Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  10:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grubes

Amazing design and construction. Bruce, a great accomplishment.

Mark, Good to see that the funk is behind you.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Yes, it's gone! Finally! Been downstairs just about everyday the past week. I'm pushing to get the rest of the wood working done. About 1/2 of the roadbed on the upper level is in and painted. Then it's fascia and backdrops, which I hope to get done in the next week or two. And of course, the ceiling. Those last few steps will finish off the room and allow me to focus on the fun stuff - the track and scenery.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  5:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress by you and your crew, Mark. Glad you're back at it.

Vagel

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2012 :  12:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vagel! Yes, the juices are flowing again. I continue to plug away to finish up the 'construction'. I think one more sheet of plywood should finish things up, the backdrops and backdrop painting. An update will be forthcoming.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  01:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, itís been a while since Iíve updated! I have made a lot of progress, albeit slowly.

I left off saying that the helix was finally finished! We had placed the subroadbed for Glen Burn Colliery on the second level which also covers the helix. Since that time, Iíve installed most of the subroadbed on the second level and begun installing some of the roadbed. Since I donít draw track plans well, I have to go with what is in my head, lay it out on the layout itself and tweak it from there, which is what Iíve been doing and itís worked out well for me. Fortunately, as I do this, most of what I had Ďplannedí has come out better than I imagined. I lucked out in the respect that I have more room in the various areas than I envisioned, which is allowing me to be what I call Ďscenically generousí. I plan to avoid cramming as much track as I can into a given area and want to allow room for nice scenic areas and mini-scenes.

Iíve also begun installing the fascia on the layout, which can be seen in some of the pictures below. This has given the layout a nice finished look! Itís finally starting to look like a layout!

Most recently Iíve turned my attention back to finishing the room. This section should be called Ďdonít do what I didí! First thing I accomplished this past week was to finally paint the walls sky blue. Why I didnít do this before benchwork is beyond me! It would have been a lot easier. Then, due to a tight modeling budget, I had to put off the ceiling until now. Needless to say, while Iím glad I didnít put off progress on the railroad itself, putting a drop ceiling in AFTER the benchwork can present challenges! But we did it! The ceiling grid is now in and tiles are next. But here is where it gets interesting. As you can see, the room lights are attached to the rafters in the basement. These were temporary and will eventually be covered up when the ceiling tiles go in. With the exception of a couple of Ďhigh hat lightsí, the only lighting in the room will be from the layout, which is generous and bright. But I havenít installed the lighting on the upper level yet because that gets installed onto the valence, which hasnít been installed yet because it gets hung from the ceiling grid. So you would think I could install that now, right? Well, it occurred to me the other day that I shouldnít install the valence yet until I install the upper level backdrops down the peninsulas since the valence will get in the way of installing the backdrops. As the saying goes, which came first, the chicken or the egg! So the next project will be to install the backdrops on the upper level peninsulas, get that out of the way, then the valence, then the upper level lighting, then I can install the ceiling tiles! Did you all follow that?

So here are some shots of where I am at this point. This first shot is down the first aisle. This is what you see as you come down the steps. Notice the blue walls and the ceiling grid in place.

The lower level is Northumberland yard and the upper level is the Shamokin Secondary track approaching Mt. Carmel, which is to your immediate left. At the far end of the peninsula on the second level will be the location of a nice mine complex in a town called Hickory Swamp. Yes, it is a real town on the Shamokin Secondary!

Walking down to the end of the first aisle and going around the end of the peninsula brings this into view. The first peninsula is on your left and the second peninsula is on your right. The town of Sunbury is located on the lower level, starting on the bridge to the left and continues down to the section at the end of the aisle against the wall. Glen Burn Colliery will be on the upper level, directly above Sunbury at the end of the aisle.

To the right is Buttonwood Yard on the upper level and Millerburg, Pa. on the lower level. Millersburg is located on the Selinsgrove Branch, which comes off the main on the lower level.

Walking down the second aisle and turning left brings this into view. Sunbury is now behind us and we are looking down the third aisle. On the lower level left is South Sunbury and what will be a large industrial park, home of a distribution complex for a large supermarket chain. The main continues down to the end of the aisle and continues off to the right into staging. At the end of the aisle is where the Selinsgrove Branch comes off and comes down the peninsula to the right of the picture. Selinsgrove will be in this area.

To the left on the upper level is the town of South Danville on the Wilkes-Barre branch. The branch continues down towards the wall into Catawissa, then on to Nescopeck on the right hand side, then around the end of the peninsula and into Buttonwood Yard.

This is a shot of what will become the Glen Burn Colliery on the Shamokin Secondary Track. I modeled this on my previous layout, but a much smaller version. This version will be a much larger version with all of the support facilities modeled. So not only will this generate much more coal traffic, but a lot of work for the local as well.

You can see the opening where the helix is located, which will be covered up with a backdrop. The roadbed in the foreground runs to the left and into the helix, which is below Glen Burn.

From Glen Burn, you enter the town of Shamokin. Here the branch line snakes it way through the town which will feature an interchange with the Reading Railroad, as well as several line side businesses.

The Shamokin Secondary will continue around the end of the peninsula and down the other side towards the far corner to the left which will be the town of Mt. Carmel where the PRR interchanged with the Lehigh Valley. The support columns in this view will disappear once the backdrop is installed.

So thatís where I am at this point. I feel like the bulk of the big work is now behind me. A little more roadbed to install and then track laying will begin on the upper level!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  03:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

A "little" progress? It looks like a LOT of progress sir! Nice work. That fascia gives it a finished look for sure. Your whole room character is going to change once you put that drop ceiling in.

I went through the same thing you did. Painting the backdrops after the railroad is in. PITA! But is sure makes it worth while. I have the same 'foresight' as you when it comes to lighting. Mine is installed in the rafters and the layout lighting will change when I put my low voltage lighting in. But unlike you I have no room for a drop ceiling. I have to figure a way to put in a ceiling over the layout without losing more than an inch headroom. That should be a challenge.

Like they say: "hindsight is 20/20". Really nice job Mark. It's looking really nice. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 06/03/2012 03:36:37 AM

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  05:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's definitely a slog, Mark....but you're getting through the dreaded construction phase little by little. The blue makes a HUGE difference too.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  06:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOOKIN GOOD. Hell, if you stop building other peoples layouts,and attending op sessions, we should be operating next month! Tic, Tic, Tic.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  11:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill! Your right, the whole room character will change. All along, I wanted a 'finished room' in the basement, and that's what I will have. That's the part of the project that's been hanging over my head so it feels really good to finally get it done.

Rick, your right, it's almost behind me! Yes!

Ralph, I will never stop helping friends or going to op sessions. I need some reason to get out of the basement!

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  12:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Go back to the first page and see how much progress you made. This is starting to look like a finished model railroad room.

The blue sky, the fascia, the black paint and the ceiling really make the scene. This day always seemed to be years away.

You are getting close to 'open house' time -- ops will take more time. I will bring some snacks!

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  5:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
Great progress!! Thanks for posting the photo update. I understand your frustration with which to do next (your chicken or the egg!!), I did several things backwards and although it works out in the end, it can be frustrating!!

KLooking forward to seeing that ceiling in place!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  11:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Eric, you are right! Check this out. Here is the view from the steps as of March, 2009....

... and today, three years later.

Kinda feels good to see the change! You won't see this view soon though as once the backdrops go in, you won't be able to see the whole basement.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  11:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

Hi Mark,
Great progress!! Thanks for posting the photo update. I understand your frustration with which to do next (your chicken or the egg!!), I did several things backwards and although it works out in the end, it can be frustrating!!

Thanks Andy. Yes, I try to plan in advance, which is why the crazy approach to the ceiling tiles. The one that escapes me is why I didn't paint the walls blue earlier, before benchwork! But I continue to try to anticipate the problems and plan accordingly. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't, but I'm getting there none the less.

Mark

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  8:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark, that is good progress!

Cheers!, Joe

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  11:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With roadbed now going in on the second level, I am starting to really focus in on some of the various industries going in on the layout. Since I model a prototype area, and am fortunate enough to have a photocopy of the CT1000, which is a listing of industries the railroad served and it provides me with the opportunity to research the names of the various industries, what they did and what types of traffic they will generate. This has been an interesting project unto itself!

I am getting ready to start laying out Glen Burn Colliery. This was a huge complex in it's day, and in the day I am modeling, it was starting to be downsized. The prototype was in operation until 1970, but in my era, it only filled about 10 cars a day. Here's where modelers license comes into play for me. I plan to backdate the operations of the facility a little bit to generate more traffic. In it's day, there was a train that ran between Glen Burn and the Pennsylvania Power and Light plant in Shamokin Dam, but apparently that stopped before my era! Well, not in my world! It's kind of ironic that now that I have enough room to model this facility and operations and do it justice, I come to realize that in my era, they didn't use half of the facility!

So along with this research and doing some odds and ends on the layout (nothing really photo worthy at this point), I have also continued on my efforts to get my rolling stock out and put through a standards check. If you look at the one picture of the Northumberland yard area in my last post, you will notice stacks of kit boxes sitting on the layout. These are cars that I have purchased over the past year or so from other 'estates'. So one by one, I have been going through the cars, adding metal/resistance wheelsets, checking coupler heights, etc., and putting them on the staging yard, which is now filling up quickly! This has now prompted me to finish the upper level staging yard so I have a place to put more cars as I finish them. I have a total of about 370 cars and have gone through about 130 of them so far.

So everyday, I do a little here and a little there, but it's adding up! On my next 'crew call', I plan to install backdrops on the peninsulas, which will really change the looks of the layout.

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  01:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good plan. When I had my water episode I called in the troops and they helped get my car fleet back in running order. All cars got a tune up with and Exact Socket and I/M wheel set where appropriate along with coupler height and truck adjustments. This helped me get the railroad back up and operating again. Have you considered having a few friends over to give you a hand Mark? Just give them a set of standards and cut them loose!

The colliery sounds like a big operation. Have you got that many hoppers and gons? Twins or quads or both? Are you going to model the Dinky House tram? The PRR, Reading and LV all did business with that particular colliery. Are you going to have some Reading and Lehigh Valley trains call on it? That should be quite the facility.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000