Railroad Line Forums - Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 95

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  08:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark
It's a pleasure to see someone who can keep focused and make continuous progress. the Sheetrock and walls look great. Looking forward to the next round of progress photos.
Peter
BCT

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  11:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tape measure is ready!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  4:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The storage room and closet are now completed! The floor is painted and the rooms are ready to ‘move in’!

Below is the new closet behind the workbench area and under the steps. You can see the opening in the framework for the eventual installation of the paintbooth. Steel shelving will go in here to store kits and other hobby related ‘stuff’!

Bench work for the staging yard is now completed. I used some of the old 1x4’s from the old layout, and the black 2x4’s act as legs that will also support the staging yard on the upper level as well. (This is used lumber - I did not paint them black. I'm not THAT anal) The overall size of the “L” shaped staging yard is 12’x30”, and 4’x30”. The lower staging yard will hold 12 tracks, while the upper yard will be 6 tracks.

My ‘game plan’ at this point is to put the shelves in underneath the bench work and finish this room, organizing it with everything that will be stored here. This will open up the main layout room so we can continue construction on the exterior walls.

I will use our work nights to focus in the main layout room, continuing the work to finish up the exterior walls, and on the off nights I will turn my attention to finishing the new wall, doing the taping and spackling. This will allow me to eventually install my workbench so I can finally have a place to get some modeling done again!

Once that is done, I will turn my attention back to the staging yard and can spend time laying track, doing wiring, installing switch machines, etc., and hopefully have that completed by the time we begin bench work on the rest of the layout.

At least, that’s my plan!

Mark

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

The tape measure is ready!

Well, as you can see, mine has been working fine!

Mark

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  6:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark
Congrats ... tremendous progress.
Peter
BCT

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  8:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are moving quickly, Mark! Great job. I just need to add a wee bit of benchwork for a return loop on my layout. Want to help? ;-)

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  11:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the positive comments, but don't let this quick progress fool you. There is still a lot of grunt work to be done before anymore benchwork goes up. But I do hope to make some steady progress.

Chuck, I'll do your 'wee bit of benchwork' if you'll do my basement! This is the part I dislike the most; the prep-work. Yes, it will be worth it, but I won't be happy until it's all done and I can focus on laying track, scenery, etc.

Mark

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  11:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Just catching up on the thread, nice to see you finally starting on your new layout. Great progress so far and I'm looking forward to your next update. This will be a fun layout to see unfold.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  09:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
You are making great progress and you are doing such a nice job of it also!! Really enjoying your daily updates!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  12:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess it's time for an update. No railroading per se, but progress!

SteamNut has been over a couple of times since the last post, and we have managed to frame out two more walls! We are working around the cinderblock walls of the basement, prepping them for sheetrock. Once the man developed the system, he moves quickly!

About 4' up the wall, there is a 4" step in the cinderblock. We framed the cinderblock walls, using 2x4’s above the cinderblock step, and gluing ferring strips with Liquid Nails to the 2x4's from the top and to the cinderblick to bottom, creating a nice structure to which we will apply the sheetrock.

This first picture shows where we started, the area coming down the steps.

Once we got to the ‘I’ beam in the center of the basement, we framed out a wall that will create a ‘closet’ for all the water pipes, but also create a room that will hide 2/3 of the helix. The helix will be located in the far corner where the framing stops. We are leaving this open for now until we figure out exactly how to build the helix in place.

With the front wall done, we turned our attention to the rear wall of the basement. This picture shows our work from the other night, everything up with weights and supports temporarily in place while the Liquid Nails sets. I have to tell you I was at first a little hesitant about using 'glue', but when this stuff sets, good luck! I think it works better than nails!!!

With these two walls done, that leaves the long sidewall of the basement, then it's on to sheetrock. This is moving faster than I had thought, so I'm feeling good about starting benchwork in the near future.

Speaking of benchwork, when we were done the grunt work for the night, Bruce disappeared into the closet with his tape measure. Around here, we all know that spells trouble! Next thing I know, I hear the sound of his roto-zip tool and the next thing I know, there are holes in my steps!!!

I had already calculated which risers the track would go through. Bruce is now planning to build the bridge section that goes from the staging yard, behind the hot water heater, through the closet and then through the steps. This bridge section will be similar to the one he built for Harsco a year ago, using 12' metal studs for support to span a long distance. It's great!!!

This week I’m on vacation so hope to get a lot done. I’ll be moving more stuff out of the basement to my new upstairs office, and then begin, and hopefully got a lot of the spackling done!

Mark

hunter48820
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  7:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holes in the stairs! Now why would you put holes in the stairs??

Looking great Mark. Steam is really moving these days. He ought to have his own golden throttle with his initials when all is said and done!! Thanks for the update. Really look forward to them. Can't wait till track and roadbed are involved but I bet I'm not he only one!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2009 :  9:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hunter48820

Steam is really moving these days. He ought to have his own golden throttle with his initials when all is said and done!! Thanks for the update. Really look forward to them. Can't wait till track and roadbed are involved but I bet I'm not he only one!

Please, don't give Steam any ideas, although I must confess, the man does deserve it!!!

Yes, you are not the only one who can't wait for track and roadbed, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's coming soon!

Mark

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  11:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking good Mark!

Joe <><

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  1:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark,
Good idea to use Liquid Nails on the furring strips. It's fast and easy. Keep the momentum going and you'll be running trains in 09!

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal & Edisto Railroad
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19182

shark_jj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  08:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see the progress Mark. We all know the tedium of getting the layout room ready, but you are right, it will be worth it.

John Johnston
Grand Trunk Southern

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000