Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 42 ]  [ Total: 48 ]  [ Newest Member: CURMUDGEON ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 95

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same as Joe, this looks like it will be a big layout.

As you think, so will you be.

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  12:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, do you realize how much railroad that is....and there's a second level, too! Hueber

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  1:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lv4142003

Mark, do you realize how much railroad that is....and there's a second level, too! Hueber

Ignor Hueber...when are we operating!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  2:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee, if I had a layout THAT big to build, I certainly wouldn't be wasting time sitting at a workbench and putting kits together.....ROFLMAO

Sorry...couldn't help myself, Mark....

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Mark. That is some yard. The Wilkes-Barre branch should be fun to operate.

BTW, NOW your workbench looks like a workbench! Hmmmm......Now where did I put that file....

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  10:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. And oh yeah, Heuber, be quiet and go back and sit in the corner!

As far as the size of the layout goes, well yes, it is rather large I guess. It's those times when I'm working on the layout and then take a break for a moment, look up and realize how much more there is to do. It gets a little overwhelming, especially when your sitting these cleaning ballast out from a turnout.

But as Bruce said, it is one of the enjoyable aspects of the hobby... in some sick twisted way! But I am having fun!

Mark

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  06:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Mark once said, Were going to operate in September! He just can't pick a year!! LOL!

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  07:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Not much progress??????? I don't know about that, looks like there has been a lot accomplished to me.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

As Mark once said, Were going to operate in September! He just can't pick a year!! LOL!

I did say September. And your right, I didn't say what year! But still lots of time before this September. Just need to get that helix connected to the upper level.

Mark

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark-

Great update!!! "Slowed considerably..." you're making great progress, can't wait to see what you get done at full throttle. Great job, thanks for sharing.

MK

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  11:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it’s been while since my last update. It would appear that summer time activities have kept me out of the basement for the most part. That, and I guess I've been in a bit of a slump, or as Harsco puts it, a 'funk'. Whatever you call it, I haven't gotten much done over the summer! But, while there is little progress to report, there is some progress.

As you may recall, I began working on the second level. I had begun laying track in the upper level staging yard and was preparing to install roadbed into Buttonwood Yard. But quite frankly, ever since we installed Buttonwood Yard, I wasn’t totally happy with the layout of the yard.

You may recall it was about a year ago that we moved the yard section from Bill Gruber’s house to my house. We laid it in place and I had a yard! And while I love the yard itself, something about it bothered me. As can be seen below, we laid it out the same way it was on Bill’s layout – with the mainline in the back of the yard. This made sense to us at the time, even though my mainline had to go in front. We compromised by moving the yard back, allowing 5” for an additional piece of roadbed for the mainline and we would tie it into the yard. We decided that the ‘old mainline track’ would become industrial sidings. Somehow, I would make it work.

Finally one day several weeks ago, I was downstairs looking at it again and it hit me – it’s backwards! When looking at it I realized if I simply turned it 180 degrees, the original mainline would now be in front. Why didn’t we do this in the first place? Darned if I know! So, I unscrewed the whole thing and slowly rotated it 180 degrees and laid it back down in place. After staring at it for about 15 minutes, I was convinced this was a better arrangement as it addressed all of the concerns I had previously!

Finally being happy with this new arrangement, I lifted the section, propped it up and painted the underside white (to reflect the lower level lighting) and then re-installed the yard in its new, final arrangement! I am much happier with this arrangement.

With this obstacle now out of the way, the installation of roadbed on the upper level continues.

My other main objective for this fall is to finish all of the ‘heavy work’ in the railroad room. I still have yet to install the suspended ceiling in the room, which is the last room project – something I really want to complete. Of course, before I can do that, I have to at least begin to install the layout lighting as once the ceiling is installed, the temporary lighting in the basement will be covered up. Of course, I can’t install the lighting until I install the lighting circuits! UGH! This is the kind of stuff I really don't enjoy and what gets me into these 'slumps'!

But, determined to get this project moving again, that was my next project. I installed two lighting circuits; 1 for the upper level and 1 for the lower level. I would post pictures of this project, but if romex wiring and junction boxes really interests you, your in the wrong forum! With this now complete, I can now install the lighting itself. Of course, this means I first have to finish the rest of the benchwork on the upper level, which is my next project.

So I think my slump is over and sawdust will begin flying in the days ahead! Trains running on the upper level by the holidays? Who knows!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  05:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see things moving on the Northern Division, although I noticed that you once again failed to specifically mention which holidays....or year....LOL. I'm with you, Mark...that carpentry/benchwork/electrical stuff just doesn't get the mojo flowing, does it. Hang in there...it gets better!

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  05:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you working on this. Getting past those projects that block progress will speed things up. I hate doing rough scenery and when ever the layout needs it, progress comes to a halt.

Keep plugging. You need to open for a division meet so, people can see this beautifull layout under construction.

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  1:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Ralph. You should open up during the Haddonfield meet so we can see your progress in person.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  3:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clever re-work but worth it. Much better to fix things now that "nagg" you than to keep on going. The yard does looks better,,,

Cheers!, Joe

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000