Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  05:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tap, tap, tap.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  10:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Mark, I'm not one to throw stones given the slow progress on my own layout.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  12:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Hey, Mark, I'm not one to throw stones given the slow progress on my own layout.

Chuck

Nah, didn't think you were throwing stones. I'm just feeling the pressure from some other unnamed persons!

Progress has been a little slow recenlty. I should say stopped! I've been working some long hours recently and by the time I get home, well it takes too much effort to even walk down the basement steps, if you know what I mean! However, I have a tentative track plan for Glen Burn that I think will work. So once I get a break from work, I'm going to give a go at it and see what happens. Stand by!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  4:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Chuck

Nah, didn't think you were throwing stones. I'm just feeling the pressure from some other unnamed persons!

Progress has been a little slow recenlty. I should say stopped! I've been working some long hours recently and by the time I get home, well it takes too much effort to even walk down the basement steps, if you know what I mean! However, I have a tentative track plan for Glen Burn that I think will work. So once I get a break from work, I'm going to give a go at it and see what happens. Stand by!

Me: "Hello everyone, my name is Harsco and I'm an "unnamed person".

Group: "Hi, Harsco!"

Me: "And I'm the one who's been pressuring Mark to get some some track laid"

Group: "And why's that, Harsco?"

Me, with an evil grin: "Because payback is a female dog and revenge is a dish best served cold, group!"

Group: "Ooooooohhhhhhh....."

Chuck, just as an aside, please feel absolutely FREE to tap your finger impatiently, since I used to be the getting the phone call or forum post: "Gee, why haven't you gotten <insert appropriate task here> done yet? You need to get your priorities in order..."

LOL

Edited by - Harsco on 07/16/2012 4:10:35 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  9:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Mr. Harsco, I guess with all the busting over the past couple of years, you've earned the right to get a jab in now and then. Ofcourse, each of my jabs was preceded by a visit to the Harsco plant, pulling wire, laying track, planning areas, surveying for operations, generating waybills, creating schedules and paperwork, maintenance.... Hmmmmm, looks like I have a lot of help coming my way!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  3:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve been making steady progress since the last update. Since installing the ceiling tiles, I began the task of painting those portions of the tiles that will be over the aisles. Sounds easy, but not so much! Those things eat up paint, and considering you have to place each one, trace where the valence will be, remove the tile and then paint, wait for it to dry (at least overnight), then reinstall and do more, well it is labor intensive! But in my opinion, well worth the effort!

To show the results, here is one picture looking at the entrance to the room from the stairway. Here you can see the black painted tiles, and where the tiles are over the layout remains white. You can also see the angle iron that will hold the valence.

Here is another view, this time in the aisle in front of Glen Burn Colliery. That area of white in the upper left part of the picture is the end of the other peninsula.

Iíve also begun laying track on the upper level, another milestone! This, however, is also proving to be a labor intensive task. I am using all of the track from my old layout, which is Micro Engineering Code 70 track, most of which was weathered and ballasted. What this means is that each piece of track has to be cleaned off before being installed. I soak each piece in soapy water to loosed the glue, then using a tooth brush, I scrub the track removing all of the old ballast. While it works well, it take time.
Here is a shot of the area of Glen Burn Colliery. The opening in the background is the helix area. A large culm hill will eventually cover this entire opening, so for the time being, ignore the ďLowesĒ foam piece! However, you can see Iíve already installed the branchline that passes through Glen Burn (the track with the cars sitting on it) and have begun laying out the trackwork for Glen Burn. Iím really excited about installing the trackwork in Glen Burn as Iíve been doing some research and gaining a good understanding of what went on there and the associated track work. Rick (Harsco) has taken on the task (whether he realizes it or not) of helping me scratchbuild the various buildings and conveyors for the complex, which I might add, will be no easy task!

Coming around the corner is the town of Shamokin, Pa. I have laid the branchline through here but the siding has yet to be installed. Glen Burn is at the end of the aisle straight ahead. There will be a road bridge at the far end and the town itself will be modeled in the area to the left. This area will feature a lot of small business served by the railroad.

Another work session last night brought major progress to the project! Bruce came over last night and we headed to Lowes and I purchased six sheets of Masonite. After cutting them to size, we began the task of installing all of the backdrops. What a difference that made to the room!

You can see the upper level backdrop in the picture of Shamokin above. This is only sitting in place as we ran out of time last night so it is not permanently installed yet, but gives me a really good idea of what I have to work with.

This picture looks down the center aisle and shows the lower level backdrops that are installed. I have to go back and finish screwing them to the framework, seal up the joints with some wood putty and then paint them blue.

This is a view from the bottom of the steps as you enter the railroad room. Again, the upper level backdrop is only sitting in place for the time being, but gives you an idea of what things look like now. I left a good 5Ē open at the top to provide for air flow in the room, a lesson learned from my old layout!

And another view looking down the first aisle back towards the steps.

So now the next step is to finish installing the upper level backdrops, clean them up and paint them sky blue.

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see progress, Mark. Someone accused me of inundating you with too much Glen Burn information that it stalled progress on the layout!

But, now I have a good visual for where Glen Burn will sit. And the culm bank you have planned is perfect, since the prototype was so large.

Chuck

Tony L
New Hire

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  5:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by MarkF

Iíve been making steady progress since the last update.

Wow, you really do have a new layout abuilding. Thought you were spending too much time keeping an eye on an individual close to you. Starting signaling yet? Need help??

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is motivating you this summer?
- Five Hour Energy shots
- The hot weather
- LV Ralph

The multiple pictures are very welcome, along with the commentary. Trains will be running soon.

The overall finished look in the room - ceiling tiles, fascia, painted backdrops, etc really enhances the scene. Much hard work to get here but you will enjoy this for years to come, as will the op crews.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  5:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. What. A. Difference!

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  9:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress mark, looking good,

Cheers!, Joe

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  11:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Chuck; no worries! Your input has been valuable! All those pictures and links helped tremendously and I'm really focused on what to do. Now I just need to do it!

Tony; Signaling is coming... someday. But it is real low on the list of priorities. Too much to build right now. But once I get operating and scenery is well underway, then I'll give that project some thought. I do have all of the detection in and working though.

Eric; I'm always motivated. It's just that sometimes life gets in the way of substantial progress. But at this point, with the backdrops going in, I finally feel like it's a railroad and not just a pile of lumber. It's also allowing me to focus on specific areas. It's amazing what the backdrops do!

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 07/25/2012 11:59:20 PM

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  04:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now that is some nice progress Mark! The Glen Burn colliery will be a busy place when you get done with the track for sure.

Now, you must have a good investment in the code 70 to go through all the ballast stripping just to use it. It will look grand there. And you told me I was doing things the hard way. Sheesh!

The back drops do make quite a difference in the room. I am glad to hear you left room for ventilation. It really does make a difference.

Good job on the work so far Mark. Keep it coming!

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  04:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tony L

[quote]Originally posted by MarkF

Iíve been making steady progress since the last update.

Wow, you really do have a new layout abuilding. Thought you were spending too much time keeping an eye on an individual close to you. Starting signaling yet? Need help??

You don't need to keep an eye on Bruce. Nice progress.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  6:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Now, you must have a good investment in the code 70 to go through all the ballast stripping just to use it. It will look grand there. And you told me I was doing things the hard way. Sheesh!

Thanks Bill! At the prices of track today, any track is a 'good investment'. It seems to be the only thing going up in value, beside gas!

Since I had planned to do the entire upper level in Code 70, and when I bought it, it was $23.85 for a pack of 10 pieces, yes, I figure it's a good investment in time and money!

Actually, in going through some of the track, I came across about 10 pieces of Code 55 that I didn't realize I still had, so guess what? Glen Burn will be done in Code 55! And that doesn't even need cleaning!

Mark

Page: of 97 Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000