Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  08:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

You guys are making fantastic progress. Your focus on this project is admirable.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  10:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guy! This part is definitely not as fun as modeling, but I know the effort will be worth it when it's done. I'm a firm believer that having a nice atmosphere adds termendously to the enjoyment of the hobby, and since I'll be spending a lot of time in the railroad room, then it's worth the investment! Truthfully though Bruce, if it weren't for SteamNut and Harsco, I would be anywhere near where I am.

Mark

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  10:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh, Wait till you see what we connect to those holes in the stairs. What a way to get to staging.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  11:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Yeh, Wait till you see what we connect to those holes in the stairs. What a way to get to staging.

I'm already working on a tiny sign to be posted above the riser openings:

"WARNING: please remove sunglasses before entering staging".

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  5:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-Everything looks great!!! I'm starting to learn that when I'm talking with you guys about any progress on any of your layouts, you're all way to humble. The pictures tell it all.

Originally posted by Steam Nut
"Yeh, Wait till you see what we connect to those holes in the stairs. What a way to get to staging."

So Bruce, are these tracks going to be set into the steps or what??? I'm sure that there's alot of curious minds out there where you're going with this! LOL.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  11:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh just wait till the pic's are posted.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  11:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Matt, to answer your question...

The question of the day is how to you get from your staging yard, to the other end of the basement, between a water heater and cinderblock wall with a span of 12 feet...

... and through the basement stairs?

You call in the professionals, BBB (Bruce Bridge Builders) Inc.! Bruce had already tackled a similar challenge at Rick’s house, but the challenge here was doing it with TWO LEVELS! We all know Bruce loves a challenge, so a few days ago when he was over, out came the tape measure and he was off and running! Well, I know that someday, a solution will present itself.

So then I get this call from Bruce today. He says “what are you doing tonight?” I tell him nothing and he promptly tells me “ok, I’ll be over at about 7. I have something for you!” Sure enough, promptly at 7, Bruce backs up my driveway and this is what I see…

… a completed, two level 12’ bridge section, complete with track and wired, ready for installation! He built this thing using 12’ metal studs, that sandwich 1”x4” material. Then 1”x4”’s and homasoate for roadbed. This thing is solid!!!

Now the question is, how do we get it into the basement? Well, let’s try the front door. So far so good, but as we make our way into the basement, we quickly realize that we are not going to make it around the landing. Back outside we go. (The neighbors are thinking we are nuts. And I’m thinking they are right!) It’s on to Plan B. Around to the back of the house, open the basement window and slip it through.

And in she comes!

It worked! Ok, now we’re ready for installation. I had already built a 40” extension to the staging yard. I got a 1”x6”, in which we cut ‘portals’. This piece would act as a leg, supporting the end of the staging yard and the bridge section. Watching us squeeze this monster between the water heater and the wall was interesting to say the least, but a little over an hour later, the bridge was installed and solid! The plan came together, and as Bruce said, "it’s almost like we knew what we were doing!"

Here is the left end of the bridge section where it meets the staging yard.

Now looking down the bridge towards the steps.

The next picture shows the other end of the bridge section as the tracks enter through the steps. Note the bracket Bruce made under the lower section. This supports the bridge at this end.

This shot shows the end of the bridge sections as they come through the steps. Notice that the roadbed comes through the steps and is 'floating'. They are not supported by the steps and traffic up and down the steps may cause fluctuations. All of the support is on either side of the steps and the roadbed simply goes through the steps. There will be another 1x6 here, making the transition to curve around the landing and onto the layout.

Looking through the hole back down towards the staging yard in the storage room.

With that done, my juices we flowing so we cut roadbed for the staging yard.

I should have the staging yard completed later this week and then who knows, maybe lay some track!!!

Mark

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  11:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man you guys work quick! Looks great!

Joe <><

maandg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  11:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit maandg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, I am following this thread with great interest. I am extremely impressed with your progress thus far. The design through the stair case is pure genius. Then to have Bruce's cool bridge assembly is icing on the cake. Ain't it great to have train buddies like Bruce?!? Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see your next installment!!

Cliff Powers
The Mississippi Alabama & Gulf
Please visit my layout website at
www.magnoliaroute.com

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  12:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark, Just catching up on the thread, boy are you are progressing fast. I like Bruce's ingenious solution to the track problem, it a great solution to an interesting problem. Can't wait to see the completed staging yard.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  07:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Man you guys work Quick" So Joe just wait till I get warmed up! Mark has no Idea how fast I can stud in that last wall. I see a load of sheet rock the first of August.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  08:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, very clever indeed. You devised a great way to solve a difficult problem.
Joe

Cheers!, Joe

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the proud owner of an earlier model, single deck BBB product, I can attest to its strength, durabilty, and ease of installation....looking at Mark's pictures reminded of the day mine was delivered, pre-wired, pre-tracked, ready to drop into place. Nice work as usual, Steam....you're setting the bar even higher for your next feat!

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  09:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh, Something about adding to your layout!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2009 :  2:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<thump>

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000