Mark, nice to see the progress in pics!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  12:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

<Pssst...Mark...the "Lowes" billboard is upside down....>

Pssst.... Rick.... it's not a billboard. It's an arrow, pointing to the area waiting for your talent to fill it with a colliery!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  12:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

Great update Mark, nice to see the progress in pics!!

Thanks Andy! The progress continues too! Tonight was more 'electrical' though. Finished some wiring, including powering up the detection circuits to make sure they were working, which they are! I also had to replace the battery in my Digitrax booster and tinker with some track issues. When the night was done, I sat and watched a train circle the layout a few times. And I realized - it's been a few years since I've been able to do that on my layout! What a great feeling it is to be able to do it again.

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 08/10/2012 12:48:03 AM

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  9:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The abandoned track would be the Reading Co line to Williamsport. SF was the tower name. It was in existence till 1976 when Conrail pulled up the diamond. Nice looking Buffalo line !!!
------------ Ken McCorry
A Buffalo Line modeler myself.

Page: of 96 Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: BN Highline layout construction  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000