Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 97

PEIR
Section Hand

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  08:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That helix is an impressive piece of engineering Steam!

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  11:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, bet you and Steam are both glad to get the helix completed, it looks great. Congrats on clearing that milestone . Between the two of us, I wonder if Steam is having nightmares about helices yet? Did you happen to hear if he was mumbling to himself when he was wrapping it up? While he's smiling in the picture, I'm sure at the thought of almost being done, he could very well be cracking up too, LOL!!! What have we done to our dear friend???

Joe, you only scratched the surface with the Three Stooges comparison...I'll leave that one alone for another time. Haven't seen that one in a while but think you nailed it.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  09:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, Matt, he was definitely mumbling to himself! And yes, we are both extremely happy to be at this stage. Plans are now underway for roadbed on the second level. I have to install the DCC busses, but after that, it's time for roadbed.

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  12:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce was over the other night and our big project for the night was finishing the helix!

Bruce had already installed all of the remaining helix pieces on a previous work night, so that meant we were ready to make the transition from the helix to the roadbed on the upper level. The tricky part here though is that the Glen Burn Colliery complex is to be located on the real estate directly over the helix. This meant we had to install a piece of plywood, roughly 3’x8’ over the benchwork and the rods that support the helix, then cut a section of that plywood ‘cookie cutter’ fashion to connect to the last piece of the helix.
After some careful measuring, cutting and hole drilling, we successfully lowered the plywood into that area over the helix!

Here is Bruce looking over the area. You can see the threaded rod protruding through the plywood subroadbed. These will later be cut off.

To make this project even more challenging, the area over the helix is being supported by those threaded rods, which means that to level the area, we had to adjust each nut and washer from underneath until the entire area was level. From this view, you can see the helix in the lower part of the photo.

After the leveling, we installed the homasote roadbed to the plywood, gluing and screwing it all together.

Bruce then went back and cut off the protruding threaded rods level with the top of the homasote. The opening in the wall to the left will be covered with backdrop material later on.

This is a view that won’t be seen once scenery begins, but from here you can see the last section of the helix in the background, and then the roadbed for the Shamokin Secondary track that curves off to the left, and the Wilkes-Barre track that comes off straight to the right. A strategically placed backdrop will conceal the Wilkes-Barre track until it appears near the foreground. That same backdrop will curve to the left, separating the Glen Burn area on the Shamokin Secondary track from South Danville on the Wilkes-Barre branch. From this point, the two branch lines head in opposite directions on the upper level and the backdrop will act as a visual separation of the two geographic areas.

Since that night, I have been busy wiring up the helix. The helix will be equipped with detection, along with video cameras to aid operators during op sessions.

With this milestone achieved, I can now move forward with trackwork on the upper level!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  04:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations!! It is indeed a milestone. When I got mine in and operational what a change in operations it made. Bravo!

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  06:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding! Nice work, gentlemen....I know this is the breakthrough you've been waiting for Mark...now, let 'er rip!

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  06:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my "Kill Roy was here shot",

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  07:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, guys. Let the track laying on that upper level begin!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  07:35:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the milestone, Mark! It won't be long, now.

Chuck

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  07:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark! Lucky to have Bruce there for sure,,

Cheers!, Joe

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  09:43:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent progress Mark,

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  11:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I have to give Bruce all of the credit here. The man built one heck of a structure and it feels good to see it finished. Only a few pieces of track to be laid and then we will have landed on the second level, and then its all on me! So now I'm busy laying down more plywood and homasote on the rest of the upper level benchwork and go from there.

Mark

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  8:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Bruce

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  05:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boys are GOOD!

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing design and construction. Bruce, a great accomplishment.

Mark, Good to see that the funk is behind you.

Dave

Page: of 97 Previous Topic: Scenery Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000